Author Topic: WnW Albatross  (Read 1715 times)

Offline lawman56

• What about a pointed stick?
WnW Albatross
« on: March 06, 2013, 11:50:52 AM »
Hi all,

Not quite sure exactly where to post this question, so if I need to be pointed in another direction, feel free to point!

As I stated before, I have yet to build an aircraft from WWI, and was thinking of the WnW Albatros D.V as my first. My plan is to either do it in the markings of  Udet or Von Schleich. I haven't decided yet. I do know that at  some point I'll do another to represent Von Richthofen, considering it was his preferred aircraft.

I have already planned to aquire the Aber Spandau 08/15 guns and HGW seatbelts. Eduard offers a set of control horns generic to all aircraft of this era. Is that something that could be of use, or not?

I've also seen others on this site mention instrument bezels, and the use of printers ink. I've never used printers ink, so any info on this would be helpful.

Lastly; what is recommended for rigging? I've seen others mention everything from stretched sprue, (which I never have good luck with. Just burnt fingers), thin wire, monofiliment, e-z line and sewing thread. This will be the first craft I've ever had to rig, so what suggestions for a newbie are there?

Bear in mind, I don't mind buying aftermarket to get as much detail as possible. As much as I love to build, my greater passion lies in the detailing, weathering and diorama creation, versus scratchbuilding.

Thanks in advance for all the help  :)

Joe Clark

"Illegitimi Non Carborundum"

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: WnW Albatross
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »
Hi Joe,

I can address a couple of your questions. But first, I think you should check out the several outstanding D.V / D.Va build logs here:

Des' D.V-- an excellent build and lots of ideas for super detailing
Lance Caroll's Jasta 15/18 Kurt Monnington D.V -- a fine build with some useful hints and detailing ideas
Kornbeef's "D.Va with a side of AMS -- Keith catches details like no one else I think-- tons of great ideas
Pete Nottingham's "Old Jasta 5 Workhorse" -- a lovely vignette featured a beautifully weathered Albatros
Przemol's D.V -- a lovely build with many outstanding features including mind-boggling nail detail

(I am sure am leaving a few worthy logs out, apologies to anyone have omitted.)

The HGW belts are nice. note that there is a major error in the instructions. Comparing them to the PE belts in the kit will make this clear.

AM instrument bezels are available from aeroscale? (check Des' main page) but they are not perfect matches (diameter) for the gauges in the D.V. However they are useful for creating auxiliary gauges that were often equipped (check photos).

I think the general consensus as to the best way to create realistic rigging is the "buckles and monofiliment" method as described in detail on the main site and in various places here.

A small note regarding MvR and the D.V -- actually he was highly outspoken in his criticism of the D.V, he castigated it bitterly to Idflieg, feeling (quite correctly it turns out) that it was no better than the D.III and increasingly inferior to the types the Jastas were now facing in mid-1917...

cheers,

Offline gcn

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:15:20 PM »
For first time rigging I'd recommend getting some thin ez line.

Whilst the most expensive option I find it more forgiving than fishing line and easier to thread than knitting elastic.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 09:44:51 PM »
ez- line it more forgiving in the sagging dept but harder to thread`thru the buckles so depends on what u rather do.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 11:54:10 PM »
Excellent choice for a foray into WWI aircraft modelling. I built the Von Schleich scheme myself and it's a colourful model. Insert shameless plug here.

Rather than Aber, my suggestion would be to look at Master MGs. Here's a link to Ultracast where you can see some useful images of them.

http://www.ultracast.ca/products/Master/32%20Scale/MAM-32-023/default.htm

They really are exceptionally good quality.

As for rigging, I'm still a proponent of the monofilament and brass tubing school for regular biplane models. Perhaps most importantly, it adds rigidity to a multi-wing structure, but it's also easy to double thread through brass tubing, it's regular in diameter, and it takes paint well.

As mentioned below, Des' site is a treasure trove of techniques and aftermarket products.

