Author Topic: 1/72 Roden Pfalz DIII  (Read 943 times)

Offline Davos522

Re: 1/72 Roden Pfalz DIII
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2024, 09:54:35 AM »
Beautiful work, Paul! In all my years of WW1 modeling I don't think I ever built a Pfalz... too bad, as they're lovely machines.

Dutch

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2024, 04:50:23 PM »
Looks Outstanding with the brass! I envy anyone that manages PE control horns, especially in 1/72nd!
RAGIII

PS: I didn't see your color question. I have done Mine with the grey green, very light. I also used it as an opportunity to do a bit of wearing away to the original wood. I think this is the 'Current" wisdom. That being said who knows as No original survived as far as I know!

Thanks RAGIII.  I dislike are rigging control surfaces (although I really enjoy all the other rigging.) These little BRENGUN horns have tiny holes which make it easier  :o (I think)

I'll try the very light pale green/grey colour which'll make a nice change :)

Very nice and clean work! PE can be troublesome for me  :)

Im sorry but cant help much with colors, but im sure someone else can!

You and me both AJ   ;D- I often end up with superglue everywhere. For tiny brackets and such I now use varnish as a glue which works fine where they aren't going to get any handling.

Beautiful work, Paul! In all my years of WW1 modeling I don't think I ever built a Pfalz... too bad, as they're lovely machines.

Dutch

I was surprised that I hadn't done one either Dutch. . . .so many projects, so little time  ;)

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline NigelR

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2024, 06:50:50 PM »
This is going to be very nice.........

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2024, 06:45:56 PM »
This is going to be very nice.........

Cheers Nigel , let's hope so  ;D

With the lovely sunny weather I've been seconded into some garden and house duties so not much to report this weekend (although I have at last finished one of the projects on thee bench- I'll take some pics later of that one and post them elsewhere)
All the fiddly stuff done on the bits now with struts sanded down and 0.3mm wire pins added for easier fixing. I decided to replace the undercarriage struts with brass so some 1mm wire was sanded to shape and heated up to allow bending to the correct angle (I'm rather heavy handed when it comes to these things so everything is either pinned or replaced with brass)  ;)
Engine has also had a coat of paint added now so next up some cockpitty type stuff

Toodlepip
Paul

Online RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2024, 01:46:03 AM »
Excellent work on the struts Paul. Getting wire in the strut ends is something I have Never Mastered...even in 1/32nd scale  :'( I envy your skill.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline NigelR

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2024, 06:55:51 PM »
I also wonder how it is possible to drill and pint struts in 1/72 scale..... Great craftsmanship here.

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2024, 07:09:19 PM »
Cheers Guys  :)

For those that fancy trying it I've found cutting almost all of the existing peg off leaving a small disc of plastic to provide position. Taking a brand new 10a blade and rotating the tip in the centre of this gives a starting hole for the drill bit and stops a lot of skidding about and drilling the tip of your finger  :'( (I spin the drill bit in my fingers rather than use a drill to stop too much heat build up and clean it out regularly)

Incidentally for cutting these thin wires I've found nail clippers are ideal (But don't use your spouses best set . . . .) ;)

Paul

Offline macsporran

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2024, 07:50:02 PM »
Enjoying this as it unfolds ...
Sandy

Offline FAf

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2024, 07:54:04 PM »
Nail clippers, huh?! Wouldn't have thought about it.

Great work!
Fredrik

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2024, 04:27:55 PM »
Great job. Especially the thinning down of the struts - will do good to the overall look.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Flamingo

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2024, 04:39:01 PM »
Interesting to learn about your strut drilling.will follow your project.
Joachim

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2024, 07:26:17 PM »
Cheers Guys  :)

Made a start on the fuz parts. First off drilling out the vents on the cowl using a small drill and then the tip of scalpel blade. Having tested the fit of the parts I decide that a few pins of brass wire would help keep things in place once the glue was added so these were added with a corresponding slightly larger hole to give a little bit of adjustment.
Turning to the inside I removed the moulded detail and added a few strips cut from the edge of a sheet of 5 thou plastic card, compass and small pump from stretched sprue. I'll feed in the other bits once the two halves are closed up. A cushion was added to the sheet with putty, but I didn't go too mad since most of this stuff never gets seen after the model is built

Paul

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2024, 07:34:13 PM »
A new prop was carved in my usual way (carefully following Prze's instructions) although I realized after carving that I'd used a DIIIa drawing and the prop shown on the earlier version from the Windsock drawing is a different style with a rather nifty blade shape so I may save this one for a IIIa and make a new one for this (Appreciate that props were often changed so nothing was cut and dried, but nice to make something that has a different shape)

Online RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2024, 12:41:02 AM »
Nicely done interior bits Paul. Just enough to be noticed after closing her up! The prop is stunning even if you save this one and do another!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2024, 01:02:12 PM »
I'm another Pfalz fan and I'm eagerly following along! I really like the extras you've added - having done a couple of these kits it's fascinating to see what can be done with them.
Zac in NZ