Author Topic: Albatros D.III (Oeffag) dual build  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
Albatros D.III (Oeffag) dual build
« on: October 12, 2022, 03:12:45 AM »
I know that there has been a lot of Albatros builds recently. I cannot attempt to match the quality of the work being posted on those posts. But I’ve wanted to build this subject for a long time and now is as good as any!
My current project is well on its way to completion. I have long wanted to build some of the Austro Hungarian Albatros with their very unique markings.  The first kit I purchased many years ago was the Hit Kit .53 / .153 version. I was excited about the nice photo etch and decal options. The plastic parts are thick and full of flash material.   Once I got some of the Roden kits I decided to kit bash using a lot of those extra parts.
The second kit is from Encore 1/72. It is the Roden plastic with new photo etch and resin details.
Here’s what I have in the Hit Kit box:

Look at all that flash material!

Extra Roden parts

Here’s the decals. The top ones are Americal Gryphon Brumowski camouflage

I cut out the Hit Kit upper engine and cockpit area of the fuselage.  The Roden part was wider so I had to add plastic shim to the fuselage join to accommodate.  Also had to thin the fuselage sidewalls.

Still had difficulty getting the photo etch to fit. I had to cut the top and squeeze together. It won’t be seen when everything is closed up anyway

I found a metal 180HP Austro Daimler engine. No way to salvage the Hit Kit blob of plastic engine

The Encore kit:

Fuselage is closed up. All parts fit well inside

Here’s the Roden and Hit Kit upper wings. I used a spare Roden center section because the radiator details are much better. I added the etch detail and scratch built some things

Engines painted and interior parts. I had to scratch build the second set to match the Roden parts

Hit Kit interior

Encore interior

Fuselage closed up and puttied

Thanks for looking in

Offline DaddyO

Re: Albatros D.III (Oeffag) dual build
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 03:20:23 AM »
Following with interest Tim since I've a few Albie kits waiting to be built (well 'tsi one of my favourites)

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 04:25:49 AM »
I'm really enjoying Albatros season here on the forum - I've never heard of this kit! Excellent work so far!
Zac in NZ

Offline Luftace

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 07:54:37 AM »
These are looking really nice Tim! Hat's off to you for tackling that Hit kit. All that flash and heavy molding would have me reaching past it for the Roden kit for sure. Looking forward to seeing the silk purse from that sow's ear.

Chad

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 01:55:19 PM »
I have decided to do two very different schemes.  The Hit Kit Albatros will be one of Brumowski’s non red mounts, and the Encore kit will be in a very dark mottled pattern on some late .153 and .253 aircraft.
I’ve primed everything with rattle can white primer

I’ve applied the Americal Gryphon decals to the upper surface of Brumowski aircraft and sprayed the other with wood base and gray metal finish. All flying surfaces are painted in natural linen color

Here I’m applying the HGW wood decals over the white primer.  ( after coats of Future floor polish.

The wood decals look much better than applying over the wood color paint as I did on my Albatros C-V build

Trying a couple of techniques on a paint mule
I’m going with the left hand version

Starting with Model Master Burnt umber acrylic
Thin watery application then gradually adding fuller paint for tonal variety

Then I added the dark green mix of Model Master dark green with flat black enamels 4:1

Here’s where I left off this weekend. 

Hit Kit
Godwin Brumowski aircraft.  He was known to fly this one occasionally.

I’m not impressed with the Hit Kit decals. They were thin and wanted to break apart. Luckily I anticipated this and covered with three coats of Micro Film
The white is also very translucent   

Encore
. Alb.D.III (Oef) s.153 (late), w/n 153.199, Flik 3J, August 1918 Flown by Otto Forster

I have added this gun blast tubes from brass rod on both kits. The exhaust pipes are not finished on the one aircraft due to running out of time.  I’ll add them next week. 

Thanks for looking in!

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 05:23:56 PM »
Blimey you haven't been hanging about with these Tim  :o

(Takes me a few days to decide which brush to use!)  ;)

Great progress so far. Look forward to seeing the rigging stage . . .

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 01:32:02 AM »
Thanks Paul.  I’ve had the luxury of two weeks off work so a lot of bench time.   But now I’m back at it and scheduled out till Christmas!  Updates will be less frequent. 

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2022, 09:58:28 PM »
Part VI

All the major components are assembled and painted. Just need to stick em together now. I had some issues with the Americal decals not wanting to adhere to the upper wing. I think it’s finally tamed.

Here’s where I’m at for the moment:
Encore kit:

This is a mid production (.153) aircraft but one of the last batch before the .253 series. The irnse kreuz have been overpainted with balken kreuz so must have been in service post March 1918

Hit Kit model:

Next post should be the completion.
Thanks for looking in!

If anyone has this Hit Kit boxing and doesn’t plan on using these markings, I would trade heavily for the fuselage artwork. As you can see the decals are very opaque. I have the Roden decal but it is slightly smaller and wouldn’t overlap evenly.
Thanks!

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2022, 05:48:40 AM »
I’ve completed this dual build. More pictures on Completed forum.

Offline Glenn Boss

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 11:14:05 AM »
Nice work, Tim, and that was fast! Love the unusual camouflage on both aircraft. I like that you built the models as a pair. That's a time saver.

Glenn

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2022, 08:32:19 PM »
Thank you Glenn. I don’t usually build multiple kits simultaneously. You are correct that it does speed the process a little.  I was able to complete these quickly due to unusual time home from work. Things have picked up again and I’ll be busy through the holidays now.  Probably won’t be able to start my next project till January!

Offline Rip Van Winkle

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 09:53:12 AM »
Great job.  I enjoy building the Austrian Albatros

Offline William Adair

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2022, 11:54:03 AM »
Fantastic work.  Well done and congratulations on dealing with two very difficult builds.  I’m really impressed!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2022, 07:29:32 AM »
Another build I have not seen since I took a Time Out! All I can say is I am Impressed with both, especially the camo painting!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Allan31

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2022, 05:47:05 AM »
Love 'em !!!
Thanks,
Allan Buttrick

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.