Cheers,

Chris

You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lawman56

• What about a pointed stick?
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 06:28:01 AM »
Thanks for the replies! It's a tremendous amount of help to talk to those who have already broken things, glued fingers together, accidentally painted themselves, etc...

Bo, I'm not really sure why I mentioned the DV when I know full well it was the DIII that he favored. I seem to recall a wing seperation issue with the DV, if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to re-read my MvR biography. And thanks for the build links, very beautiful work and motivational.

Chris, that build is gorgeous! I'm still tossing around whether I build that version or the all black aircraft. The idea of building the craft he scored most of his victories in is very appealing, but so is the idea of a light overspray of black on his inherited bird, with just a hint of the white flower showing through. Ah, decisions. Already spoke with the wife, both at the same time is NOT an option. I think she was a logistician in another life.  :D

Since posting this originally, I've decided on the Master guns, the HGW belts, and figure I might as well get EZ Line too, since I already have monofilament. This way I can try both and see which one I like better.

Guess I should probably finish the Mk IX Spitfire, B1B Lancer, and M7 Priest first.

Nah, I'll just do them all at once!
Joe Clark

"Illegitimi Non Carborundum"

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 06:40:18 AM »
Cheers Joe,

Yes indeed, the D.V had serious problems with the wings folding up, which it partially inherited from the D.III. The D.Va was supposed to address this fault, but it didn't completely. At issue wax the single spar sesquiplane lower wing (layout copied from Nieuport designs) -- again, inherited from the the D.III but exacerbated by the wing root design and aerodynamic forces that just simply weren't understood at the time... Interestingly, supposedly the OEFFAG built D.IIIs suffered no such problems, apparently due to superior workmanship and detail design differences, even though the structure was essentially the same...

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 10:06:42 AM »
Greetings Joe, and welcome to the Group. Just wanted to offer you some encouragement and a few short comments. First, you've made a great choice in the WNW Albatros; not the least complicated way to enter into WWI subjects but in my opinion the WNW DV and DVa Kits are truly outstanding products. Word of caution; you won't build just one, I have only one on my shelf however I have three more in the stash and the schemes as supported by after market decals are basically endless. It doesn't help either that the aircraft is so appealling in appearance and having viewed the work of several of our members and now following Bo's magnificent Build I wish I had more time and space to get at the next attempt; so many great ideas here and room for improvement on my part. Last, consider the Windsock Special Publication, "Building the WNW Albatros DV/DVa", it's got a lot of good detail, ideas, and reference photos that even a seasoned WWI Aircraft Modeller could find useful.
Good luck on your Build and I look forward to following along. If you "hit the wall" at any point you'll find someone here with the solution, just ask!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 05:16:53 PM »
Hi Joe, Just a quick note of welcome to you and to offer a tiny bit of advice.

If you plan to do von Sleich's machine and you sound at first like a *Want to get it right* kind of guy then theres a few discrepancies between the kit and the actual aircraft. It's the craft I'm building ... well is on my *hanger queen list* ATM. I can't think of them all right at the moment but the flare rack, a rad shutter needs scratching, The Rad itself is a different type in at least one pic. She has reinforcing panels near the tail later in life too. A windscreen and a few bits and bobs need to be made up and I believe the headrest is far too big.
From available pics this craft had arelatively interesting life and shows a few changes. How about modelling the buckling panels? I'm trying...

Generally it appears WNWs spinner is too pointy, the fuel control panel is a tad out of place Cowlings can present fit issues. A big point to watch out for is lower wing fit. You may need to do work around the wing stubs and the slots to ensure the wings dont droop.
I'm sure others can point out other issues that don't spring to my mind instantly
But its a wonderful kit full of possibilities as Bo amongst others have shown I only wish WNW would dip a bit further into the pool of Albatros Aircraft ;)

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 11:58:48 PM »
Guess I should probably finish the Mk IX Spitfire, B1B Lancer, and M7 Priest first.

Well, at least the Priest!  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.