Author Topic: Hand Carved Wooden Props  (Read 44848 times)

Offline Matt

Re: Hand Carved Wooden Props
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2017, 09:37:21 PM »
If the wood glue is PVA based my concern would be that while strong it never really sets hard, rather goes into a flexible vinyl form which I doubt would sand...?  It'd be interesting to hear your friend's view.

Matt

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2017, 10:54:58 PM »
If the wood glue is PVA based my concern would be that while strong it never really sets hard, rather goes into a flexible vinyl form which I doubt would sand...?  It'd be interesting to hear your friend's view.

Matt

Matt,
    I use it in wood working and it is quite sandable and dries hard as a rock. As I said on Des's Thread on the imported Tutorial from LSP I intend to experiment with this a bit; the results are quite impressive! I'll try CA and the wood glue to determine what works best.
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2017, 02:08:36 AM »
I use the fast drying wood glue (EXPRESS in the name) and only once a problem, after a bottle was to old (a lot of years). With a new bottle it works again.
Important is a pressure during cure process. So I put my veneer pack (see one page back) for a hour in a bench vise. After that its rock solid and can be sanded.
For one air screw I put also a bit of Gunze brown into the glue to get some dark lines had success.

For results see my models in "Completed"-area.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2017, 07:44:04 AM »
Frank,
   I use a glue by LePage Canada manufactured by Henkel Canada, I think it's marketed in the USA under the same name. LePage has made glue here "forever", I used LePage paper glue in school as a child 65 or more years ago! Like you I use blocks and a bench vice to apply pressure to the veneer packs.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2017, 11:29:28 PM »
The paper prop sure is convincing!! and cheap!!!! The pear and boxwood props look awesome too!!

Steve
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:33:31 PM by pepperman42 »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2020, 06:36:10 AM »
Evening All,

Somewhere earlier in this thread I wrote that I would describe how to make a 4 bladed propellor in 1/72 scale: well I have finally done so now that I have had to make one for the FE 2d.

Basically I have used the same technique as Frank for his 1/48 scale propellor except that I have only used a single strip of hardwood and I carved the double bladed prop first (as described above). I then carved separately two single blades which were fractionally too long at the root ie where the blade is to be attached to the central boss. I offered the blades individually to the boss and used a round file to make a shallow groove so that when the blade is glued in place there are no gaps.

Superglue was used to fix the bldes in place with the following result:

When this has a plastic boss and has been varnished I think that it will make a perfectly acceptable 4 balded prop for an RFC or RNAS machine. For German and Austro-Hungarian aircraft this would not be as good because they had laminated propellors with much stronger tonal differences, so an alternative method would need to be employed. There are plenty of ideas here though!

Thanks for looking. 

Stephen.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 08:15:09 AM by lone modeller »