Author Topic: WnW Albatros D.Va  (Read 5830 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: WnW Albatros D.Va
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 12:58:11 AM »
The struts for the Roden kit are done by Scale Aircraft Conversions. They go for around $15US

Steve

Offline bbrockel

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 12:23:58 PM »
WOO HOO!!!  The Albatrtos arrived yesterday from WnW New Zealand.  Very quick service, I might add.  Thank you WnW.  I'm posting pics of the freshly opened box to show how nicely the parts were packaged.  And give other newbies a step-by-step from the very start.  Should have let the lights warm up a little before snapping photos, that's what cause the 'beigh' look to all the photos.  Next time.    ;)   Tomorrow I hope to go to my local hobby shop and start buying the paints necessary to begin the build.  The instructions have a nice list of recommended Tamiya paints for each part.  Based on what I've read here over the past couple of weeks, I'm going to start with a light grey undercoat.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 12:29:34 PM by bbrockel »
Bob

"If at first you don't succeede, use a bigger hammer"

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 10:52:25 PM »
Yay playtime  ;D

K
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 02:06:42 AM »
Enjoy!! All I've seen points to a great build. Its yet another one in my stash....

Steve

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 02:29:20 AM »
Enjoy...

Offline bbrockel

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 03:06:45 AM »
I washed all the parts in warm , soapy water last night to get rid of the releasing agent.  Getting ready to start the build.   I want to start with the engine.  My question is should all the parts be primed on the sprues prior to removing them?   I bough a can of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer when I bought the other paints according to the Albatros instruction book.  Will the primer cause any problems with the acrylic paints?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:06:46 AM by bbrockel »
Bob

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 05:49:55 AM »
   I bough a can of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer when I bought the other paints according to the Albatros instruction book.  Will the primer cause any problems with the acrylic paints?

Nope

Offline bbrockel

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 05:53:40 AM »
Bo, short and sweet answer.  I like it.  Thanks.
Bob

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 06:02:28 AM »
Bo, short and sweet answer.  I like it.  Thanks.

:)

Assuming of course you are putting the acrylic paints OVER the primer :)

In general, the only time you have to worry is putting lacquer based paint over (just about anything else). You can put oils over acrylic and vice versa (though acrylics don't stick very well to glossy oil based enamel).

Note that you can thin Tamiya acrylics with Lacquer thinner; this makes them "hotter" and seems to improve adhesion to bare plastic. I use Tamiya NATO black like this as a primer. Once it cures it is quite tough, definitely passes the fingernail test...

Good luck!

Offline bbrockel

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 06:51:12 AM »
Thank you Bo.  I appreciate any tips.  I will be using Tamiya acrylics over the primer.
Bob

Offline Jan K

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 07:08:20 AM »
The spray works fine but spreads the paint quite fast. For some smaller parts like engine subassemblies it is simply too much.
Get some surfacer in a bottle and try to spray it with an airbrush.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 07:39:34 AM »
The spray works fine but spreads the paint quite fast. For some smaller parts like engine subassemblies it is simply too much.
Get some surfacer in a bottle and try to spray it with an airbrush.

yep I agree; btw 'surfacer' = Mr. Surfacer 1000 (or 1200). Mr Surfacer 500 is too thick to spray in an airbrush.  thin it out with lacquer thinner to avoid "spider webs" when spraying.  The Tamiya rattle can is definitely nice for large parts though (fuselages, wings etc)

Oh, and spray that stuff outside or in a well ventilated area w/ mask!

Offline Jan K

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »
There is many various surfacers, e.g. the vallejo. It is drying much slower (min 24hr)and smells much less than the mr. surfacer.

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.cz/2012/02/review-vallejo-surface-primer.html

On the other hand vallejo requires to be airbrushed in more very thin layers as it is drying slowly, compared the mr. surfacer is almost idiot proof.

Anytime, even when airbrushing very small stuff with "odourless" colors, work in a well ventilated area with mask!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:43:26 PM by Jan K »

Offline bbrockel

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 11:24:13 PM »
Thank you Jan for the link.  Interesting game blog.   Weather wasn't too bad yesterday, so I went outside to spray the parts.  I haven't fired up the airbrush for some time now and I need to practice on some old HO scale boxcars I have on hand before airbrushing the 'good stuff'. 
Bob

Offline WillScarlet

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2013, 01:55:35 PM »
BO, when thinning Tamiya acrylics with lacquer thinner, if you have excess thinned paint saved in a separate bottle, does the lac. thinner cause the paint to thicken to a point that it can't be used at a later time?
 Will