Author Topic: 1/32 Roden Albatros DIII OAW  (Read 1420 times)

Offline DaveB

1/32 Roden Albatros DIII OAW
« on: March 04, 2024, 09:36:42 PM »
Dear all,

After several attempts at getting the paint scheme sorted, some pictures of my completed Roden Albatros DIII OAW.

This scheme is the most demanding one I have undertaken to date.   It is not helped by the fact that the colour/marking diagram in the instructions are not to scale.   I only found this out as I started to do it.   If you line up where the drawing shows you on one part of the aircraft, it will not line up further along.   After many frustrating attempts I settled for the version you see here.   Therefore, the scheme is not 100% accurate and there are a few errors in terms of line distancing and size.   This was the best I could achieve unfortunately .......  In any case, searching on Google has revealed that for the few that have done this scheme, all have errors as well so that made me feel a bit better!

To paint (as you mostly know I am a brush painter) I used masking tape to give me a straight line to draw (pencil) the line I needed.   I then removed tape and followed these drawn lines carefully with my brush and touched up as required.    Painting therefore took a lot of time on this one.

Model completed with the following:

Eduard PE set (not all parts used);
White metal cabane struts and tail skid;
Hollowed out gun muzzles and exhaust opening;
Some basic detailing to engine and cockpit;
Used a WNW wind screen filed to approx shape

Rigging accomplished using 0.11 mm fishing line for bracing wires and fine knitting/sewing elastic for control cables.

Displayed on base with Elan resin pilot figure.

Completed scheme represents Obltn. Josef Loeser, Jasta 39, Italian front summer 1917.

Anyway, I hope it is reasonable.

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline djuggie

Re: 1/32 Roden Albatros DIII OAW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 10:56:00 PM »
WOW!  Those were the first words out of my mouth when I saw this beauty.  The scheme is striking and all the more so when you say it is hand brushed.  Your work is excellent and will sit proudly among any other attempts.  I could easily see that one in 1/72nd. 

Dennis

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 11:47:18 PM »
Beautifully done, Dave. That is one dramatic colour scheme! Lots of careful hours with the paint brush obviously.
Magnificent.
Sandy

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 01:34:35 AM »
    Striking color scheme Dave, and I marvel at your brush work! This Kit was my very first adventure into 1:32 Scale and I still regard it as well up there on my Roden favorite scale. Lovely work!
Cheers,
Lance

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 02:09:36 AM »
That is a candy, greatly executed, despite your problems with the scheme. Just lovely!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 02:58:20 AM »
Very many congratulations Dave for completing this one. That is by far the best representation of this scheme on the net: and I know how you have struggled with it! I am really looking forward to seeing this for real shortly - that one is a winner in every way. First class.

Stephen.

Offline Pep111

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 07:56:58 AM »
What an awesome job. That really put a smile on my face.

Offline guitarfool

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 08:58:41 AM »
Nice! Your hand brushing is better than my airbrushing. And probably faster too.
I'm sure the original was hand brushed, and if 2 of them were painted, the lines wouldn't have matched up. So you can argue that your lines are within prototypical standards. ::)
Really fantastic work!

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 12:13:32 PM »
What a gorgeous model Dave, I am in awe of your brushwork, thanks for posting.

Offline Big Sky Modeler

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 02:49:57 PM »
You achieve amazing results with brush painting.  Definitely takes patience and a steady hand.  A great job on a challenging paint scheme.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2024, 07:19:56 PM »
Wow, and then another wow for the fact this was brush painted. Superb work. I used to be a brush painter but decided I had to get an airbrush when I did 1/32 as I couldn't get a good finish at that scale with brushes. So the fact you did this scheme so effectively with brushes is amazing, well done!

Offline DaveB

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2024, 07:42:27 PM »
Gentleman, thank you all kindly - appreciated!

Lance - I agree with you - I have always liked Roden kits (except the cost of them) as they build up really well.  One thing I forgot to mention, this was a brand new kit and Roden seem to be vastly improving their decals now.   The decals in this kit left nothing to be desired and went on without any problems and no more breaking apart!

Regards

Dave

Offline Davos522

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2024, 12:18:08 AM »
Amazing work, Dave, this is an absolute beauty! What type of paints do you use? I grew up brushpainting the old Testor's enamels in the little square bottles, which always worked fine as long as you thinned them down a tad.

I've got all three Roden Albatros kits on order from UA-Hobby in Kiev, so this is particularly interesting to me. Sandy claims they're nearly up to Wingnut standards—actually superior in some respects, IIRC—and if I ever finish my epic triple Eindecker project my next bout of insanity will probably be to undertake Projekt Albatros.

Dutch

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2024, 01:56:16 AM »
Wow!  Great job on a very difficult scheme.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2024, 03:22:44 AM »
Amazing work, Dave, this is an absolute beauty! What type of paints do you use? I grew up brushpainting the old Testor's enamels in the little square bottles, which always worked fine as long as you thinned them down a tad.

I've got all three Roden Albatros kits on order from UA-Hobby in Kiev, so this is particularly interesting to me. Sandy claims they're nearly up to Wingnut standards—actually superior in some respects, IIRC—and if I ever finish my epic triple Eindecker project my next bout of insanity will probably be to undertake Projekt Albatros.

Dutch

Dutch -

Thank you!  The paints I use are Revell Aqua (acrylic) paint.   Provided you thin down adequately they paint smoothly from the brush and will leave no raised brush marks once dry.

Tim -

Thank you kindly.

Regards

Dave