Author Topic: Latest acquisition in your collection  (Read 356412 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Latest acquisition in your collection
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 12:18:06 PM »
  Gary,
Although it wouldn't be an Historically correct WW I era aircraft it most certainly be an interesting addition to your collection. I believe that there are several interesting conversions possilbilities for the Tiger Moth as featured in the 'Blue Max". It's been a while since I've watched the movie but weren't most of the aircraft used for the film converted Tiger Moths ?. Personally I'd love a collection of the 'Blue Max" flightline myself.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline NP

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »
I just had to go and check the loft to remember what that last one was that I collected. Turns out it's the Revell 1/32nd scale Tiger Moth. Why that one? Well, I thought that it would look rather neat in my case as one of the "Blue Max" SEs:

Hey Trackpad,

why not get two, then you can do a "Rumplemoth" from "Lawrence of Arabia" as well!

http://www.hobbybokhandeln.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Lawrence_Rumpler.jpg

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 11:01:38 PM »
Just picked up an Academy Sopwith Camel F.1 on eBay for about $16Aus!! ;D
Will follow Des' build log at some point in the future, in the meantime it'll reside in a plastic box that doubles as my stash - the box will be full now :-\ until the Dr.1 is complete ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 12:12:34 AM »
Wingnut Wings Fok.DVII

BVB

NOT!  :P

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 12:16:04 AM »
Newbie and Gregory,

All I have are various photos of the TM mod from the Blue Max, none of which are very detailed. RumpleMoth? Never thought of that one, and it might make quite an interesting build: "History According to Hollywood!"  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 04:27:23 AM »
  Well guys it's confirmed,I must be completely insane! On a visit to the LHS yesterday I picked up two 1/72 scale kits. A Roden Albatros D.III and an Encore Sopwith Camel. Can't blame it on an impulse buy either as I'd ordered them both a couple of weeks ago. Looking at these two little gem I can see the ol'Optivisor is going to need a major upgrade just to pull off the dreaded rigging.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
"Full Tilt Bozo"
" What Me Worry"

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 07:16:59 AM »
  Well guys it's confirmed,I must be completely insane! On a visit to the LHS yesterday I picked up two 1/72 scale kits. A Roden Albatros D.III and an Encore Sopwith Camel. Can't blame it on an impulse buy either as I'd ordered them both a couple of weeks ago. Looking at these two little gem I can see the ol'Optivisor is going to need a major upgrade just to pull off the dreaded rigging.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
"Full Tilt Bozo"

Gregory,

Funny you should mention this - yesterday I picked up the Encore 72nd scale Pfalz DIII 'Blue Max' which was in a sale over here in the UK reduced down to half price - not accurate markings I know - but what the heck? - how could I resist such a good price...........

Not sure when I will have a go at this though - still struggling through my WNW Pfalz DXII and need to complete my OKGB Tripehound!

All the best mate

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 11:56:42 AM »
Today, my 1/32 Special Hobby  Morane Sauliner- N was delivered that I won on e-Bay.

A couple of days ago, I also got two  old Pyro kits.......a 1/48  "Blariot"  and "Avero-D" via e-Bay..
I could not resist them. :) 
I think I may start the Avero first .

BTW, I still got a Special  Hobby 1/48 Morane Sauliner A-1 comming ( from the UK) also via e-Bay. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 11:58:31 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline Lyle

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 06:23:32 AM »
I just picked up a lovely WNW LVG C.VI off of Ebay which included a photoetch Parabellum aftermarket kit, the LVG At War Special from Windsock, and the Windsock issue that dealt with four WNW models and had respective building articles on them...naturally the LVG was among them!
Lyle

Offline xmald

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 06:35:43 AM »
Joe like I`ve said lucky you these Pyro kits are really hard to come by in Poland.
My latest shopping list consists of Etrich Taube, Halberstadt II and Morane G each in 1:48.
I hope I`ll have some time off from my scientific work during the summer to have fun with Gotha V...
Best regards
Filip

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 12:55:21 AM »
Joe like I`ve said lucky you these Pyro kits are really hard to come by in Poland.
My latest shopping list consists of Etrich Taube, Halberstadt II and Morane G each in 1:48.
I hope I`ll have some time off from my scientific work during the summer to have fun with Gotha V...

I don't know exactly how old the Pyro kits are but , the instuction sheets have tunned yellow with age . This kits themselves seem of high quality and the parts  fit together very well. Full rigging instuctions/ diagrams and painting (color) suggestions  are included.

However, the aircrafts  are not too  acurately  modeled and  detailed in some ways The box art is is misleading and the contents in the boxes do no match the box art .

Example.....
I'm currently  building the Avro which appears to be a "D' model acording to the box art .
However the model has a covered fusalage  like the 'E"  (easier to rig) with the tail feathers, etc reprsenting that of a "D".  I'm not shure if a "D" ever had a covered fuselage.
The fuselage frame and bracing under the CDL is well modeled however. 
It does contain a correct "Green" engine which is fairly well  detailed but, it appears to be a 60 HP version and not the more historically  correct 35 HP.
The wheels  included are covered and not the bare  wire wheels like the box art .

There is very sketchy info/photos  on the early Avros  anyway and all  seven "D"s  built were reportedly  different in many ways .
Those aircrafts were most likely even   modifed after initial assembly, even after an extremely  rare photo might have been taken.
So, the Pyro model is still very  credible.
Some  pics show a metal forward  fusalage and some  showed what appears to be  painted or varnished  plywood.
Since that part of the  model has a somewhat strange faint  textue to it ( not wood grain  and clearly not CDL),  I went with  painted plywood and gave it a somewhat motteled brown color with oils  to represent  that . 

In any event, some guess work and good ol' artistic license is in order.

Anyway I  decided to just build  it OTB for the most part as it will still make an interesting model  and be an easy build . 

BTW, the Bleriot also seems to have the same generic/ hybrid qualities  and does not match the box art in some ways. It does have an uncovered fusalage (that must be rigged ) however.
Given that a few   Blariots  we actually built in the US, who knows exacty what might have be modified on any given aircraft.
So again, the Pyro model is certianly credible. :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:34:36 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »
Wingnut Wings Fok.DVII

BVB

You really gave me a jolt there, Bob! I was ready to head over to the WNW site with Mastercard cocked, locked, and ready to rock!

NOT!  :P

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 05:39:20 AM »
Just picked up this tripe from the secondhand section in Hannants London  :)
I have been after the SopTripe for ages... YAY!

Does this kit go together well? Any info is warmly welcomed.
Cheers,
BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline eclarson

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 05:50:17 AM »
I recently added a Wingnut Wings Roland D.VIa to my collection.

That's the last of the current stable of WNW kits on my wish list so they can release the next batch any time now!  :)

Cheers,
Eric

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 05:58:26 AM »
  Bob and Eric,
Congratulations to you both for obtaining two fantastic kits,you won't be disappointed in the least my friends. I hope to see some outstanding build thread from you both when you can.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"