Author Topic: 1/32 Roden Fokker DR1: Lothar's Tripe  (Read 5935 times)

Offline rhallinger

Re: 1/32 Roden Fokker DR1: Lothar's Tripe
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »
Petrov, I did the streaking per this tutorial on the Britmodeller site (make sure you scroll all the way down to near the end for the tutorial):

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65072

I really liked the way it looked in the example at this link, and it's really easy with a little practice.  As you can see, it is done by blendimg separate streaks of color.  I want to try another with more CDL and less green.  I think there's lots of room for experimentation to match the prototypes, since no two machines were identical.

Regards,

Bob

Offline petrov27

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »
Excellent - thanks again for the guidance to that link!
-Patrick

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 12:27:28 PM »
Thanks for the link. Thats an approach I didnt think of and Im making the switch to alkyd paints. Looks to act the same as traditional oils and drys in a fraction of the time.

Steve

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 01:10:18 PM »
Gents:

I tried a couple of streaking techniques in practice on sheet styrene, and wasn't happy with the results until I found this link.  Turns out it's really very easy to do, and the oils are very easy to work with and forgiving.  If you aren't happy with how your streaking looks as you apply it, you can just add and blend more color, or simply wipe it all off and start again. 

Steve, the "fast-drying" oils still take a couple of days to dry completely, and I usually give them even more to be sure before I seal with Future.  I have heard that adding an art product called Liquin, a drying accelerator, helps speed up drying a great deal, but I haven't tried it yet.  Maybe on the Voss F.1, which is the next one on my Dreidecker list.  ;)

Regards,

Bob

Offline petrov27

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 11:48:27 PM »
It looks like you differed a little from the suggested base color on that link though - correct? You used a base of "CDL" whereas they used a Games Workshop light greenish color?

I would think your choice of CDL was a good one so that the plain fabric color showed through?

Definitely going to get some of those quick dry oils - my patience is strained with the regular kind even using several methods to get them to dry quicker I still pretty much have to leave them alone for a week (then again with my builds taking five years each to complete it shouldn't really be a big issue lol)
-Patrick

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 11:50:42 PM »
Technically, I should have referenced Alkyd rather than oil in my last post, but as Steve has noted, they work in all aspects just like oils (except they dry a bit faster), so I glibby refer to them as oils.  Give this technique a try,  I think you'll like it.  You can experiment with the base color, too.  I followed the tutorial and used a very pale green (PollyScale British Interior Green, similar to RLM 02) the first time (Becker's Jasta  12 DR1), with this result:

On Lothar's Tripe I used PollyScale Concrete, a beige light gray color, as a base coat, and it came out like this:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a632/rhallinger/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20HOME-PC/IMG_5533.jpg

They're pretty close in tone, but I think Becker's looks a bit darker with more green, and Lothar's appears a bit lighter with more CDL showing.  That's what I was trying to achieve on Lother's bird.  I like them both.  I think you can also vary the look by how you blend the colors.  Experiment and have fun!  I plan to!  :D

Regards,

Bob

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 12:03:07 AM »
When I do Voss's F.1 I will have to decide on an appropriate base coat . . . not that I want to renew that old debate here!  ::)
I'll probably go with a whiter CDL with perhaps a very very slight tinge of blue, in an effort to compromise.  :)  I have read that the F.1 was covered with bleached linen (or unbleached? I can't remember) so it was whiter than the usual CDL.  I'll also have to use more white in the streaking than the last two, as the F.1 seemed to have less streaking than normal in many of the photos.  This will all require some experimentaion on scrap before painting the model itself.

One could spend years modeling only the Dr.1 and always be doing something new.  ;)   Have fun guys!

Regards,

Bob

Online RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 12:20:50 AM »
Bob,
Beautiful triplane! I love the overall finish and of course your streaks are excellent. Not getting into the Voss thing except to say I like blue as a base because it is so different and so unprovable either way  :-X  At any rate Lovely build and looking forward to more.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 01:19:58 AM »
Rick, for the record, I like the idea of blue also, so there will likely be at least a blue tinge on the Voss build.   ;)  You're just going to have to wait to see whether the cowl and wheels are olive green or yellow.  ::)

Thanks for your kind words.  The Voss project will be after the Group Build Lloyd, so not until next Summer.

Regards,

Bob

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 02:05:29 AM »
Thanks for the further info. Its interesting how much the base colour shifts the streaking tones...and I like the yellow Voss cowl for what its worth ;)
Steve
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:16:37 PM by pepperman42 »

Offline petrov27

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 03:42:16 AM »
Thanks again for all the additional info! Looks like you are going to have quite the collection of DrIs! I still wish I had picked up a couple more of those Encore DrIs when they were on sale dirt-cheap....
-Patrick

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 03:15:05 PM »
Petrov, that's exactly what I did---grabbed a few of the Encore kits at really low prices.  They're a great value with the PE and resin parts included.   :)  I knew I was going to be doing a few Dreideckers.  ;)

Steve, you didn't hear it from me, and I'll deny it if pressed, but...shhhhh  :-X I like the yellow cowl too.   ;)

Regards,

Bob