Author Topic: Eye problems  (Read 5849 times)

Offline IvotB

Eye problems
« on: September 20, 2013, 09:22:04 PM »
My modelling work is a little bit low at the moment. Last week I had a vitrectomy as they found the week before a torn retina, which they lasered, but last week some 30 holes in my retina were discovered. Fine, in surgery they could close all holes, removed my normal eye fluid (which had all kinds of rubbish floating in it) and restored the macula (centre of the retina). And all this as a reaction to a cataract operation I had in may this year. The odd's to get this complication are 1 : 1000, so I guess I had a little bit of bad luck. My eye is now filled with gas under a slight pressure to let the retina subside and fixed to the eye again. The gas bubble gives the effect of looking through a glass filled with water and the water is moving around. So much for seeing any depth and that will make modelling difficult for the coming months. In the last days the gas is already diminishing in size, but my sight in that eye is still very foggy and unsharp. But the fact that I can see is a good sign.

I remember 3 years ago, when I had a cataract operation in my other eye, I asked the opthalmologist if I wasn't to young for cataract. Looking around his waiting room my guess was that the average age is above 75 for this type of work, but he reassured  ;) me that it occurs on all ages.

Well, for the coming period I am not allowed to fly or drive a car. The first for avoiding a gas explosion  ;D  and the second probably for insurance and liability issues.

Hopefully in a few months I can see more depth and start detailling again.

regards,
Ivo
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:01:52 PM by IvotB »

Offline Cimmerian

Re: Eye problems
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:39:21 PM »
I wish you a speedy recovery. Problems with sight is my biggest fear, I fought my way back from cutting off two fingers and a heart attack, not sure that I could cope with not seeing.

Good luck.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 10:09:12 PM »
All the best for a full recovery Ivo, I hope that you regain full use of your eye again and that you will be back modeling soon, and driving, and flying...........

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:26:23 PM »
Ivo, very sorry to hear about your eye woes! I too wish you a speedy & full recovery and quick return to the bench as well as the activities.

Best,

Offline IanB

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:47:59 PM »
All the best for a quick recovery Ivo. I had a retinal detachment in 1988 and have been told that I now have a cataract, which is common following that surgery - I guess it works both ways!

Ian

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 11:11:23 PM »
Good luck for a speedy recovery Ivo. I'm sure the forum will be thinking about you.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Zabu

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 11:19:23 PM »
Sorry to hear about your eyes problem.

I hope you get better soon to be able to.. drive to make some flying after some modeling!

Cheers

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 11:31:59 PM »
Ivo I wish you a speedy recovery.  Hopefully all will be well soon.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 01:19:11 AM »
Get well soon, Ivo.  I'll miss your excellent Dutch projects.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline IvotB

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 12:10:20 AM »
Thank you all for your kind reactions. My sight is improving. There is still the annoying (sorry red baron ;) ), but diminishing gas bubble in my eye below, which doesnīt help in reading and so.
But friday evening I did some spray painting and masking. The masking was sometimes a bit of a guess, but was ok and yesterday I put some small decals on a model. Looks fine too.

regards,
Ivo

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 01:48:15 AM »
A speedy recovery and glad to see youre already tinkering!!

Steve

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 06:10:50 AM »
Ivo,
   I missed this earlier and have also been away from home the past week. Sincere best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery, any update on your situation?
Cheers, and moral support :)
Lance

Offline IvotB

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 07:24:41 AM »
Thanks guys,

Lance,

Well, still recovering. But so far so good. Two weeks after surgery I had a checkup and was cleared to drive again when the gas would be gone and then I was also allowed to fly. One day later I missed the smallest bubble so I started driving. So far so good. But my eye sight is still not really sharp and in the centre I donīt see anything at all yet because of the macula pucker (don't know the english word, but macula sounds latin and will be a general term). They removed that and because of that the centre of my retina (the macula) is now disturbed because of it. Predictions are that it might take between 3 months and 2 years for recovery (if it does). In the meantime I am trying to work around this problem with my modelling work.

2 weeks ago I recieved a short run kit (50 pieces) of the railway station Delft in the Netherlands in 1:87 in resin castings and styrene sheet. I couldn't leave it in the box, I had to try it. No parts are glued together yet:

This doesn't give me any problem, but the painting will. The bricks are brick red, bit most details are sandstone. I am not going to mask it, but brushpaint it by hand.

So this is the brightside. And it is getting better every day :)

And I want to start building a WNW Pup or Bristol Fighter. I am also considering a partly scratchbuild Fokker A.1, using parts of the WNW E.II kit, but with a scratchbuild fuselage and wings.

regards,
Ivo

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 07:33:43 AM »
Great to hear you are making a recovery Ivo, hopefully you will be back to 100% and back nto modeling again. That is a very impressive model of the station, and for it to be fully assembled without glue is even more impressive, I'm looking forward to seeing it painted.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 07:41:40 AM »
   It sounds very positive Ivo. Have fun with the Station, looks like a great subject for some weathering, wear, and tear. Also have fun with the Pup or Brisfit, I've done both although the Bristol isn't completed yet. They are both very nice Kits.
All the Best, Cheers,
Lance :)