Author Topic: Fun Building Bombs  (Read 3425 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Fun Building Bombs
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2022, 03:48:28 AM »
Nice looking Bombs. Yet more Voodoo Magic dealing with 3D printing that I don't understand  :-[
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2022, 02:11:47 PM »
Any idea how those 50lb bombs looked like that were used with the Tondern raid?

P.S. look what I found:

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2022, 04:38:41 PM »
Any idea how those 50lb bombs looked like that were used with the Tondern raid?

P.S. look what I found:

Yeah, great!
And look what I have found:
https://m.facebook.com/Aero.Illustrations/photos/a.193638894045425/1876722845737013/?type=3
(By great illustrator Juanita Franzi)

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2022, 05:04:46 PM »
Ok, I've got the draft sketch of the 50lb H.E.R.L ready for 3D test print. Not sure yet if it has red/green stripes.  But put the Sopwiths on standby.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2022, 05:39:04 PM »
Ok, I've got the draft sketch of the 50lb H.E.R.L ready for 3D test print. Not sure yet if it has red/green stripes.  But put the Sopwiths on standby.

WOW!😳👏👏👏

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2022, 04:39:18 AM »
Pretty much ready to go full production on the Hales and Cooper bombs. Just need to beef up the tail handles and lugs a wee bit as they don't print consistently.

Decided to print the torpedo in three parts, all seemed to come out great so my brother is going to paint them up later today.

We also print a draft of the 520 LB H.E.R.L bomb... the details are crisp, but the ring fin needs collapsed a little during the printing process.  Another support sprue should rectify that.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 04:58:24 AM by PJ Fisher »

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2022, 05:13:41 AM »
As soon as they become available, I’ll order six of the torpedo’s.  Those look great!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2022, 08:00:28 AM »
Exquisite work!
Zac in NZ

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2022, 10:12:44 AM »
As soon as they become available, I’ll order six of the torpedo’s.  Those look great!

Thanks and sure!  Still need to tweak the propellers a little.  Fragile stuff at this scale, but the cool thing about 3d prints is no flash and no sanding required.  My brother primed the torpedo bodies using a mix of leveling thinner and Mr. Finishing Surfacer, using a .2mm needle airbrush. 

. .

The Hale and Cooper bombs didn't get primed because they're so tiny. We left the faintest impression on the bodies to guide where the red & green stripes go (these can be seen on the detached bomb in the left image.  The thought being that with decals/paint applied they would end up flush with the rest of the bomb body surface.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 10:19:58 AM by PJ Fisher »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2022, 12:58:14 AM »
They look great!! You can paint this material with hotter paint? Original 3D prints were acrylic only. Let us know the $ when you're set.

Steve

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2022, 03:30:56 AM »
They look great!! You can paint this material with hotter paint? Original 3D prints were acrylic only. Let us know the $ when you're set.

Steve

Thanks! My brother is testing different resins for small-scale applications.  The brand of resin that he prefers for these bombs is Phrozen Aqua 8k, (which enables a good degree of detail but is brittle compared to styrene) which after printing gets washed in '99% IPA' (I thought that was a type of beer) with no ill effects.  He tells me he's used Tamiya paints, Mr. Hobby acrylics, and some enamels on this resin with 'no probs'.  He's going to test a Tamiya lacquer direct without primer and will report back, but expects it will also be fine.  I'll post more pix of the lacquer ones once ready!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2022, 09:16:11 AM »
Like RIck I know nothing about these techniques, (I still use talcum powder and dope mixture to fill wood grain....), but they certainly knock conventional injection moulded parts into a cocked hat. Superb detail.

Stephen.

Offline WD

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2022, 02:26:57 AM »
I'm late to the party here, as usual, but these bombs are great!  I'd love to acquire some in the future.

Warren

Offline PJ Fisher

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2023, 08:27:51 AM »
Hi again all,

Thanks again for the kind words.  I'm realizing I should have posted this in the 'Under Construction' section. Anyway, just wanting to share some of the progress we're making with our 3d British bomb bonanza.  We had to take a break because the weather was too cold for the printer in my bro's garage.  I've learned the basic lesson that despite a design's accuracy, one has to compromise to get it to physically produce correctly.  This means having to exaggerate some smaller elements in 1/72 scale.  For example, the carrying handles on these 20lb Hales bombs won't print consistently because their soooo micro thin.  This photo shows a batch that only partially produced (painted with lacquer, btw). Other times the ring handles do fully form:

In contrast, we've resolved the print process on the 520lb bomb, with the ring fin, arming vane and hollow lugs all properly formed.  Added the rivet and filling plug details.  Threw in the penny for scale:

Our first draft of the 100lb bomb printed rather well. We were able to capture all the rivets and fin-stiffening stays.  Just need to add the lug and this one is good to go.

We've tidied up our design on the 18in. aerial torpedo, adding the L-brackets, connecting bolt-holes and access holes.  But, the images show how our current method of printing it leaves a 'grain' effect on the surface, and the midsection's front fitting is not as crisp as it should be.  However, we have sorted out how to print the propeller blades using extra supports (see 2nd and 4th sprues) so they don't delaminate during the curing process.

. .

My print of the 50lb bomb totally failed, but the wee 16lb was a success, just like the one in this familiar photo:

Based on all the requests, we would like to make these available to the forum. Once we've perfected this batch, we should be able to scale up to 1/48 and 1/32.  Cheers!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 02:14:27 AM by PJ Fisher »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2023, 01:05:46 AM »
Great work!! Looking forward to their availability.

Steve