Author Topic: Eye problems  (Read 5847 times)

Offline IvotB

Re: Eye problems
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 07:44:29 AM »
Last week I had a checkup with my ophthalmologist. They want to measure everything, although I can't see much. The verdict was that my sight in my left eye is about 20%. No promises were made if it is going to improve or not. He gave me a 50% chance of improvement, within a year or so.

But on the bright side is the fact that I do see depth when using both eyes. And I am quite pleased with my hand painting and masking abilities. The main entrance downstairs is masked, the upper part is hand painted, both sides of the main entrance aren't finished but the basement of the tower and the left wall are masked again. It's quite a lot of work, but I am happy with the result.

The only thing I am noticing that whenever when I try to solder a model, somehow the tip of my soldering iron is missing the solder wire at first. It's a minor problem.

regards,
Ivo

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 07:57:56 AM »
Ivo, I fervently hope things improve with your eyesight.  Your railway station
paint job is masterful.  Whatever the problems, you are working through it
well.  Keep at it, my friend. :)

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 01:13:08 PM »
Sorry to hear of your eye problems Ivo but I'm hoping that over time it will improve, the station is looking great.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 06:20:19 PM »
Actually if it helps Ivo? I'll wade in here as well, I lost the sight of my right eye when I was a young lad - it's still a live organ [thankfully] but I can only see murky light and dark through it - if someone were to walk past a window that kind of thing.
My left eye is terribly tired and failing, I have the spectre of diabetic retinopathy as a concern now too. But, as the last poster mentioned - you learn to accommodate.
It is frustrating that I can't spend as long at the bench as I used too - and I know that my build standards are less than they have been: But philosophically you have no less fun and you do learn to savour.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 10:03:44 PM »
Hi Ivo,

I'm so sorry for you that you have these eye-problems. But think of it that you are not the first and not the last one. So many others here on the forum have problems too and look what marvellous things they achieve. And what I see of your station this is the best example. So very much courage Ivo.

Kind regards

Patrick

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 02:39:15 AM »
  Ivo,
Wishing you a full and speedy recovery my old friend. Awesome work on the building.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 05:50:26 AM »
Hello Ivo

May I echo the sentiments of so many and wish you well for a recovery. Our thoughts will be with you.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Zabu

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 10:51:13 AM »
I hope that you have a fast recovery.

No one could tell that you have an eye problema for the perfect job you made in the railway station.

Looks awesome.

Cheers

Offline mgunns

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2013, 02:21:11 AM »
Hello Ivo:

Sorry to read about your eye problems, hopefully over time it will improve.  The Station is magnificent.  What a neat structure and you are doing an outstanding job on it so far.  I wish one could get something like in 1/32nd, like hangars or a command post.
It would also be neat if one of those could be made for the Old, long gone, Great Northern Depot in Minneapolis, or the extant one in Duluth.

Take good care and speedy recovery.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline IvotB

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2013, 04:51:20 AM »
Thank you guys for all your encouragements and kind words. I'm still painting the railway station and it is steadily growing.

I think that for buildings in 1:32 it shouldn'be a big problem. A lot of my railway modelling friend are very active in making their own designs in autocad using for production CNC milled styrene, laser cut wood and 3D prints. The affordable 3D prints aren't really the quality one requires but the others are quite satisfactory.

The original railway station model was designed in autocad and then most walls are made with several layers of CNC milled styrene. This was used as a model for a mold into which resin casts have been made. It isn't cheap anyway. This kit was shortrun and for this kit I paid 350 euro's. In comparison about 7 WNW kits, before dutch customs and VAT is added.

regards,
Ivo
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:45:03 AM by IvotB »

Offline IvotB

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 07:04:39 PM »
Small update ;)
In the middle of november I got a laser treatment for secondary cataract to improve my vision a little bit. But in stead it got slightly darker in the eye in the following weeks. So I went to the hospital again and as always they take my complaints very serious. After an eye scan it was concluded that there is again some fluid in my retina. Now they are going to give me an injection with steroids inside the retina next week. I may be getting strong eye muscles then ;D
This eye surgeon however was a little bit more positive on my recovery then the one that operated my eye last september. Sooo, letīs just wait and see ;)

regards,
Ivo

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 08:03:35 PM »
Hi Ivo,

I hope that your eyes will recover very fast. I know what it is to have eye-problems. I wish you a great recovery!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 08:14:11 PM »
I wish you good luck with your procedure and hopefully it will correct the issue you are having with your eye.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 09:15:52 PM »
My best wishes for good results with the eye procedures, Ivo.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 11:18:22 PM »
I wish you the best possible success with the procedure and recovery, Ivo.