Author Topic: My first WNW build- the Albatros D.V, in the homestretch  (Read 8004 times)

Offline Vickers

My first WNW build- the Albatros D.V, in the homestretch
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:11:34 AM »
Hello Friends,

I've been working on this kit for about a month now and figured I would share some photos of the interior and associated bits. I used the RB Productions pilot harness, combined the BarracudaCast manifold with the piping from the kit, and opted for the Taurus Models plugs, manifold, valves, springs, lifters, and manifold nuts.  Early on, I was really in the mood to work with my hands and decided to use Prismacolor pencils to simulate the interior wood grain. The base color was Floquil Antique White, later varnished over with a thinned 1:1 mixture of their SP Armor Yellow and Ochre. Based on the photos in the instructions, I tried to imagine what the interior green color from the unrestored AWM machine might have looked like nearly a century ago, prior to the amber-tinted protective varnish, and came up with this green similar to some of the colors used in WW2 allied aircraft. Certainly doesn't match any of the colors generally accepted in our community, but I like it :o. Will post more photos soon- comments and constructive criticism are always greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:56:32 PM by Vickers »
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
Re: My first WNW build- the Albatros D.V, the interior bits
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:15:46 AM »
Welcome to the flightline Vickers.

Theres never enough Albatri here for me. The wood looks very good, Nice light warm tone. Those harness straps look the business.
Now I want to continue with my (shelved while I mess with Fokkers)D.V build back on the bench.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »
You have made an excellent start with your Albatros, the wood tonings are very good and the interior details are very well done. The engine has turned out beautiful, all those little bits and pieces certainly make a difference to the look of the engine, and the seat belts are very realistic. Well done so far and I look forward to seeing more of this build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »
  Vickers,
Outstanding works in progress my friend. Excellent woodworks and details. Keep up the great works.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Vickers

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 11:53:59 AM »
Thanks for your comments, you guys.  Although I've been inspired by builds on this forum and Des' Jasta 5 machine on the site, I decided not attempt much scratch detailing since I feared creating fit and alignment conflicts and frankly my scratchbuilding skills aren't up to it. I do enjoy comparing aftermarket products to the kit parts and figuring out which I should use and engaging the lighter duty challenges of adding some to the build.

Here's another batch of photos showing the results I got while trying out the Pheon fitted Flugstoff decals and wood grain masks from Radu Brinzan.  You can see that my attempt to use a dark grey and pink preshade under the decals didn't work since it wasn't strong enough in contrast to show through. I will have to try a surface treatment to achieve the tonal effects I'm looking for.  Although the oft-published photo this machine sitting next to its Fokker counterpart suggest that it wore a medium finish, such as a light walnut stain, I opted for a somewhat opaque "honey lemon" varnish.  I used Floquil SP Armor Yellow mixed 4:1 with RLM 04 Yellow and that 1:1 with Floquil Clear, then thinned.  (Except for the one panel that is so much darker than the rest (repairs?) that I decided to speculate that it may have been pulled from a red mahogany stained hangar queen.)  The fuselage base color was Floquil Butternut mixed 2:1 with Antique White, the lighter grain is WEM Nocciola Chiarro and the darker is WEM Marrone Mimetico #4.  The black & white Jasta 12 markings and Neckel's chevrons were simply masked and painted in the conventional manner; Reefer White from Floquil, Aircraft IP Black from Model Master, and Russian WW2 Light Grey from Floquil's old military flats line. 

This has been one fun build so far and I can see why so many WW1 modelers are building successive WNW kits, since I'm already poring over the others in my stash to figure out which will be next.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:00:19 PM by Vickers »
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 02:12:40 PM »
Wow!! Those are two massive build updates!! Great work and a nice scheme.

Steve

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 03:51:01 PM »
You have chosen a very nice scheme. Apart from the fact, that your "Albatros-green" looks more like Zincchromate (which is of absolutely no importance, as you like it as it is), this is a very clean build. Impressive.

Stefan

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 06:05:34 PM »
Wow ............ GREAT job. What a couple of updates, epic in scale and achievement. Those really are informative postings and visually make for an impressive resource.
I'm really impressed by the exterior panels and their graining ................ well done that man.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline michael

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 06:53:44 PM »
Fantastic stuff  :) and a good read as well!

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline Adam

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »
Albatroses are my favorite airplanes, yours looks great.

Adam.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Fantastic stuff  :) and a good read as well!

michael

What he said.  Excellent work!  This will be a gorgeous Alby when complete. ;D  Inspires me to start thinking about building a few. ;)

Regards,

Bob

Offline mgunns

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 09:56:26 PM »
Hello Vickers:

You are doing fantastic work on the Albatros.  Your finish on the fuselage is quite stunning, you seem to have captured that warm honey tone of the Albatros finish.  The engine looks like an engine.  Grimy, a bit dusty and used.  I like the lozenge seat back panel as well, a nice touch.  Your comments and photos are informative and a good reference for others working on this kit.  I am going to have to pop for the Radu wood grain stencils.
Outstanding work all around.  So welcome aboard and keep those updates coming. 

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 02:30:07 AM »
Hi Vickers, great job so far, did you use the Taurus timing gear on your engine build?  Several of us on the forum have tried it and found it to be 1mm too long.

Cheers

Pete.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:16:10 AM by Pete Nottingham »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 05:14:53 AM »
Wow, Vicker's!  You've made phenomenal progress over the last 24 hours! ;) This is shaping up to be an extraordinary beauty.  Your cockpit and engine work are brilliant and I really like the way your wood grain turned out.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline kinnies

• Biggles flies low
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 05:20:20 AM »
Ooh, that wood looks really sharp. How does Radu's wood template work? I thought about getting them, but opted for decals for the time being.
John