Author Topic: WNW 1/32nd Bristol F2b "McKeever"  (Read 30904 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: WNW 1/32nd Bristol F2b "McKeever"
« Reply #150 on: September 04, 2013, 12:15:45 PM »
Thanks so much for all the kind and encouraging comments. I have been corresponding off-line with Gary ( "Trackpad") who is also doing this Build. If anyone has the Jig he and I are using DON"T use the measurements I stated earlier. Gary, being a loyal and fastidious craftsman rechecked the measurements I published and now has helped me to get my head out of the orifice in my posterior (ahem, I mean I'm not adverse to accepting responsibility for my mistakes or short comings!) The real and correct space between the inner edges of the mounting holes for the inner main spars is NOT 147mm as I stated, but rather 141 mm. :-[
I'll need to be more careful in future.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2013, 03:25:05 AM »
Wow Lance, this is really interesting stuff.  The Biff is looking beautiful...I really
like the way you created the gunners sling.  Little things like that really add to a
model.  Keep up the good work!  I'm enjoying the build a bunch!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2013, 07:19:49 AM »
Really great work! If I ever decide to expand to 2 seaters in 1/32nd I will need a jig! Thanks for showing the how to!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »
Thanks for checking in Guys, and for the encouraging comments. Hopefully the upper wing goes on OK and properly aligned, I'm very close to that step as only a few small parts have still to be added. You're right RagIII, this is my first two seater and I'd be lost without the Jig.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #154 on: September 05, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »
Scary!

Good luck Lance!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2013, 02:51:05 AM »
   Thought I'd post another update, the upper wing is on and the wing rigging almost complete. I elected to complete a few more of the smaller bits and "scratched" a pair of bell cranks for the radiator shutter controls, the latter are pretty fragile so will be added when the flight control wires are installed.
    The bell cranks, combination of sheet brass, styrene sheet, and steel wire:

Here's the cranks for the elevator control wires. I added the double adjustable turnbuckles using, in this case, Bob's Buckles, some of his experimental "Doubles" which he had provided gratis for me to try; Highly recommended and Thank You von Bucklegifter!

and the finished product:

I also added a bezel to the compass and used a drop of Future to create a glass effect:

The wing went on very smoothly. The cabanes were CA'ed with the model in the Assembly Jig and at that point, finding the two bay configuration too cumbersome to work inside the jig to add the 8 main wing struts I elected to remove the model from the jig and add the struts from inner to outer on each wing, doing the two inners each side, then the outers. The fit was excellent and no alignment errors are apparent. Great engineering by WNW!

First the cabanes after using the Jig and the upper wing to align them and cement the lower connections, the windscreen was added along with the Aldis Sight to the upper wing as well:

......and a few photos of the upper wing and main struts in place with the rigging in progress. Sequence for rigging was cabanes both sides and front, inner bays in sequence, then to the outer bays. The rigging is a combination of .013 and .010 monofil with .020 mono for the heavier double Flying Wires.

That's the progress to date. I have to take a week off the project to travel to Ontario for my Stepson's Wedding, I guess that's an acceptable excuse for another delay! More to follow in a week or so, all suggestions and comments most welcome and thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #156 on: September 18, 2013, 03:00:42 AM »
You're doing some exquisite work here Lance, especially with all of the extra detail you're adding. She's really taking shape now, the difficult work is all done and it won't be long until this beauty is finished. Looking forward to your next update!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #157 on: September 18, 2013, 03:09:00 AM »
Really great work Lance  :)

It's quite a daunting amount of effort going on there!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #158 on: September 18, 2013, 03:42:05 AM »
Lance,

Your doing great work - the amount of rigging would put me off ....................

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #159 on: September 18, 2013, 04:30:29 AM »
Excellent update, Lance  ;)
Looking forward to the next installment.
Cheers,
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #160 on: September 18, 2013, 04:33:21 AM »
Nice work Lance!

Offline Zabu

« Reply #161 on: September 18, 2013, 05:40:25 AM »
Congrats on such a fine modeling. Great stuff!

Cheers

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #162 on: September 18, 2013, 05:59:53 AM »
This is looking just every inch a Biff Lance - its superb!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2013, 06:37:31 AM »
Well done, Lance. As the last of the Three Musketeers to get the wing on, I'd better get it right when my turn comes!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #164 on: September 18, 2013, 08:09:28 AM »
Great progress, Lance!  The Biff looks amazing with the top wing on and the rigging
work.  I can't say enough about your modelling skills.  Looking forward to more
updates after your foray into the great eastern wilds. ;) ;D  Have a safe trip. :)

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...