Author Topic: Eye problems  (Read 5806 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Eye problems
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2013, 12:24:57 AM »
Ivo,
   Sincere best wishes for a successful Procedure and speedy recovery. You have a lot of really great folks thinking of and cheering for you!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2013, 12:58:09 AM »
Good luck Ivo. You know that your many friends here on the forum will be thinking about you.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline dirk

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 04:37:04 AM »
Good luck and fast recovery, Ivo. Ich hoffe es geht Dir bald besser! Lots of love from Bonn, Germany

Dirk

Offline IvotB

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2016, 05:13:32 AM »
Since the fall of 2013 there isn't much news. That is to say I still have the macula degeneration in my left eye, nicely in the middle. I can't read much with that eye, but I still have 3D vision for which I am very grateful.

I will show what I am capable of soon in my LVA Fokker D.III built, inspired by Bo, but in the meantime something else I have been working on sincs the summer of 2015 (just takes a lot of time)

It started with buying at an auction a half built brass kit of an NS 2100 steam engine, which was on my wish list for a long time. The originals were buillt between 1914 and 1920 and the first batch of 5 were delivered in 1914 built by Schwartzkopf in Berlin. WW1 was of course the cause for late delivery of further batches and some were built in stead by a dutch factory called Werkspoor.

But I recieved it in the following condition:

It was built almost straight with too much solder used and a lot of pipes connecting wrong pumps and valves etc, which meant that in the end I almost totally have taken it apart.

After that I could start to add additional detail. I am especially satisfied with an imitation of the valve gear in between the frame as it has cylinders and valves inside and not outside:

Thanks to Des (he won't be aware of this) I could order nuts at RB motion from which I have been able to use a number of them in the valve gear, sand pipe connections and grease pipe connections, which have greatly improved the engine together with feeding the carpet monster.

The engine is now almost finished:

And an engineer is already leaning out, waiting for exciting things to happen:

The engineer needs some paint, but already it shows great similarity with myself as it is a 3D scan made from me for me during the last Ontraxs exhibition in the National Railway Museum in the Netherlands. So finally I can ride my own models :)

The scale of this engine is 1:87

Based on this it is my conclusion that my eye problems luckily don't interfere much with my modelling.

regards,
Ivo

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2016, 07:27:45 AM »
Sorry to hear you are still suffering with the eye problem but luckily it is not effecting your modeling which shows in the magnificent steam engine you completed, well done and a great touch having 'yourself' in the drivers compartment.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2016, 07:32:56 AM »
The locomotive is an absolute beauty, Ivo.  I wish the eye troubles were past you, but you
are obviously making the best of a not so good situation and your modeling is still first rate,
my friend.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2016, 07:41:48 AM »
   Beautiful re-build Ivo, it's come a long way from it's condition when you got it!
   It's great that your modelling hasn't suffered however I sincerely hope you have a full recovery over time. In the interim I'll look forward to more of your work.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2016, 06:49:35 PM »
Ivot, I'm sorry to hear about the continuing eye problems and wish you well.

Not my area of knowledge or expertise but the steam emgine looks beautiful.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2016, 03:44:57 AM »
Sorry to read about your eye problem - as one who has had to use glasses all of my life I know what good sight is worth. The engine is superb in every way - you have certainly not lost the ability to make an excellent model - especially as you have had to use solder and tiny parts.

If it is any consolation my brother suffers from Parkinson's syndrome and has done so for about 8 years, but he is currently building a model ship (about 1:80 scale) from wood and is making a first class job of it too. Disability need not be a hindrance to good modelling as both you and he demonstrate.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2016, 11:02:49 AM »
Excellent work on the loco, Ivo!

WarrenD

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2016, 03:08:47 AM »
Let me reiterate what LM and others have said here: so sorry about the eye problems, and that locomotive is gorgeous.

Warren