Author Topic: Woodgrain technique by Eric Larson  (Read 31766 times)

Offline eclarson

Re: Woodgrain technique by Eric Larson
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2015, 09:56:34 AM »
Hello Everyone
I have a question about using Tamiya clear over Winsor & Newton oil paint that I used for wood grain. I have finished using the oil paint for wood grain, on WNW Albatros. Now dry completely. Can I spray Tamiya over oil paint?

Absolutely! 

Eric

Offline Ron@redondo

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2015, 11:24:08 AM »
Thanks Lance and Eric. This is my first try at wood grain finish. Turned out a little darker than I first pictured to myself, but not too bad. This is only my second airplane build since about 1975. The first one was WNW Pfalz DIIIA.
Last plane I built some 40 years ago was the old Lindberg Jenny.

Thanks Again Ron

Offline jknaus

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2015, 05:53:53 AM »
I do the same as LAnce and it works very well.
James

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »
Eric,

Great tutorial! I'll definitely be experimenting with the technique. One question. Do you use the same method for the internal wood framing in the cockpit area?

thanks,
Mike

Offline eclarson

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »
Eric,

Great tutorial! I'll definitely be experimenting with the technique. One question. Do you use the same method for the internal wood framing in the cockpit area?

thanks,
Mike

Wow, it's been over two years since there's been any activity on this thread.  Thanks!  I'm glad to see it continues to be useful.
To answer your question, yes, I use the same technique on wood framing.   

Here are some WIP pics of the WNW Hansa W.12 I built last year showing the interior wood grain. 

HTH,
Eric
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 02:19:37 PM by eclarson »

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2018, 03:16:32 PM »
I'm curious about the sponge using this technique.

Is it bone dry?  Soaked in water or white spirit and then wrung out so it is soft and "spongey" before use?

I have never gotten a sponge like this to work very well trying it all kinds of ways.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2018, 11:31:08 PM »
I'm curious about the sponge using this technique.

Is it bone dry?  Soaked in water or white spirit and then wrung out so it is soft and "spongey" before use?

I have never gotten a sponge like this to work very well trying it all kinds of ways.

Good question!  In this case the sponge is bone dry.  It's a stiff kitchen sponge that is more for wiping off the excess paint while also spreading it out evenly. 

Since my article was written, I've tried other types of sponges including foam rubber makeup applicators and even soft foam packing material.  Also, different types of paint brushes.  The whole idea is to find ways to streak the paint in various patterns hopefully resulting in the desired effect.  There is no right or wrong way.  In fact, part of the fun of this technique is experimenting with different methods and tools. 

I hope that helps. 

Cheers,
Eric

Offline Bill_S

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2020, 02:03:23 PM »
Great info, Eric! My technique is very similar except I use only Burnt Umber oil; I vary the wood color by changing the base coat. All my graining is done with a good quality cotton swab.

Last year, I did a demo for my local club. I put together this sheet of styrene for that. Ten different base colors, some ModelMaster enamel, some Tamiya acrylics.

From left to right, base color, oil applied, wiped with swab, Tamiya clear orange overcoat.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2020, 12:04:20 AM »
Great info, Eric! My technique is very similar except I use only Burnt Umber oil; I vary the wood color by changing the base coat. All my graining is done with a good quality cotton swab.

Last year, I did a demo for my local club. I put together this sheet of styrene for that. Ten different base colors, some ModelMaster enamel, some Tamiya acrylics.

From left to right, base color, oil applied, wiped with swab, Tamiya clear orange overcoat.

Thanks Bill!  I've varied my technique since doing that article as I too now use different base colors but also still use a variety of oil colors. 

Your demo sheet is great.  Thanks for sharing it.  I've copied it to my computer for future reference.  Do you ever have problems with fibers shedding from your cotton swabs?  That would be my only concern with using them.  I've taken to using different textures of sponges more often. 

That's the fun of doing wood grain - so many different ways of achieving it and all look great!

Here are the interior parts of my recently completed Wingnut DH.9a Ninak with different shades of base colors.  More so than I've done in the past.   :)

Cheers,
Eric

Offline Bill_S

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2020, 01:42:10 AM »
Eric, I've found that if you use good quality swabs, they don't shed fibers. They seem to be more tightly wound.