Author Topic: 1/32 Roden Fokker DR1: Lothar's Tripe  (Read 5852 times)

Offline rhallinger

1/32 Roden Fokker DR1: Lothar's Tripe
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
My latest addition:

Okay, I admit it, I'm a sucker for the DR1! (two of my five builds have been Tripes  :D).  I had the Cutting Edge decals for Lothar Von Richthofen's DR1, so I jumped in.  The build was OOB using the Squadron/Encore kit of Voss's F1, which includes the full set of Roden sprues to allow building either an F1 or a DR1, plus PE.  Having already built one Roden Tripe, I was aware of the problem areas, so this build was quicker and smoother than the first effort (far less cursing this time around  ::)).  I'm getting to like these kits!  :D

I first painted this bird as it came from the factory, with olive green streaked paint over CDL on the upper surfaces, white rudder, solid olive green cowling, forward fusealage top and landing gear sub-wing, and light blue undersurfaces.  I did all of the streaking on the aircraft using a base coat of Pollyscale acrylic Concrete to represent CDL, which was sealed with Future then overstreaked with artists oils.  After five days of drying in a sealed container, the oils were sealed with Future and then the yellow was airbrushed on the top wing, empennage and rear fuselage.  I used multiple thin coats and tried to leave just a hint of the streaking showing through from underneath.  You can barely see it in the photos.  I used Pollyscale Reefer Yellow acylic, since I had a fresh bottle on hand and it seemed to match the color profile from Cutting Edge.  The red cowling, struts and wheel covers were Tamiya Red over the original base color.  Undersides were Misterkits Fokker Turquoise.  A 50/50 mix of Future and Pollyscale flat finish provided a uniform  satin finish.  Bob's Buckles and monofilament completed the simple rigging.

I am very satisfied with the final outcome.  Check one more off of my DR1 build list.  ;D  I see Voss, MVR, Jacobs, Kempf, Baumer, Raben, Weiss and Frommhertz in my future!    ;)  Yikes!  ::)

Regards,

Bob       

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: 1/32 Roden Fokker DR1: Lothar's Tripe
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 08:21:13 AM »
Very nicely done indeed, and in particular, your streaking effect! If I ever build another one, it'll be Lothar's as I like the colour scheme.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 08:31:36 AM »
An excellent result Bob, the streaking is superb and the overall finish on this model is very eye catching, very well done.

Nothing at all wrong with Roden kits, I have built their entire 1:32 scale WW1 range and was very happy with the kits.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 09:09:04 AM »
Superbly done, Bob.  The streaking is truly brilliant and you got the yellow just right, allowing the perfect amount of streaking to show through.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 08:03:27 AM »
Bob,

Just to echo what others have said - a superb job - I also like the Lothar von Richtofen's colour scheme on the DR1.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 08:42:29 AM »
Great looking tripe in a classic scheme. Show us the other ones!!!

Steve

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 10:37:05 PM »
  Bob,
Magnificent Fokker my friend. Lothar is surely smiling down at his lovely Tripe.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

WarrenD

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 02:10:14 AM »
Very nice. I'm a sucker for tripes too.

Warren

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »
Lovely Tripe Bob and an inspiration for my own ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 11:39:26 PM »
Inspiration is one of the great things about this forum, Andrew. When I see all of the great work by others here, I want to keep learning and sharing and build better models. I can't believe how far I've come in a very short time. Thanks to Des and everyone else here for sharing in my improvement and inspiring me to keep getting better at this.  :)

Regards,

Bob

Offline petrov27

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 12:00:07 AM »
Fantastic build - probably the best rendition of Lothar's tripe I have seen!

-question - what colors of oils did you use for the streaking?
-Patrick

Offline mgunns

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 01:19:48 AM »
Very nice Tripe Bob:  I too like Lothars scheme.  I have one on the shelf that needs a new tail skid that mysteriously disappeared!  I think you achieved your goal by using thin coats of yellow to allow some of the streaking to come through.  Nicely done.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Adam

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 05:04:20 AM »
Very nice triplane, I'm now fighting with Fokker Dr.1, but I'm not planing to do more.  ;)

Adam.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 05:30:50 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Petrov, I used Windsor & Newton Griffen Alkyd fast-drying oils, Olive Green, Titanium White and Burnt Umber. 

IMG_5622 by rhallinger, on Flickr

These are "fast drying", but you still need to let them dry in a sealed container for a couple of days.

Regards,

Bob

Offline petrov27

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 09:10:44 AM »
Thank you bob - I have noted the colors used for my future DrI build(s) - also the fast drying oils sound intriguing - my oils take like a week to dry.

Please forgive yet another question; for your Fokker streaking, do you streak the colors separately or did you mix up one "Fokker green" color from the three oils and streak that?
-Patrick