Author Topic: WnW Albatros D.Va  (Read 5831 times)

Offline bbrockel

Re: WnW Albatros D.Va
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2013, 02:47:53 PM »
I think you have all explained the result I'm seeing when I attempted to paind a piece of the engine sub assembly.  Instead of airbrushing, I tried to brush the black semi-gloss Tamiya paint onto the piece.  The result was very bad adhesion of the paint to the surface being painted.  Rather than adding more paint, I stopped and will wait for my spray boot to arrive later this month.  Glad it was only one small piece.  I can clean it up with Pine-Sol or Scale Master paint remover with out harming the plastic.  Live and learn.  Thanks for the tips all.
Bob

"If at first you don't succeede, use a bigger hammer"

Offline Jan K

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2013, 10:12:49 PM »
I think you have all explained the result I'm seeing when I attempted to paind a piece of the engine sub assembly.  Instead of airbrushing, I tried to brush the black semi-gloss Tamiya paint onto the piece.  The result was very bad adhesion of the paint to the surface being painted.  Rather than adding more paint, I stopped and will wait for my spray boot to arrive later this month.  Glad it was only one small piece.  I can clean it up with Pine-Sol or Scale Master paint remover with out harming the plastic.  Live and learn.  Thanks for the tips all.

Try to remove with regular spirit (ethanol).

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 10:52:13 PM »
Will -- tightly sealed in a glass container the LT thinned paint should keep for a while, though the pigment will settle and you'll need to restir. I usually only mix up very small batches though.

Bbrockel-- isopropyl alcohol also works beautifully for removing Tamiya acrylics. Bonus hint: You can also use it to feather and blend already dry paint.

Offline Jan K

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2013, 12:00:05 AM »
Will -- tightly sealed in a glass container the LT thinned paint should keep for a while, though the pigment will settle and you'll need to restir. I usually only mix up very small batches though.

Bbrockel-- isopropyl alcohol also works beautifully for removing Tamiya acrylics. Bonus hint: You can also use it to feather and blend already dry paint.

I keep colors thinned for airbrushing in syringes with hypodermic needles on. The needles are great to easily remove remaining paint from an airbrush cup.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:54:10 AM by Jan K »

Offline bbrockel

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2013, 12:54:57 AM »
Thank you Bo and Jan for the great tips.  Bo - as it turns out, I'm fresh out of Pine-Sol, but I do have alcohol on hand.  Will give that a try. 
Bob

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2013, 02:30:41 AM »
Another tip Bob, don't use pure black, use NATO black or a very dark black/grey, cos pure black for some reason looks out of scale.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline bbrockel

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2013, 03:10:12 AM »
Thank you Pete.  I have all shades of black acrylic from my model railroading - engine black, flat blact, coal black.....  I feel like I could open a paint store. 
Bob