Author Topic: 1/72 Albatros CII  (Read 5453 times)

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
Re: 1/72 Albatros CII
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2022, 08:14:20 AM »
I'm a bit late in joining the party, but I'm already hooked Stephen....

I re_read some of your earlier build logs, trying to find how you mould your nacelles, but I couldn't find it. Vac_form? Boiling water? Heatgun?

Willem

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 08:25:20 AM »
Willem,

I have probably not given a full description on this site of how I mould my plastic parts, but the method is variously described as push, plunge or plug moulding. Rather than try to describe in detail here how it is done I am attaching a link to another site where the method is fully described and illustrated.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/making-push-or-plunge-moulds-t37829.html

I hope that this is helpful.

Stephen.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2022, 08:45:59 PM »
Cracking start, Steve -

Great work on moulding the fuselage

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2022, 02:40:52 AM »
Thanks for the link Stephen, I scanned it briefly and it looks interesting. This weekend I'll have more time to read it thoroughly.

Willem

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2022, 08:00:44 AM »
Evening All

Thanks Dave for dropping by - you comment is much appreciated.

One of the minor problems which resulted from moulding the fuselage was the rounded corners on the lower sides. These corners should be square. To remedy this deficiency is simple: I glued some stretched sprue around the edges which need to be squared off. When this was dry I applied a liberal coat of plastic putty over the sprue, waited for that to set and then sanded the corners until they were square:

I learned this from another modeller who makes vacuforms where the same problem frequently arises.

The lower wings were cemented to the nacelle one at a time. The first was attached, supported with a sophisticated jig, and allowed to set overnight:

Next day I repeated the process with the other lower wing.

With the wings in place and any small imperfections filled I was ready to fix the booms to the lower and upper wings. I have made many pushers and developed a simple technique which requires the same level of sophistication of jig manufacture as that required to fix the lower wings in place. First I use the side elevation to draw a line under the wing which touches the leading and trailing edges and continues to the rear beyond the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer. Now measure the vertical distance on the plan from the new line to the leading edge of the rear horizontal stabilizer (distance a).

I use florists wire for the booms on my True Scale models and attach it to the wings by using the end of a round file to make a groove in the top or bottom surface of the rear of the wing. To locate where to file the groove, I place the nacelle and lower wing, or top wing, over the plans and trace the line of the booms on to the rear surfaces of the relevant wings. I measure how far forward the booms fit on to the wing - that marks the forward and deepest point of the groove. The florists wire is placed on the plans and four suitable lengths cut, two for each wing. (I know that this method is not 100% accurate but it is close enough in this scale that it does not matter if a boom is a couple of mm too long or short). The front ends of the booms are filed to make them flatter and thinner to achieve a larger surface in contact with the wing and allow the boom to taper forwards. The rear ends of the booms are filed to make a neat V when viewed from above and make a better mating surface.

Now make the jig. First lay the nacelle and wings over a copy of the plans so that the wings align with the plans exactly and lie flat on the bench.  Take some scrap plastic/wood/card and make a support which is the same thickness as the vertical height (a) and place it so that the leading edge sits directly over the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer on the plan. I use two part epoxy to attach the booms to the wings as this gives me a bit of wriggle time. When I am happy that the booms are properly set and aligned on the wing and are resting on the rear support I apply a small drop of CA to the V joint at the rear. This helps to stabilize the structure while the epoxy cures overnight.

Repeat the above operation with the top wing.

The booms should now be at the correct angle in relation to the wings. The upper and lower parts of the aeroplane are now ready for painting.

I have made the wheels using another simple process. Cut the wheel discs from circles of 60 thou card: I cut out squares, trim the corners and finish with a file. I also file down the edges until they are about half the thickness of the card. Take a length of 60 thou rod, wind it around a paintbrush handle which is a slightly smaller diameter that the wheel discs, and immerse for a few seconds in boiling water. Remove from the water and plunge into cold water to set the plastic and leave a spiral. Cut off a length from the spiral which is slightly too long to fit over the disc, pull the ends of the cut plastic together to make them meet properly and place over the disc. By careful trimming of the end of the plastic rod a tyre can be cut which will sit tightly on the wheel disc. Hold in place with liquid cement and when dry clean up with filler and glass paper as necessary:

I know that in the above image I have a tyre from red rod and a spiral from white: I used the last of an old spiral to make the first tyre.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 08:15:16 AM by lone modeller »

Offline enathan

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2022, 10:02:19 AM »
Fascinating Stephen. I have limited experience with scratch building pushers (made a D.H.2 years ago, there was no kit around here and I had to scratch build one). Your methods are very interesting. I'll keep following.

Online FAf

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2022, 12:37:05 AM »
Very nice work and explanation of it. Makes one want to try scratch building at some point... is there a book or something that could help beginners!?

