Author Topic: Phonix DI  (Read 2347 times)

Offline NigelR

Re: Phonix DI
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2024, 06:21:14 PM »
That's looking pretty good, very impressive work with such tiny parts. And paper!

Offline Davos522

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2024, 01:31:51 AM »
Marvelous work, I wouldn't have believed such a level of detail could be achieved on a paper model... one of the things I love the most about this group is the diversity of interests, mediums, and techniques. Between you paper folks, the 1/144 wizards, PJ's painstakingly-researched historical posts, Brad's reviews, and on and on, there's always something new to look at and learn from. Bravo!

Dutch

Offline DMPopa

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2024, 05:07:28 AM »
I have the parts of the engine completed prior to installing in the fuselage structure.   The exhaust ports will be installed after the paper skin is installed as these are likely to be damaged in this process.

I am making the intake manifolds from Evergreen 222, 1/6" rod.     I will use Evergreen or Plastruct  when bends are required as I have not found a way to get bends from rolled up paper.   Below is the in process build.

I pre-bend the Evergreen and secure the bend by heating it briefly under a flame.  My favorite flame source is this un-named torch which I sourced in a convivence store.   I am told these are favored by people who heat Dubs (Concentrated marijuana). 

This torch has a nice concentrated flame good for plastic bending work and is relatively cheap.  The separate pieces are subsequently superglued together.

These are the completed intake manifolds and painted using Testors copper shot from an air gun.  When making the intake manifolds, I was careful to not extend them outside of the footprint of the cylinder block.  This is because the engine fits into a box in the fuselage structure and they will interfere with the box if they stick too far out.

I added a circular feature at the top of the neater manifold, to approximate a feature shown on pictures of this engine from the web.  It is made from velum wrapped around a slice of Evergreen 214 1/8" rod.  I wrap first, push the paper past the end of the Evergreen, slice then push the paper back so it is flat with the outside surface.   What I wanted to achieve was good roundness and the Evergreen is thinner than the paper wrap so I get an indentation on the gluing surface side to help to position the feature.

Last is the ignition wire.....shaft?   It is made from K&S .032 Music wire with dabs of glue to serve as the spark plug attachment points to the cylinders.    Painted silver from the rattle can and followed up with Testors Dullcote.  The silver may not be accurate but I wanted to paint with a contrasting color to the valve covers.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2024, 03:15:01 PM »
Lots of hard work is paying off!  It'll look great all installed.

Dan

Offline DMPopa

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2024, 04:27:52 AM »
I installed the engine and I painted the fuselage body a shade of green to match the color of the paper skins.  My reason for the paint is because if the paper skin seams are not absolutely perfect, the under coat will show at the seam.  Painting what is under the seam, plus adding paint at the exposed edge of the paper skin will work to hide the seam.  For paint I am using a Color Sample BEHR Marquee Satin, an enamel paint purchased at Home Depot.  This way I can get pretty close to the paint color needed for a model either by matching a paint swatch or have the paint dept use the color analyzer to get a color that is a very close match. Or I will mix a special color from what I have.   Plus you get a good amount of the paint.    For a while I was able to by what they call oops samples for $0.50 and having enough of these I can cover a lot of situations.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2024, 04:58:28 AM »
Looks cool with that engine in!  Keep going...Dan

Offline NigelR

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2024, 06:35:40 PM »
Great progress here, starting to look like a Phonix.....