Author Topic: Revell 1/28 Dr1....  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Allan31

Revell 1/28 Dr1....
« on: November 14, 2022, 06:28:41 PM »
The Revell 1/28 Dr1 is about the first model I remember seeing. I was maybe 4-5 and remember the triplane and Camel sitting way up on a bookshelf out of reach. I could see them closer as I walked up the stairs peeking under the banister but no touchy.

I have for years thought it would be a great idea to build these three kits, (now four) in the original kit markings but with just some scratched tweaking here and there. Enhancing the kits but still keeping them the old Revells we all grew up with. The Camel and SPAD are easier because the original markings for those kits are correct, for the Dr1, we have a problem.

Molded in bright red plastic with no painting required, re-boxed in later years but with better decals. Originally, it was FI 102/17 in red and we know MvR never flew 102 like this in red. 102 was an FI and light blue with streaking finish. I wanted to use the maltese crosses as that was in the first kit. Newer issues gave me the 425 I needed to use the maltese crosses if I cut away the excess white panels. Problem solved, close enough.

I got the kit off Evilbay for cheap and was thrilled to find a copy of an Ed Boll article on how to improve the kit. Don't know the date but would like to find out.

I was born in '56, it's as old as me. The wings were flimsy so I used Tamiya thick slathered around and let them set up over night making sure they would stay straight.

The Boll article says the prop is fine but I thought I could improve.

I corrected the right aileron with some .10 styrene and putty by tracing the left.

Boll would have me swap the throttle and fuel pump as Revell got them backwards but I left them as is. I did do the cloth screen behind the seat as suggested.

I will add belts from yogurt cup foil and a seat cushion.

Engine next.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 10:42:13 PM by Allan31 »
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline DaveB

Re: Revell 1/28 Dr1....
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 07:04:48 PM »
Excellent work - great job on the prop and aileron

I've built these old kits in the past so will watch with interest.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline FAf

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 09:29:54 PM »
Nice build and a great reason for building it!
/Fredrik

Offline RichieW

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 03:52:17 AM »
A great start to the project, this is going to be fun to watch. I love the childhood memories of climbing the stairs to get a better view of the kits.

Richie

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 06:02:20 AM »
This is looking really good, Allan! Some nice corrections and some great extra details going in... I will follow along with enormous interest! Regards, Marc.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 09:57:20 AM »
Good to see an old timer being given a bit of attention. This will be fun to watch.

Stephen.

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 10:41:27 AM »
Sharp interior work Allan!   Nice fix with the ailerons as well.   

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 01:13:46 AM »
Nostalgia aint what it used to be! Great start

Steve

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 06:20:50 AM »
Allan,

I wrote the article in 1978,the model took 2nd place at the 1978 IPMS Nationals in Atlanta. It now resides in the Richthofen Case in The San Diego Aerospace Musem along with another 1/28 MvR a/c 127/17. There are also 5 other Dr-1s of 5 other Aces ( all were 1st place winners at various other Nationals over the years) in a PLM Display case.

Enjoy your build

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2022, 12:34:41 PM »
Allan,
That looks beautiful.  I appreciate the detailed look at some corrections, as my many 1/72 Revell Dr.Is share the same idiosyncrasies.  In particular, that aileron.  I was resigned to building many many kits with the port aileron shaved back to match the stbd side.  That tracing is a fix I can implement in 1/72, although the interior details are too small for me to bother with.

Thanks!
Rick in Seattle

Offline Allan31

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 09:47:13 AM »
Thanks Ed and everyone else for following along.

Looking at photos of 425, I redid the cockpit combing using styrene rod that I will cut down and reshape.

Using an ellipse guide, I cut out the crosses. I wanted a thicker white border but I discovered the Revell art is sized wrong sometimes, the white available dictated the outline. They did their best 1957.

Everything in Tamiya fine white and masking for the first coat of Vallejo 71.102 red.

After the first coat dried I then applied the black markings to be over-sprayed with a second coat.

I shot a second coat and applied the rest of the kits markings, Now everyone is drying waiting for a coat of Future and weathering.

More soon !
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 01:51:29 PM »
Excellent!! Looking forward to more.

Stevee

Online RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 01:42:07 AM »
Allan,

I wrote the article in 1978,the model took 2nd place at the 1978 IPMS Nationals in Atlanta. It now resides in the Richthofen Case in The San Diego Aerospace Musem along with another 1/28 MvR a/c 127/17. There are also 5 other Dr-1s of 5 other Aces ( all were 1st place winners at various other Nationals over the years) in a PLM Display case.

Enjoy your build

Ed

Ed has asked Me to Post these as a follow up to his comment:

While I am here I must say Your Triplane is really looking awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 02:05:02 AM »

While I am here I must say Your Triplane is really looking awesome!
RAGIII

I second that!

Willem

Offline RichieW

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 05:22:17 AM »
Beautiful!