Author Topic: Fokker E.II 69/15 Kurt von Crailsheim  (Read 29532 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Fokker E.II 69/15 Kurt von Crailsheim
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 04:27:30 PM »
Dirk,
An absolutely gorgeous cockpit! Your work is awesome from the painting to the details.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 09:19:55 PM »
Coming along superbly now Dirk, great job.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 10:37:42 PM »
Very nicely done. My eye was drawn immediately to the turnbuckles on the bracing wires. I sure hope this is all visible once the fuselage is all buttoned up.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 04:54:21 AM »
Beautiful work. Looking forward to the next step - just quit work and build models...... ;)

Steve

Offline gcn

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 08:41:29 PM »
Nice work, I think the black background helps set off the model a treat.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 08:47:56 PM »
You have done a superb job on the cockpit Dirk, your attention to detail is excellent and well executed.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

mike in calif

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 11:43:38 PM »
Dirk, Nice bit of work in the 'pit. Looks to be fairly complex when all the detail is added.

Offline dirk

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 12:45:28 AM »
Thanks to everybody who has given me a feedback to my last post. You guys keep me hooked on building and posting...

@mike: The cockpit was far more complex tham I expected while looking at that small instrument panel at the beginning. Especially the bracing wires and the wires under th oil pump caused some fitting problems at the stage,when the the fuel tank was positioned together with the instrument panel between the side frames. The tachometer snapped off - a good occasion to take some pics of that instrument. ;D

@gcn: I my opinion, the blackground serves well as a contrast to the wooden and metallic elements and especially during the work in progress.

Anyway, I wish you all happy eastern and some peaceful and relaxing days,

with greetings from Germany,

Dirk

Offline dirk

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 01:10:33 AM »
Here are some pics of the fitting of the cockpit into the fuselage. First I glued the cockpit into the left half of the fuselage. Before this, I cleaned every part that needs some glue. The rear side of the cockpit shows some pins to help the cockpit to get into place. After some dry fitting, I found it more useful to cut the pins away on the right side. The fuselage comes together well after I sanded down the rear part of the right side of the cockpit where the wings are fixed. At about 0.5 mm have been sanded down. On this part of the build, dry fitting shows the excellent fit of the kit: even a coat of laquer has its effect on the fit of the halves of the fuselage. The glueing of the fuselage comes in two steps and is extremely clever engineered: The bottom of the fuselage has to be glued by using the lacing as a seperate part, that covers the seam...

Dirk
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:52:02 AM by dirk »

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 03:13:18 AM »
I know it's a ridiculous thing to say? But, all that lovely hard won detail disappearing into the deep dark shadows of the insides!!! It would/will grieve me to no end.

Suffice to say it all looks pretty darn amazing - double huzzahs from me.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline Adam

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 05:47:12 PM »
I think, the feeling that these parts are there is priceless.

Adam.

Offline michael

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2013, 06:56:25 PM »
Fantastic stuff Dirk  :)

this will be a great reference for anyone building this kit.

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 09:53:41 PM »
Faultless workmanship Dirk, you have achieved a remarkable result with the cockpit, very well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline dirk

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Hi friends,

here are some pictures of my work on the cowlings. It takes a lot of time to reproduce those squiggles and it is also very interesting, how this pattern becomes more and more convincing to the observers eye the more of the surface is covered with the pattern. For the squiggles I used Vallejo Acrylics - one drop is all you need for ar about one hour of painting ;D. By the way there is some risk in getting some sort of "snow-blind" in making the pattern on a very low contrasting surface. I will experiment with a finishing coat of alclad to reach a more convincing, unique look of the metal. While trying to overpainted some parts of the pattern a few days before, I made the experience that the underlying squiggles were still be visible.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 11:14:35 PM »
I can well imagine that this task would result in some eye strain. It looks very realistic to me. I think you nailed it!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.