Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Fokker E.IV  (Read 4942 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: 1:32nd scale Fokker E.IV
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2023, 07:40:15 AM »
I like it a lot! Gorgeous work Mike.
Zac in NZ

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2023, 05:31:26 AM »
Hi all,
Fuselage more of less complete now.
'Flory Models' Dart Dirt clay wash and 'Tamiya' Weathering Master Set A and C.
'AK Interactive' Kerosene wash used under the fuselage at the engine.
Decals applied and sealed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC311).

Now it's onto painting and pre-rigging before building continues,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2023, 06:45:55 AM »
I don't know how you do it. This looks so real.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2023, 08:56:15 AM »
I love the way you have shown the differences between the metal and fabric surfaces Mike. The oil staining is superb too.

Richie

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2023, 07:11:52 AM »
Hi all,
The support pylon in front of the cockpit is moulded to scale.
This makes the pylon weak and liable to distortion or breaking if subjected to stress.
In addition, despite the good key supports in the fuselage for the wings, the weight of the wings does impart a downward leverage (anhedral).
Therefore, as with my E.1 model, I chose to replace the pylon and its cable pulley.

The cable pulley was cut from three 2.5 mm diameter and two 1.75 mm diameter discs of 0.2 mm thick plastic card.
The pylon was made from 1.0 mm and 0.6 mm Brass tube with 0.4 mm diameter Brass rod, on which are two 'Gaspatch' 1:32nd scale Type C turnbuckles.
The parts were soft soldered together and the cable pulley secured onto the 0.5 mm rod.
A holes of 0.2 mm diameter was drilled through the flattened front tube to allow rigging lines to be attached,

Mike

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 03:10:52 AM by Mike Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2023, 05:35:17 PM »
This is realy beautiful, lovely details, all of them.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2023, 12:08:03 AM »
I have to admit that I wasn’t too excited about this color scheme at first. But after drooling over this recent update I’m totally sold on it!  Just gorgeous paintwork sir!

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2023, 08:54:59 AM »
Hi all,
The rest of the parts have now been painted and decals added.
'Flory Models' Dark Dirt clay wash used for weathering/stain.
Over sprayed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC311) to seal the finish.

Now onto pre-rigging before final assembly,

Mike

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2023, 04:43:37 AM »
Hi all,
Getting close to the finish now,
Rigging completed using 0.08 and 0.12 mm diameter mono-filament with 0.4 and 0.5 mm diameter blackened Brass tubes.
'Gaspatch' 1:48th/1:32nd and 'Proper Plane' 1:32nd scale turnbuckles.

Just the gun sights, windscreen, foot steps and propeller to fit.
Also the display case and figure,

Mike

« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 07:56:29 AM by Mike Norris »

Offline FAf

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2023, 05:48:40 PM »
Beautiful work!

Those red and blue turnbuckles(?) create very interesting and eye-catching "spots". Painting looks awesome overall.

A question: In this build you use brass tubing and in other builds it is nickel-silver tubing instead, why different kinds? These are blackened, aren't the silver ones blackened perhaps?

Cheers
Fredrik

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2023, 08:02:20 PM »
Beautiful work!

Those red and blue turnbuckles(?) create very interesting and eye-catching "spots". Painting looks awesome overall.

A question: In this build you use brass tubing and in other builds it is nickel-silver tubing instead, why different kinds? These are blackened, aren't the silver ones blackened perhaps?

Cheers
Fredrik

Hi Fredrik,
It seems that Fokker Eindecker aircraft used a colour-coded system for identifying the correct locations for the various turnbuckles.
This was because the aircraft were regularly stripped down for transport by road or rail.
The propeller was secured on the struts of the landing gear, the engine covered and the wing rigging wires detached.
The wings were removed from the fuselage and attached to the sides of the fuselage.

When refitting the wings and rigging, it was important that the correct turnbuckles were fitted to their associated rigging wires.
Therefore, the turnbuckles were colour-coded and instructions for the aircraft mechanics were marked on the wingtips.
The capture report of Fokker Eindecker E.III 210/16 stated that the turnbuckles were coloured as follows:
   Starboard (right side) were coloured Red
   Port (left side) were coloured Green
   Fuselage and landing gear pylons were coloured Blue
It’s interesting to note that it seems they did not use the present day convention of Port (Red) and Starboard (Green).
The assumption is that this was common practice on all versions of the Eindecker aircraft.

Brass and Nickel-Silver tubing can be blackened with weathering solutions - I use 'Black-It' but there are others available.
Normally I'll use Brass tubing, as it's easy to anneal (soften) and soft solder to shape.
However, if the final finish is to be shiny metal, such as engine push rods, I'll use bare Nickel-Silver tubing.
Either can be primed and painted,

Mike

Offline Borsos

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2023, 08:19:44 PM »
Mike,
your Eindecker looks just fantastic, it is getting better and better with every update!
Regarding the color code on turnbuckles, this is really a fascinating detail. Could you post the exact source? This is something I never heard of, but sounds completely logical and adds a spot of color to every model.
Thanks in advance!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2023, 08:57:27 PM »
Mike,
your Eindecker looks just fantastic, it is getting better and better with every update!
Regarding the color code on turnbuckles, this is really a fascinating detail. Could you post the exact source? This is something I never heard of, but sounds completely logical and adds a spot of color to every model.
Thanks in advance!
Andreas

Hi Andreas,
I first came across this information in a review by Michael Scott.
'Making the turnbuckle attachment'

https://reviews.ipmsusa.org/review/fokker-eindecker-iii-late-part-2

I contacted Richard Alexander (ex-Wingnut Wings manager).
He confirmed the apparent colour coding and also researched the German Marine aircraft, to see if they used a different coding system.
He said that errors in capture reports were very rare, so the colours for Port and Starboard on the capture report for Eindecker 210/16 were doubtless good.
I've not been able to see this capture report, so assume the information to be correct,

Mike
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 07:57:39 AM by Mike Norris »

Offline Borsos

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2023, 04:56:47 AM »
Thanks a lot Mike! Given the care and knowledge that was always present in researching WNW products, I can’t see any reason why not to trust this neither. I will also color my turnbuckles on my next Eindecker.  :)
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2023, 09:49:48 AM »
Beautiful work Mike!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler