Author Topic: WNW Albatros DV - Kurt Monnington Jasta 15 & 18  (Read 19226 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
WNW Albatros DV - Kurt Monnington Jasta 15 & 18
« on: May 28, 2012, 09:00:23 AM »
   I thought I might as well post this build here at least in an abbreviated form. It is part of a Group build on another site however I notice several other members are doing this so hopefully I'm not "off side".
   This Kit, like it's contemporaries from Wing Nut Wings, is an absolute jewel. Excellent fit, well thought out, and beautiful detail. I'll be using the WNW Jasta 18 Decal Sheet 30011 which provides for this all black fuselage aircraft when at Jasta 15 and then to Jasta 18 where it was no doubt changed to the Jasta 18 "Blue and Red" scheme.

This has been a very slow build; to date I've completed the engine, prop (as the example in my wooden prop tutorial in "Tips and Techniques)  and having just completed the cockpit interior, I'll be mating the fuselage halves next.
  The engine  (DIII 160PS version) has scratch built lifter springs, A/Market spark plugs, asbestos wrap on the exhaust manifold, several extra bits of plumbing, and a full wiring harness. It was heavily weathered/grimed up with Tamiya Smoke, some grey and black wash, and a bit of raw pigments as well. Here it is ready to wire and un-weathered:

And a few shots after completion:

The cockpit was built mainly into the right fuselage half. Extras include handles/levers for the fuel control panel, scratch built seat cushion, various rods and cables, all flight control cables, stick grip throttle, control lock and a clock and altimeter to name a few. All the foregoing a combo of scratch built, after market bits, Eduard Photo Etch and Airscale Instrument parts.
   The left side, not much there:

And the very busy right side:

And:

And that's where she's presently at, I'll provide brief updates as she progresses.
Comments and suggestions most welcome; especially if I've forgotten something and you catch me before the point of no return!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: WNW Albatros DV - Kurt Monnington Jasta 15 & 18
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 09:32:02 AM »
Nicely done so far. Shes ready to button up.

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 09:44:07 AM »
Nice, busy looking cockpit Lance. It really looks the part.

What are you using for spark plugs? I've been using brass tubing with rbmotion nuts (Thanks Des!) to this point, but yours look good.

Lastly, what are using for your wiring harness? On my current Schweinhund, I used 0.010" lead wire with good results but I'm always on the prowl for new ideas.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:26:42 AM »
Brilliant work on the engine and cockpit, Lance.  Looking forward to the next installment.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 10:30:16 AM »
Beautiful engine Lance and the cockpit looks a treat ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 10:53:22 AM »
  Lance,
Absolutely brilliant work on the Mercedes my old friend. Outstanding details and paint in the cockpit.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 11:35:20 AM »
Outstanding Lance. I'm happy that you decided to let us get a look and go along with your progress.
It's a jewel in the making!

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 12:46:30 PM »
Thanks All for the supportive comments; does wonders for the confidence. Chris, the plugs are from an Auto After market Company called RB Motion. Google it and I think it'll be an easy 'hit". They are actually sold (in packs of 8) as 1:24 Scale for Model Cars. They scale out bang on for the Daimler Mercedes Engines we model. The wire is from my stash of  discarded lamp cords, ceiling fan bits, and household wiring leftovers. I use the silver colour for the engine ignition harnesses (It's a little stiffer) and the softer copper stuff for cockpit work. The price is certainly right!
Cheers,
Lance :)

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »
Great looking engine and cockpit Lance.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 09:57:45 PM »
Lance,
 Spectacular detailing! Love this one so far!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 12:09:45 AM »
. . . the plugs are from an Auto After market Company called RB Motion. Google it and I think it'll be an easy 'hit". They are actually sold (in packs of 8) as 1:24 Scale for Model Cars. They scale out bang on for the Daimler Mercedes Engines we model.

When I bought their miniature nuts, I also looked at them and wondered if they'd be okay, so now that I've seen them in place, I'll give them a whirl.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 12:58:32 AM »
Chris,
    They are a little pricey however they are a good product. I got the source from, I think, Eduardo (Moniker EDO), one of our fellow members from Italy. I use nuts and bolts from a company called Vector Cut which are made of a fibre composite of some sort, also an excellent product.(even come with a set of wrenches for those who do dioramas etc.) I have another pack and a half of the spark plugs (12, they come in packages of eight) in the stash for my WNW DVa which should hit the "production line" later this year.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:54:04 AM by lcarroll »

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
Bellissimo, Lance!  ;)

Thanks for sharing & looking forward to seeing more updates.

BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 09:16:36 AM »
Chris,
    They are a little pricey however they are a good product. I got the source from, I think, Eduardo (Moniker EDO), one of our fellow members from Italy. I use nuts and bolts from a company called Vector Cut which are made of a fibre composite of some sort, also an excellent product.(even come with a set of wrenches for those who do dioramas etc.) I have another pack and a half of the spark plugs (12, they come in packages of eight) in the stash for my WNW DVa which should hit the "production line" later this year.
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks to Des' recommendation on his site, I have the Vector Cut nuts too and I'm definitely going to try out these plugs. They'll be less fiddly than trying to glue the RBmotion nuts on brass tubing.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 05:53:25 AM »
Nice details on your Merc and in the interior! Thanks for the tip re: RBMotion spark plugs. I might check that out.

I like your solution of cutting the cockpit former half way up the left side to allow detailing of the left side -- I don't think I would have thought of that. Nice thinking out of the box.