Author Topic: Apologies for my sillence  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Apologies for my sillence
« on: May 12, 2023, 07:04:31 PM »
  Hi folks

Apologies for my lack of forum activity over the past five months but I have been dealing with a health crisis that paralysed me. I have been in hospital since November 2022 and am undergoing intensive rehabilitation.

I have been in the hospital for the past five months after being struck down by the rare autoimmune condition Chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP)  an acquired autoimmune disease of the peripheral nervous system characterized by progressive weakness and impaired sensory function in the legs and arms.

The condition caused almost total paralysis And I have spent the past five months in rehabilitation regaining control of the upper body and especially of my arms . I am unable to walk and will probably spend the rest of my days in a wheelchair but I am reactivating again and all have numerous projects which I wish to complete. I thought my modelling days were finished but thanks to the physiotherapists it looks like I will be able to get back to the bench one day.

During my absence the forum has continued to grow and Flourish thanks to the magnificent work of our global moderators  Brad, Lance and Zac. My sincere thanks to them.  Our forum is in good heart and the future looks good.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline macsporran

Re: Apologies for my sillence
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 07:32:30 PM »
Dave
I think we were all worried about your silence for so long, so firstly let me say that it's terrible to hear what you've been through (and we are all rooting for you,) but it's really good to hear that things have hopefully turned a corner and you're gradually getting use and facility of your faculties back. Quickly may it continue.

I was diagnosed with a similar neuropathy (although nowhere near as severe by the sound of it) and my neurology consultant started me on a course of iVig transfusions where the immuno component of healthy blood plasma replaces my own defective cells. The problem is it is very expensive and this is where our wonderful UK National Health Service takes the strain. I'm sure it will have been considered for your goodself but maybe worth asking about iVig (given expense considerations.) Anyway sorry if I've maybe mentioned something not relevant for your case.

It's good to hear you're getting through this and modelling is appearing somewhere on the horizon - maybe in the meantime we'll have to elect you our chief librarian and font of all knowledge of all things WWI, and use you as a central resource!

God speed to you, my friend.
Sandy

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 07:50:36 PM »
Dave, it's good to have you back here!! Greetings and best wishes for your health,
Richard (from across the Channel)

Offline drdave

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 07:57:08 PM »
So sorry to hear that Dave.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 08:34:38 PM »
Thanks for the kind thoughts folks.

Sandy: I had a course of IVIGs back in February but they did not work. I was then changed to a course of plasma replacements similar to dialysis. This has been the miracle breakthrough and allowed my arms to reactivate.

I have now had two months of plasma replacements and coupled with physiotherapy and occupational therapy activities I'm beginning to reclaim my life.

Throughout this ordeal the forum has been my lifesaver keeping me focused and motivating me to get well and get back to modelling. It's the support of people like our  forum family that drive me to get well again.

My sincere thanks to everyone

Cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia 
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 09:34:20 PM »
Dave,
my best wishes to you and my deepest respect for having the mental strength to get through all that. I hope you keep it and get better very quickly.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline James

Apologies for my sillence
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 11:12:42 PM »
Dave, best wishes my friend. My thoughts and prayers have been with you for a while now. Here's hoping you make a speedy recovery. It's terrible what you have been through, but you seem tough, mentally and physically and mentally and we are ALL HERE for you.

All the best from Texas,
James
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 01:49:53 AM »
All the best Dave, sounds a nightmare. Trust your recovery continues okay.
Thanks to you for everything - and the moderators too.
Cheers
Mark

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023, 03:51:20 AM »
Shit - one of those things that I can't imagine happening.
Great to hear that you are making some progress and finding you way again. Look forward to seeing more posts (and builds) from yourself in the future

Best
Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2023, 05:12:56 AM »
Dave,

This is terrible news (about your condition), but better in so far as you are making some recovery. Long may the recovery continue. I also hope that you can get back to modelling again as that will help to give you an incentive to keep getting better. I too will keep you in my thoughts in future and will be willing you better.

Stephen.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2023, 11:04:17 AM »
Dave,
          To think, with everything you have been through in the last 5 months, you post an apology!!!!!!! Good gawd man, you kept this forum running seamlessly for years!! Please take care of yourself first. It's good to hear you're making progress and things are getting brighter. Glad the forum could provide a bit of therapy. Brad, Lance and Zac stepped up because they share your passion for keeping Des' project going. Sandy offering solid advice shows how much we all care about you. Get well!!!!

Steve

Offline Vickers

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2023, 07:58:26 PM »
This sounds like one hell of a thing to endure, Dave. So sorry that you've had to live in the hospital for five months, but it appears that you're perseverence is beginning to pay off and you certainly have the right attitude. I'm well aware that physical therapy can be a very challenging and painful grind. All of the more important reasons to recover to the greatest possible extent aside, your stash is calling and your desire to start bulding again should contribute to your commitment to rehabilitation.

I've been thinking of and praying for you ever since you went into the hospital and hopefully you'll be able to return to your home and family again soon.

Always with the very best regards,

Erik
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 09:41:29 AM »
Best wishes, Dave.

Rick in Seattle

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2023, 04:28:18 AM »
It is really great to hear from you Dave. Life does have some downers you have to live through the best you can to enjoy the many wonderful things and people that you get the opportunity to enjoy the rest of the time.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2023, 08:16:13 AM »
Dave, I'm so sorry to hear you have been suffering such a terrible ordeal but heartened to know that you are regaining some upper body movement. A return to model making would be a marvelous tonic for you and I am sure we all look forward very much to seeing your work again.

Best wishes for continued improvement and an exciting project to keep you absorbed.

Richie