Author Topic: Sopwith Snipe decals for the new WNW kit!  (Read 6691 times)

Offline rowan broadbent

Sopwith Snipe decals for the new WNW kit!
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:14:15 AM »
Well here are some profiles I prepared earlier..... all post-war RAF. I had also drawn the two WNW silver options.... but you can't have everything... Just very grateful that they have provided the late ailerons and tail feathers! Maybe this will trigger some more interest in the inter-war years!

Up to the minute, as the first one (E6655) is the newly delivered Snipe from The Vintage Aviator, which went on display at the RAF Museum, Hendon late last year (I took some close-up shots of it in November, which I'll probably put in with the decal set).

Just waiting for my kit to get here and the decal designs can be finalised and sent to the printers. Info on prices and details of the different marking options etc to follow.

A small set for Barker's "VC Snipe" will also be along soon.
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: Sopwith Snipe decals for the new WNW kit!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 10:29:25 AM »
Good on ya Rowan! Yes, I'm referring to the Barker markings!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:30:20 AM »
D'ya think you could add Bo King's Snipe to the Barker sheet?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 11:28:40 AM »
D'ya think you could add Bo King's Snipe to the Barker sheet?
Cheers,
Bud

Seems a simple enough set of markings for E8050, so don't see why not. I'll have a dig about for one or two others. Will also be doing markings for the Fokker D.VII Barker flew in the Toronto- New York Air Race of 1919 and the maple leaf design for the OAW built D.VII 8493/18 flown in the UK by RCAF pilots at Upper Heyford post-war.

Leonard Cohen

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 11:58:22 AM »
"Will also be doing markings for the Fokker D.VII Barker flew in the Toronto- New York Air Race of 1919 and the maple leaf design for the OAW built D.VII 8493/18 flown in the UK by RCAF pilots at Upper Heyford post-war."

Wonderful news: not only decals for the Barker VC Snipe, but also for the "50" Fokker and for 8493/18 as well. Chris, Lance and I will have to take steps to make you an Honorary Canuckian!

Many thanks. You've made my day, and that is a solid gold fact!

Best to you and Sabine!
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 12:55:28 PM »
"Will also be doing markings for the Fokker D.VII Barker flew in the Toronto- New York Air Race of 1919 and the maple leaf design for the OAW built D.VII 8493/18 flown in the UK by RCAF pilots at Upper Heyford post-war."

Wonderful news: not only decals for the Barker VC Snipe, but also for the "50" Fokker and for 8493/18 as well. Chris, Lance and I will have to take steps to make you an Honorary Canuckian!

Many thanks. You've made my day, and that is a solid gold fact!

Best to you and Sabine!

Rowan,
   Gary has said it all. (Well, most of it) Thanks so much for listening to the pleas of your loyal Canadian Following; there's many more of us then the three who have been pestering you. I remember the thrill (a very long time ago) when I located my first Maple Leaf Roundel Decals and produced a 1;72 Canadair Sabre Mk VI, thought I had died and woke up in heaven! Now you are commiting to the I Sqn CAF Logo for DVII's, Barkers Snipe Markings, and his Toronto-New York racing DVII; I am no less thrilled.
   Many thanks for your great products and particularly for your response to our requests.
Cheers,
Lance :)

Offline drdave

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 07:35:37 PM »
I'll be having some

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 09:38:37 PM »
Me too!  Uh oh . . . more DVIIs requred! ;)  I haven't even begun to think about the Snipe yet, beyond Barker's. :)  Many thanks Rowan!

Regards,

Bob

Offline drdave

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 12:17:43 AM »
There are some colourful Snipe profiles in the RAF trainers book. The one with the yellow and black striped cover, I have it somewhere if you want a scan. There are 2 striped nose birds in there. Red/white from memory. It would just need codes....

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 01:12:16 AM »
  Rowan,
As always my friend excellent artwork my old friend. Looking forward to the decal release. Maybe by that time I'll have made up my mind on which one to choose.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 09:45:20 PM »
Here's the first draft profiles of Barker's Snipe and the Canadian Fokkers:

All to 48th scale - shows what a tubby and stumpy little beast the Snipe really was! Another couple of Snipes to be added.

The first two Fokkers are OAW-built. The one with the 1 Sqn RCAF maple leaf was flown by Barker and others at Upper Heyford post war. Not certain if it went on to Canada? Perhaps one of you Canuckians can say? The one with the big "50" on the side (also below the bottom wings) was flown by Barker in the Toronto-New York air race in August 1919. He didn't finish the course, probably due to bad weather which affected many of the participants. The final one is the "Knowlton Fokker" pretty much as she now appears, although I have shown the port side with faded 4 colour, I believe that she is covered in a mixture of 4 and 5 colour fabrics. It would make an interesting model for someone with the ability to produce faded and weathered finishes and with an eye for fine detail, so that the interior and fittings can be modelled as they currently are.

Leonard Cohen

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 10:54:50 PM »
Hello, Rowan,

Well, you never cease to amaze. I'll probably get at least two of these sheets in 1/32nd scale: one to use and one (or more) as a "Thank You!" purchase for doing these Great White North subjects. The planning is well underway for a Telford 2013 visit in November, so I certainly hope to be able to thank you in person for providing this sheet and these subjects. Are you taking orders for these now? If so, I'll add my name to the queue and look forward to their arrival.

Also, I'll try to determine whether or not 8493/18 made it to Canada, and get back to you ASAP. Thanks again!   ;D   ;D

Edit: Email sent to Rowan this date regarding 8493/18: probably sent to Canada, but no firm confirmation yet. TP)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:07:02 AM by Trackpad »
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 11:14:43 PM »
Rowan,
I bow in your general direction  ;)

Will you be supplying the little red devil to go with the decals? Go on! You know you want to!!!
Cheers,
vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 11:35:25 PM »
Rowan,
I bow in your general direction  ;)

Will you be supplying the little red devil to go with the decals? Go on! You know you want to!!!
Cheers,
vB

Funny you should mention that, Bob....  No promises but I'm looking at the idea already.

Thanks for the support, Gary!! Don't have any idea on prices until I have the final decal design done and that awaits the arrival of the kit for tailoring etc. I'll make an announcement soon on pre-orders for both Snipe sets.

Leonard Cohen

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 12:59:49 AM »
Way to go Rowan! ;D  You are truly King of the Britons!  (King of the who?).  Sorry, . . . couldn't resist! ;)

Regards,

Bob