Author Topic: Roden Albatros’ upper wing radiator  (Read 476 times)

Offline Unyielding Modeller

Roden Albatros’ upper wing radiator
« on: March 28, 2024, 07:18:00 PM »
Hello,

I want to have a go at a WW1 biplane. I was hoping for a Fokker D.VII. Unfortunately an affordable Wingnut Wings kit is not available in Europe. No use crying over spilt milk, so I'm thinking of either a 1/32 Roden Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter Comic Fighter or an Albatros D.III (OAW) of the same brand.

Before making the purchase I have a question about the Albatros’ upper wing radiator. I have read on this forum that it is the wrong size. Is there a way to correct this error with currently available items (no, I don’t have a spare Wingnut Wings radiator ;)). I’ve seen that Eduard set 32-583 has a new radiator, but is this the correct size? Or are there other alternatives?

I welcome your feedback.

Offline RAGIII

Re: Roden Albatros’ upper wing radiator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 11:55:07 PM »
If you read it on this forum it was probably My build log. The answer is Yes the Radiator is Oversized on the Roden OAW version. Oddly on the original central radiator version of the DIII it is correct.

Here are some other suggestions for correction:

1. Find someone that built a WNW DV and didn't use the Teeves and Braun parts. ( The spare parts board is a good place to ask) Remove the kit radiator and either cut a hole for the WNW version or sand it paper thin. I have done both.

This is the wnw Radiator sanded thin and shows the size difference compared to the Part PE version:

and by the way, the rudder is also oversized.

2. Bo does a beautiful Radiator that is 3D printed. You would Have to open up a hole in the wing to use this one but it is gorgeous. He is on the Forum under :

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?board=91.0

3. The Part PE Radiator for the OAW kit is Also Oversized but the Fret does have some nice stuff to update the kit.

4. Here is a Link to my build. Not sure why but Postimages has been having trouble lately so you may or may not see the photos.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13149.0

I hope this helps.

RAGIII
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 01:01:13 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 02:25:21 AM »
Also a big thank you for the information RAGIII. Your build log is one of those that I had a look at. Great build by the way!

In your reply you have given me the chicken way out. Replacing the radiator seems tricky to do, and thinking about it, it may be better for my first biplane to concentrate on the build, painting wood and the dreaded rigging.

So I will be ordering the Roden kit#606 1/32 Albatros D.III which has the correct central radiator, when it will be available at my LHS.

Cheers
Unyielding Modeller

PS: your Postimages are all visible

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 03:56:55 AM »
Also a big thank you for the information RAGIII. Your build log is one of those that I had a look at. Great build by the way!

In your reply you have given me the chicken way out. Replacing the radiator seems tricky to do, and thinking about it, it may be better for my first biplane to concentrate on the build, painting wood and the dreaded rigging.

So I will be ordering the Roden kit#606 1/32 Albatros D.III which has the correct central radiator, when it will be available at my LHS.

Cheers
Unyielding Modeller

PS: your Postimages are all visible

Well My answer wasn't intended to put you off of building the OAW version  :-[ I forgot one other option:

Just build it because it really can look awesome without corrections:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=14321.0

That being said whatever you do just enjoy the process and ask if you need advice!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 04:40:29 AM »
RAGIII,

Don’t worry about dissuading me from building the OAW Albatros.

Building the OAW version without updating the kit was indeed an option that I’d already contemplated. After observing the disparity in size of the radiators and considering that this is my first biplane project, I will be ordering the non-OAW kit.

I appreciate your willingness to give me advice.

Maybe we’ll write again soon.

Cheers
Unyielding Modeller