Author Topic: Fokker E.II 69/15 Kurt von Crailsheim  (Read 29998 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Fokker E.II 69/15 Kurt von Crailsheim
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2013, 10:26:56 AM »
Another interesting, informative and inspiring tutorial. The results look superb of course. Thanks again for taking the time to share.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2013, 11:46:23 AM »
  Dirk,
You make it look easy my friend and that's a tell of a Master Craftsman. I very much appreciate all the fantastic tip your sharing. Very much looking forward to the next update.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline dirk

« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2013, 06:31:29 PM »
Thanks for all your comments, friends. I am now facing one problem and need some help: After varnishing the surface and wings with future the subtile detail gets lost a little bit. How can I bring it back to life, especially the mottled linnen applied by sponge? Would you sand down the coat of future a little bit or apply silk or matte varnish over the coat of future?

Dirk

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2013, 11:32:20 PM »
  Dirk,
I would go with a coat of semi gloss varnish over the Future myself. I've not tried sanding the Future down,but I suppose that could work as well if done with very fine grain sandpaper. Not regular fine paper but the type used to polish canopies with.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2013, 12:47:06 AM »
As others have said - thankyou for another instructional posting!!

Steve

Offline dirk

« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2013, 01:36:46 AM »
Dear friends,

thanks for your last replies, Vallejo Satin Varnish worked well over the gloss future varnish and rescued all the detail work on the fuselage.

Here is some update on the rudder: I added some turnbuckles, made by 0.6/0.3 mm albion tube and 0.15 mm copper wire. For the locating pin to the fuselage I used albion tube of the same size.

The rudder was sprayed by using Tamiya XF60 as "Fokker Beige". I used the "Hairspray method" and sprayed a layer of XF-2 white over the coat of hairspray. By using a wet brush, the underlying beige come out on specific, heavy exposed areas, especially towards the outer parts of the rudder.

Hope you like it,

Dirk
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 01:39:18 AM by dirk »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2013, 05:30:10 AM »
So so nice...

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »
Very cool, and very real!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2013, 12:16:56 PM »
Excellent work. The airflow/abrasion effect is perfect.

Steve

Offline michael

« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2013, 06:54:05 PM »
Fantastic Dirk simply fantastic !

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Online RAGIII

« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2013, 03:25:42 AM »
Dirk,
A very realistic looking weathering pattern on the Rudder! Beautiful work all around!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2013, 04:39:29 AM »
Most impressive detail work. Thank you for explaining the way you worked.

Stefan

Offline IvotB

« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2013, 05:50:19 AM »
Dirk,

Nice technique to try for myself sometime in the future. The effect is excellent, although I do not really understand how you can achieve a kind of chipping effect using a wet brush. To me it seems that you should realise a more abrasive effect, but your result is absolutely convincing, so I'll try this as you explained.

regards,
Ivo

Offline mgunns

« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2013, 07:10:11 PM »
Hello Dirk:

Just catching up a bit.  Thanks so much for explaining how you do your finishes.  This is interesting and fun to see how you put this all together.  On the rotary engines for the plug leads, I use EZ line.  It always stays taut and there is a copper color as well.
I am trying to understand the hairspray method and the wet brush effect on the rudder.  It is so convincing.  I know you spray hairspray, then the white, but the wet brush?  Do you use a wet brush after the white dries?  Does the hairspray act as a barrier that lets the wet brush pick the paint off? 
Looking forward to more.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline dirk

« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2013, 08:01:34 PM »
Hi Mark, hi Ivo,

some explanations to the "Hairspray Method" that i use. The base colour, in my case the Fokker beige gets some Vallejo gloss varnish. After letting the coat dry for at least one day, hairspray was sprayed until the whole rudder received a wet look. I waited 3-5 minutes and sprayed my Tamiya XF-2 White over it. After that and within another 3-5 minutes the white was treated with a wet brush. The water solves the white coat within one stroke of the brush. The next stroke after a few seconds removes the white coat almost instantly and I had to be very careful, not to remove too much of the white coat. After drying, the rudder gets its final coat of satin varnish.

So the coat of hairspray has its function as a instable water solvable layer between the base coat (i.e. linnen or aluminum) and the weathered top coat (here: white)

Here is a link to Mig Jiminez, explaining the technique in a far more detailled and eloquent way  :)

http://migjimenez.blogspot.de/2009/11/hairspray-technique-vol1.html and just because videos speak more than thousand words...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CNFdEZnQN8

Cheers, Dirk
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 08:09:45 PM by dirk »