Author Topic: WnW Albatros D.Va  (Read 5832 times)

Offline bbrockel

WnW Albatros D.Va
« on: April 16, 2013, 11:00:22 AM »
I took the plunge and deided on the WnW Albatros D.Va for my fist large scale build.  How did I decide??  A coin toss helped a lot.  Pluss I really like one of the optional paint schemes shown on WnW web site.  A nice blue and green paint scheme that looks like an easy masking/painting job.  I'll start my build log when the kit arrives.
Bob

"If at first you don't succeede, use a bigger hammer"

Offline Vickers

Re: WnW Albatros D.Va
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:26:14 PM »
Nice choice! I'm just finishing one now, also my first large scale WW1 build since I was a kid. Enjoy the build!
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline bbrockel

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »
Thanks Vickers.  I'll be sure to revisit your build log when the kit arrives.  BTW, beautiful work on your Albatros.  I really liked the wood texture on the fuselage and you explination of how you achieved the results.  Thanks for the tutorial.
Bob

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 01:47:02 AM »
Im going to enjoy watching your progress. Keep us updated....someday I'll build again too......

Steve

Offline WillScarlet

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 10:14:48 AM »
   Working on the Snipe now ....................... the D.Va is next. Congratulations on your choice!

Will     ;)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 11:38:27 AM »
  Bob,
Looking forward to seeing your first progress my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 09:59:49 PM »
Hi Bob,

Lovely choice of subject, the thing to watch out for with the WnW DV and DVa is the fit of the bulkheads, keep the slots in the fusilage sides and the edges of the bulkheads free of paint because the bulkheads are a very precise fit and even a small amount of paint will mean when you come to sew up the fusilage you will have some horrible gaps, apart from that it is a great kit, good luck with the build and look forward to seeing some progress photos.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 10:19:51 PM »
I'll second what Pete has written. It's critical to follow his advice. Other than that, it's a great choice for your first build.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 11:58:08 PM »
I'll second and third Pete and Chris's comments Bob, a magnificent Kit, the only pitfall(s) being the "zero clearance" bulkhead fittings. Looking forward to following your progress.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gcn

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 12:13:45 AM »
I test fit each bulkhead one at a time to ensure everything fits.

I'm currently doing the D.Va albeit a different scheme, I found I didn't need to worry about the fuselage runners as long as I ensured the edges of the bulheads were sanded clean. What is slightly annoying are the ejector pin marks all along the mating edge of the fuselage, which means I will have to fill the entire seam.

Also watch out for the wing dihedral. Effectively top wing flat bottom wing pointing up. Oh and I found that with the undercarriage on there was definitely a lean going on. Just rig the undercarriage with mono and pull one side tighter than the other and Robert is your Mothers Brother.

Great kit with so many schemes to choose from, enjoy.

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 03:00:00 AM »
Never too many Albatros builds for me,

A tip for the lower wing Dihedral issue is to open up the slots in the fuselge sides at the top inner edge and carefully bend up the locating stubs on the lower wings.  chamfering the edges and thinning the upper side of the locating stub can help too. It's a matter of fiddle and diddle till you are happy with the fit.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline bbrockel

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 09:50:43 AM »
It's great that you all took the time to impart your well wishes and tips, Pete and Keith.  I feel right at home here.  Now if the darn thing would just get here!
Bob

Offline WillScarlet

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 01:31:37 PM »
It's great that you all took the time to impart your well wishes and tips, Pete and Keith.  I feel right at home here.  Now if the darn thing would just get here!
            My first kit took about a month and a half ................. was in customs for the longest time.  My next (second) kit took less than a couple weeks, so can't say what to expect on a regular basis, but the kits are well worth waiting for!!
  Will

Offline michael

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 12:01:41 AM »
Good luck with your build Bob and i hope your kit arrives soon!

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline Graham t

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 06:50:48 PM »
What gcn said about the undercarriage.  This kit badly needs a white metal replacement set.  I now there's such a set available for the Roden DIII but I've never checked whether thay are the same.  Someone here may know!