/Fredrik

Online torbiorn

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2022, 01:39:31 AM »
Nice update. The edge-sharpening trick will come in handy some time and has been mentally filed :)

Very nice work and explanation of it. Makes one want to try scratch building at some point... is there a book or something that could help beginners!?

/Fredrik

I was recommended Woodman’s book, which didn’t disappoint.

Fair use pdf:
https://rclibrary.co.uk/download_title.asp?ID=1216

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2022, 01:49:42 AM »

/Fredrik

Torbiorn has referenced the standard source that modellers go to, but I have found that looking at the build logs of other modellers who add extra details, convert models or scratch build are just as informative. The important thing to remember is that there is no right way to scratch build - a modeller has to work out for themselves which methods and techniques best suit them.

In any event give it a try - but be warned, once hooked there is no going back!!

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2022, 03:15:16 AM »
Another great update Stephen with a very clear explanation of your processes. I'm becoming very interested in these aircraft with engine at the wrong end as a result of your work.

/Fredrik

Yes Harry Woodman's book is a great starting point. There is a recent book I purchased Scratchbuilding Aircraft by Megas Tsonos which is brilliant and covers aircraft from many eras. As Stephen says reading through other people's build logs is a great way to learn. Do have a look at Kensar's Avro 504 build for a great way to make wings.

Richie

Offline DaveB

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2022, 04:07:04 AM »
Agree with Richie, Steve -

Fantastic progress and the solution to squaring off the fuselage is really simple and clever

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2022, 07:32:50 PM »
Willem,

I have probably not given a full description on this site of how I mould my plastic parts, but the method is variously described as push, plunge or plug moulding. Rather than try to describe in detail here how it is done I am attaching a link to another site where the method is fully described and illustrated.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/making-push-or-plunge-moulds-t37829.html

I hope that this is helpful.

Stephen.

Thanks again for this link Stephen. I read the article thoroughly. It is very informative and interesting, and now I am contemplating on which parts of my build I can put it to use. And about what heat source to use.

The use of stretched sprue to square the edges is very clever. I've never used that technique, but there's a first time for everything.

I think the nacelle looks beautiful, and you have made wonderful progress. I can really see how this lovely and rare aircraft is getting its shape.

Thanks for your detailed explanation of your build. There is something to learn here for everyone, not just the scratch builders.

By the way, I love the sophisticated jigs...  ;)

Cheers

Willem

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2022, 06:52:26 AM »
Evening All,

Thanks to you all for commenting on the build - your comments are always appreciated.

Willem: I am pleased if the explanations of my methods are helpful. Like many other modellers I read carefully the blogs posted here and elsewhere in search of ideas too: after all there are many ways to scratch build or add details to a kit and I have learned much from others.

I added the radiator between the pilot's cockpit and engine compartment and painted the model light blue - I am not certain that this is the correct colour but as I only have black and white images to work from I am happy with my interpretation. The machine seems to have been of a uniform colour except for the white squares for the background to the wing and rudder crosses:

The next step was to fit the upper wing. The procedure is simple enough: I cemented the four outer wing struts to the lower wing and CA'd the bottom of the rudder post to the end of the V of the booms attached to the lower wing. While the cement and CA had a little wriggle room I put cement into the strut holes of the upper wing and a drop of CA on to the upper part of the rudder post, and gently lowered the top wing and boom assembly so that the struts and rudder post could be put into place. To add additional support I inserted the rear inner wing struts and jigged the structure with paint pots and left it to harden overnight. I forgot to take the photos with the paint pots for these pictures, but they will appear later:

[

The remaining wing struts were fitted when the structure had been left overnight: here the complex jig arrangement has been set up to illustrate exactly how it works:

To finish the struts I added the cabanes first, and then the boom struts. All of the wing and cabane struts were cut from 20 x 30 thou Evergreen strip and sanded to aerofoil section. The boom struts were slightly larger so they were cut form 20 x 40 thou strip:

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2022, 07:30:25 AM »
A fantastic demonstration of why complex, costly jigs and tools are not really needed to make a beautiful scratch built model. Although Humbrol enamels are not cheap these days!

Your wing making technique is superb, the styrene strips for ribs may take a lot of filing and sanding but they look superb. You've got me thinking about God's own scale now!

Richie

Online FAf

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2022, 05:53:08 PM »
Great work and what a nice colour!

Torbiorn has referenced the standard source that modellers go to, but I have found that looking at the build logs of other modellers who add extra details, convert models or scratch build are just as informative. The important thing to remember is that there is no right way to scratch build - a modeller has to work out for themselves which methods and techniques best suit them.

In any event give it a try - but be warned, once hooked there is no going back!!

Stephen.

I just realised I'd missed replies to my query on how to start scratch building. Sorry! But thanks for the tip on reading Torbiorn, Stephen and Richie. I'll keep following your builds and enjoy them as a start, and who knows when I give it a try?!
/Fredrik