Author Topic: Fokker E.V/D.VIII,what method for upper wing streaking?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline DaveM

Fokker E.V/D.VIII,what method for upper wing streaking?
« on: February 13, 2013, 06:50:15 PM »
Hi guys,what method is used to achieve the streaking camo effect on the upper/lower wing of this kite?Have looked at Des' lovely build,and then I see that research uncovered a two tone upper and lower finish,as on Trackpads wonderful build.So,how would I go about this method and I'll be using enamels/oils.I'll be doing the Eduard 48th kit.

TIA.......Dave.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:56:08 PM by DaveM »

Offline rhallinger

Re: Fokker E.V/D.VIII,what method for upper wing streaking?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:28:09 PM »
Dave:

Check out the tutorial at this link:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65072-encore-132-fokker-f1-finished/

I have used this method of oils over sealed acrylic (or enamel) on two DR.1s with good result.  The method is easy, but it takes a little practice, time and patience with waiting for the oils to dry.  See these links, which describe my experience with trying this technique and the materials used:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1009.15

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1009.0

I hope this helps, and works well for you! :D  Good luck.

Regards,

Bob

Offline DaveM

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 02:54:42 AM »
Hi Bob,
thanks for the link to that tutorial,going to have to give that a go I think.Nice looking Dr.I's there in that streaky finish too.

Dave.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 07:58:46 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Dave, and glad I could help.  I forgot to mention that you have to scroll down to the bottom of the Britmodeller link to find the tutoruial.  Interestingly, it appears that he is using a 1/48 Fokker E.V/D.VIII wing as his instructional example. :)  How appropriate! 

I think you will like this technique.  One of the nice things is that if you are not satisfied with your first effort, you can pretty easily wipe it off and try again.  One caution: as with using oils for natural wood finish, it is important to work in a dust-free area and place the painted parts immediately into a clean sealed container (I use a plastic box) to avoid dust particles sticking during the few days it takes for the oils to dry completely.  The oils are a real dust magnet! 

Good luck, and have fun with it!  I'm looking forward to seeing your E.V before too long! ;D

Regards,

Bob

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 03:28:29 PM »
i just a few days ago did my wing for my avis 1/32 fokker ev. i painted the wing woodgrain with enhanceing on the panels with brown ink. clear coted then just basically streaked thinned oil color from the tube on the wings. dan san said there could be divided into 4,5,6 or 7 sections. in other words green/brown/green/brown is 4 sections. i will post photos when i get the top wing on next week.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 11:43:02 PM »
Great stuff Alby!  Thanks for asdding to our storehouse of info on E.V/D.VIII markings. ;D

Regards,

Bob

Offline DaveM

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 06:00:21 AM »
Thanks also for posting those links Albatros1234,makes for some very interesting reading.

Dave