Author Topic: Latest acquisition in your collection  (Read 356461 times)

Offline Jeff K

Re: Latest acquisition in your collection
« Reply #2100 on: January 26, 2018, 11:29:11 PM »
I too went to the Cross and Cockade site, and purchased "Nieuports in RNAS, RFC, and RAF service". Neat PDF book hrmmm I might have to get another Special Hobby Nieuport to add to my in progress Nieuport 11..... 

PDF publications in my opinion should be more prevalent, its so useful being able to blow up the page to see details.

Ray

Amen brother.

Also imagine the savings on shipping.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2101 on: January 31, 2018, 03:55:37 AM »
...me three. Thanks for the heads up on this one!!!

Offline Derrick

« Reply #2102 on: January 31, 2018, 03:36:01 PM »
I was wondering if you could give a brief review of the nieuport pdf, in particular the miscellaneous cockpit and structural details.  The price of 17 pounds ( about $30 Canadian) seems a bit steep compared to having the actual book, so I have been a bit reluctant to purchase. I did buy in the past, the books on the Dolphin and FE2, but not so convinced on the pdf, when I think the price is a bit steep. I have bought pdf in the past but, but I thought they were reasonably priced for what I got. Thanks for any information

I too went to the Cross and Cockade site, and purchased "Nieuports in RNAS, RFC, and RAF service". Neat PDF book hrmmm I might have to get another Special Hobby Nieuport to add to my in progress Nieuport 11..... 

PDF publications in my opinion should be more prevalent, its so useful being able to blow up the page to see details.

Ray

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2103 on: January 31, 2018, 11:28:25 PM »
if a PDF has vector drawings instead of raster, then it's a MUCH better deal than a paper book of the same price, at least for modellers. however, if they're scanned drawings, and therefore not any more scalable than pen and ink drawings, then i'd agree the price is a bit steep.

my latest acquisition the 1/32 Encore Voss F.1. so basically i went all-in betting the new WNW release wouldn't be a dreidecker  :P

Offline rayb24

« Reply #2104 on: February 07, 2018, 08:05:59 AM »
The cross and cockade Nieuport book is on my iPad and quite scalable so the pages were not scanned as such...

Review

180 pages of which 80 pages are a potted history of the useage and the squadrons who used the aircraft types (10,11,12, 16,17,21 24 and 27)

Then you get 8 pages of full colour profiles at 4 a page, then 15 full colour pages, each showing a single aircraft port, starboard, top and bottom profiles. Plus simple plans for all aircraft. The last part is a list of serials, squadron and cost of aircraft.

There are lots of pictures usually 1 or 2 on each page. I thought it was more than worth the money, but remember it was written from a historians point of view.
Ray

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2105 on: February 08, 2018, 03:03:50 AM »
i just paid a mint for the Cross and Cockade FE2b/d book.

well, i couldn't find it on Amazon, or Abebooks, and it doesn't turn up on ebay often, so i went all in. i have a strange fascination with pushers. i have a WNW early Fee which will be one that Fred Libby made ace as a gunner in.

i'm considering converting a WNW Fee to a "d", and i'd need some reference material for that. like, all of it. so, yeah. i'm broke again. eating is overrated.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2106 on: February 08, 2018, 03:49:16 AM »
i just paid a mint for the Cross and Cockade FE2b/d book.

well, i couldn't find it on Amazon, or Abebooks, and it doesn't turn up on ebay often, so i went all in. i have a strange fascination with pushers. i have a WNW early Fee which will be one that Fred Libby made ace as a gunner in.

i'm considering converting a WNW Fee to a "d", and i'd need some reference material for that. like, all of it. so, yeah. i'm broke again. eating is overrated.

Hi Jeff,

then that might be of interest for you
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8612.0
The build is at a pause for the moment, but I plan to take it up again in the second half of the year.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2107 on: February 09, 2018, 01:20:37 AM »
Your thread is of tremendous interest to me (and anyone who fancies an FE2d)

THANKS

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #2108 on: March 03, 2018, 05:08:01 PM »
Just pulled the trigger on a WNW Biff...been flirting with disaster too bloody long...it seemed as though extinction was  looming more and more ugly what with the SE disappearing as in what's next and the Bristol being one of the oldest issues. As an experiment, I did the Weta test by ordering 10 FB2 kits and being scolded for doing so with a tut tut...out of stock. So Sprue Bros it was...domestic shipping etc...so very relieved to consumate...love that airplane and HAD to have it. Thinking a McKeever/Powell machine will be very hard to resist. As we yanks like to say; they was bad asses.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2109 on: March 04, 2018, 12:11:37 AM »
    Great choice Doug, still IMHO the best overall of the Wingnut Wings line and one you don't want to chance missing. I did it back almost 5 years ago in McKeever's and Powell's colors, A-7288, and it's still probably the favorite in my cabinet. Here's a link if you think it might be of use.
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1065.150
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #2110 on: March 04, 2018, 02:40:24 AM »
Thanks much, Lance...indeed it shall be of use...just gave a quick glance but it looks lovely.     -M
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline rayb24

« Reply #2111 on: March 04, 2018, 01:19:12 PM »
Local hobby store had the wnw SE5a.  It came home with me along with the DH9, which was the real reason I went out... lol drat wings and Wheels
Ray

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2112 on: March 04, 2018, 01:34:30 PM »
the upside of not having any free time at all, is that working all the time means a little extra $$.

and this month? that means more WNW: Udet's Eindecker and Barker's Snipe (already got the Pheon decals for the Snipe). WNW has replaced basically everything else on my modeling priority list, mainly because the Fear Of Missing Out is real. the combination of impending scarcity and high quality is fatal to my bank account.

and maybe something else as the invoices i sent out come back in the form of money...

Offline rayb24

« Reply #2113 on: March 05, 2018, 01:39:07 AM »
[quote author=Jeff K link=topic=207.msg170508#msg170508 date=1520134470

and maybe something else as the invoices i sent out come back in the form of money...

You’re keeping the economy running.  Money in means money out.  Lol
Ray

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2114 on: March 05, 2018, 04:46:05 AM »
You’re keeping the economy running.  Money in means money out.  Lol
Ray
the gov't of NZ in particular owe me at least a birthday card this year.