Author Topic: Phonix DI  (Read 1407 times)

Offline DMPopa

Phonix DI
« on: May 22, 2024, 08:13:37 AM »
I am new to this forum and this is my first post.   This will be a build log of the Orlik Phonix D.I in 1:33 scale.    I am doing a repaint using a skin of the Otto Kullas Phonix DI taken from the website www.ss1946.com.      Wish me luck. 

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Re: Phonix DI
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 02:43:35 AM »
Sweet!  I have this model too and looks like a nice kit.  Can't wait to see your recolor.  Will you recolor with an airbrush or do you have the skills to do it digitally?  That's a skill I wish I had.

Welcome aboard!

Dan

Offline DMPopa

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 05:27:23 AM »
I use GIMP to do what I am calling a repaint.   I take the downloaded Phonix DI skin and overlay and match the kit graphics which in GIMP is a separate layer.   I made a change to upper wing as I decided to render it as a single piece as opposed to the three piece upper wing from the kit. 

Offline DMPopa

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 05:49:55 AM »
This is a picture of part of the repaint.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2024, 06:00:36 PM »
Very interesting to see what you can do with paper models. Best of luck with the rest of the build.

Offline DMPopa

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2024, 08:13:16 PM »
I have a question, how does Insert Image work.  I see on other posts that an image is included including an attachment.  I tried dragging the image and doing copy and paste but nothing seems to work.   

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2024, 04:47:11 AM »
Hi DM!

I go down below this text box to the "Attachments and other options".  Click on that.  Then go down to "Browse" under the Attach header.  You can click more attachments as you go.  It is restricted in that you can only post up to 5 images in one post and the size needs to be small. 

I hope this helps/works.  Can't wait to see your Phonix.

Dan

Offline DMPopa

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2024, 11:30:47 AM »
I learned how to attach images.   There is a discussion in my Introduction page as to how to add pictures to a post.   

Modeling requires an inquiring mind, a mind that frequently asks "how did you do that".   I never knew that there were applications where pictures are archived for use in providing links in other applications, like a forum.   

These images are of the Phonix DI repainting I am doing.  Most probably I will be making changes as I build the model. 

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2024, 11:51:02 AM »
Look like we have another Matt77 in our midst!  Really nice renderings!

Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2024, 06:45:11 AM »
Hear hear! This is an excellent concept and really opens up the opportunities for the prospective builder (if they have the skills or can find someone willing to assist).
Zac in NZ

Offline DMPopa

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2024, 05:09:32 AM »
The fuselage structure is made using repainted versions of the kit pieces glued to 0.02" thick cardboard.   I have had good success with this thickness cardboard as it matches pretty closely with the thickness consistent with the thickness printed on most kit parts.   I source my cardboard from promotional materials I acquired General Electric Power System Promotional materials.    Cheap is good.   The cardboard is sandwiched between layers of a slick paper material, which perhaps adds to its good properties, although I have to rough up the gluing surfaces to ensure good adhesion. 

The structure is in two parts, behind the instrument panel and at the instrument and forward.

The cockpit is repainted in parts but structurally is the same as the kit design.  I did not do any research so to make modifications to make the cockpit more accurate.    I deviated from the kit assembly by attaching the instrument panel to the front structure. The kit design has the instrument panel attached at the right and left ends into notches cut into the two sides of the fusulage structure.  I thought this to be two weak and I also wanted to be able to line up the instrument panel top surface with the rest of the structure so the interface to the fuselage covering along the width of the fuselage would be smooth.   I smooth out the structure using sanding sticks so strong is good.

Offline DMPopa

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2024, 05:17:54 AM »
I added an additional piece under the engine support to the instrument panel bulkhead as the kit design is two weak at this location.

I test fit the side pieces to the forward structure and I cut the notches at the bulkhead a little higher to ensure that the side pieces will fit correctly.    As originally made up the side pieces would hang down too low.

At the rearward fuselage structure, I sanded the top joint using a sanding stick wo ensure that the fuselage covering to follow will be smooth at this location.

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2024, 12:05:58 PM »
Looking great!  I'm glad you can post pics now. 

Dan

Offline NigelR

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2024, 06:30:25 PM »
I don't build paper models but it's fascinating to see how you guys put them together. You have a lot in common with the folks who do scratchbuilding.

Offline DMPopa

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2024, 11:22:20 PM »
I attached the side piece of the front fuselage structure by gluing and pinning into place.   The front of the fuselage structure has a rather severe curve that the flat side has to conform to.   Kind of like bending a plank on a plank and bulkhead ship model.  I used T pins for this operation. 

The side piece has to line up accurately with the structure it is being glued and pined to, especially at the forward position.    The pins help keep the cardboard side piece in place while the glue dries.   For glue I use Aleene's Tacky Glue which I can buy a 3 fl oz for $1.25.  To cut the cardboard I use an Excel #2 medium duty knife.