Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Fokker E.IV  (Read 4894 times)

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
1:32nd scale Fokker E.IV
« on: December 24, 2022, 03:02:01 AM »
Hi all,
As my Nieuport XVII build is coming to a close, I've started researching the next build.
The Fokker E.IV ‘Eindecker’, Serial No: 161/16 of home defence unit Kest 6, April 1917 at Bonn Hangelar, Cologne.
Flown (i think at least) by Leutnant Hans ‘Garrelt’ Müller.
There were two pilots with the same name.
1. Hans Karl Müller was a fighter pilot who scored 9 victories until being wounded in combat on the 26th of December 1916, after which he was withdrawn from operational flying and instead was given test pilot duties for the Siemens-Schuckert company.
2. Hans Müller was also a fighter pilot and survived the war and it’s the similarity of the pilot in the following photographs that leads me to believe he is the correct person for this aircraft, given the photograph in the aircraft was taken in April 1917.
However, given the information available, the identity of the actual pilot is my ‘best guess’ and may not be correct.

Hans Müller was born in Etzel, Ostfriesland on the 3rd of July, 1896.
WW1 service:
On the 1st of April 1914 Müller joined the army and served in Infantry Regiment No.13.
He transferred to the German Air Force in November 1916 and flew two-seaters until the end of 1917. During 1917 it seems he may have been serving on the home defence Kest 6, where he was photographed in Fokker E.IV Serial No:161/16.
In late 1917 he joined Jagdstaffel 12 then in early 1918 moved to Jagdstaffel 15 flying the Fokker DR.1 Triplane. On the 9th of January 1918 he scored his first victory and on the 29th he claimed two more victories, although the second was unconfirmed. In March 1918, after shooting down an RE8 for his third confirmed victory, his aircraft was badly damaged over no man's land, but he managed to make it back to his own lines.
He finally moved to Jagdstaffel 18 and it was between the 27th of March and the 22nd of September 1918, that he shot down and destroyed ten more opponents, one of which was possibly Paul Baer, the first American ace of the United States Air Service.
It was between 9:00 and 9:15 AM on 14 September 1918, Müller shot down three SPAD XIII aircraft from the 103rd Aero and at 2.40 that that same afternoon, he shot down a fourth Spad from that same squadron.
A week later, he finished his tally with one last Spad.
It was during this day that Müller scored Jasta 18's 100th victory.
His total victory tally was twelve confirmed and one unconfirmed.

Footnote:
At some point in time, Müller changed his surname to "Garrelt" as the name "Hans Müller" was rather common and he and another pilot with the same name were forever getting their mail
confused.

Post WW1:
During World War II, Müller served on the staff of Lutflotte III under Generalfeldmarschall Sperrle.

Post WW2:
After WW2 he worked in civilian live as an engineer, designing steam locomotives for ‘Hanomag and Henschel’ before going freelance.

Hans Müller died of a brain tumour in Munich in 1964.

Mike

« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 08:25:36 PM by Mike Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: 1:32nd scale Fokker E.IV
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 04:35:31 AM »
looking forward to it.

Steve

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 05:29:43 AM »
looking forward to it.

Steve

Yep, as always!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Flik63J

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 08:05:02 AM »
Looking forward to seeing how a Master Modeller reproduces the oil staining/paint chipping on this one Mike!
Following along as always,

David

Online DaddyO

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 07:27:26 PM »
Ooooh excited about this one. Don't often see the IV version in this scale  :D

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Allan31

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2022, 02:08:14 AM »
Yum...
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2022, 07:19:24 AM »
Mike, that's great! I also have this kit and I also plan to make it this version!
I live in Bonn, near Hangelar airfield, which is one of the oldest airfields in Germany - and still alive and kickin‘! 😁
A few years ago I published an article about the first air-raid on Bonn, which took place on October 31st, 1918 - and home-defence squadron KEST 6, only a FEW kilometers from Bonn, did nothing to intercept the six DH.4 from #55 Squadron (IF)…
If you are interested: The municipal archives in Sankt Augustin have quite some information on KEST 6 (first hand accounts of former pilots etc.). And the book to read is „Bonn-Hangelar: Geschichte eines Flugplatzes, Vol. 1“, by Hartmut Küper - yes, its in german… And if you are interested Vol.2 (😁): I could try to translate and post my „short story“ of KEST 6 at Hangelar in WW1.

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2022, 08:33:20 AM »
Mike, that's great! I also have this kit and I also plan to make it this version!
I live in Bonn, near Hangelar airfield, which is one of the oldest airfields in Germany - and still alive and kickin‘! 😁
A few years ago I published an article about the first air-raid on Bonn, which took place on October 31st, 1918 - and home-defence squadron KEST 6, only a FEW kilometers from Bonn, did nothing to intercept the six DH.4 from #55 Squadron (IF)…
If you are interested: The municipal archives in Sankt Augustin have quite some information on KEST 6 (first hand accounts of former pilots etc.). And the book to read is „Bonn-Hangelar: Geschichte eines Flugplatzes, Vol. 1“, by Hartmut Küper - yes, its in german… And if you are interested Vol.2 (😁): I could try to translate and post my „short story“ of KEST 6 at Hangelar in WW1.

You are lucky to have access to such information.
There's is some conjecture over the identity of the pilot, but the aircraft was apparently on Kest 6.
Any information you have on Kest 6 would be a nice addition to add to my build log,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 05:45:43 AM »
Hi all,
The Oberursel U.III engine is one.
Basically a German copy of the French 'Lambda 14' double row 14 cylinder rotary engine (160hp).
It was essentially two 7 cylinder Oberursel U.0 engines (80hp) bolted together.
I admire the fine detail created by 'Taurus Models' for their resin engine, which I intended to use instead of the kit supplied engine.
However and not for the first time, I found the small parts (soft resin) were easily broken, no-matter how careful I was assembling them.
So I decided to make a hybrid from the 'Taurus Models' engine and the 'Wingnut Wings' engine.
The finer detailed engine crankcase, cylinders and spark plugs are from the 'Taurus' engine.
The valve gear and push rods are from the 'Wingnut Wings' kit.
I think it'll look OK even though the bottom half of the engine is highly visible.
The ignition leads (which of course can barely be seen) are 'EZ' black stretch line (Fine).

Mike

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 05:48:14 AM »
Gorgeous Engine Mike! Hell, I would settle for being able to take a photo as good as that...let alone the actual Motor  ::)
RAGFIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 06:57:44 AM »
Very nice work

Steve

Offline acewwi

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 07:05:19 AM »
Ready to fly, Mike
Spyros

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 07:24:01 AM »
Excellent engine detailing. Nice work utilizing the best of the WNW and Taurus models engines.  Looking forward to seeing more!

Online FAf

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2022, 05:58:03 PM »
👍👍👍

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2023, 06:01:56 AM »
Hi all,
The following are shots of the cockpit side frames, braced with 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament, 0.4 mm blackened tube and 1:48th scale 'Gaspatch' turnbuckles..
Also the rudder, elevator and wing warp controls, similarly rigged and the basic cockpit floor assembly.

Mike

« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 06:45:32 AM by Mike Norris »