Author Topic: 1/72 Albatros CII  (Read 5416 times)

Offline lone modeller

1/72 Albatros CII
« on: October 09, 2022, 06:08:39 AM »
Evening All,

I am going off at a bit of a tangent at the moment because I am taking part in a GB on another site - prototypes, etc. I have been a bit stuck with the BE for a number of reasons and need something to get my motivation moving. In addition I am having problems sanding and filing because I have a shoulder problem which is being diagnosed, (probably arthritis). I have managed to mould the halves for the upper wing of the BE at last but they will need quite a lot of filing and filling, followed by sanding and I can only cope with short periods of that. Progress is inevitably slow and a bit demoralising as after several sessions there is little to show for the effort. I decided that I needed a small side project which would not take so long and get some faster results. I am continuing with the BE and hope to post something in the not-too-distant future.

In the meantime I have started an Albatros CII: a pusher (of course) of which only one prototype was built. There are no drawings that I can find but there are 5 photos of the type at https://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft25754.htm
Basically the wings were taken from a CI and the forward fuselage was reversed and shortened so that the engine was at the rear and the pilot's cockpit was in the nose. In the CII the pilot was placed in the rear cockpit and observer in front. The undercarriage was from a CI but the booms and tail unit were new. I have the dimensions of the CII and I have drawn my own plans from existing CI plans and the published CII dimensions: it is the best anyone can do.

I have cut wing blanks from 30 thou card which has been bent in a pipe and added the ribs from 10 x 20 thou Evergreen strip. In the image below the three stages of wing construction are shown:
top - complete with ribs sanded and trailing edge scalloped;
bottom right - ribs attached and trimmed but not sanded;
bottom left - ribs added but not trimmed.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
Re: 1/72 Albatros CII
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 06:31:15 AM »
This is fantastic Stephen. I never knew of this machine. Great idea for a scratch built project. 
Very sorry to hear about your shoulder.  I’m hoping you can find some good relief for the pain and are able to continue doing the things you enjoy. 

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 06:53:11 AM »
Oh I like this - popcorn and comfy cushion to watch this one come along on standby  ;D

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 06:57:53 AM »
Me to! :)

Offline enathan

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 10:10:37 AM »
Great subject! There weren't many German pushers and the Albatros C.II is one of my favourites. I will watch with great interest.
May I suggest another one Stephen  :) A German V-strutter sesquiplane pusher prototype, the Zeppelin-Lindau (Dornier) V.I.
It was actually produced in resin by Classic Plane in 1/72 but is no longer available.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 03:44:40 AM »
Many thanks for the encouraging words gentlemen - much appreciated.

Enathan: I have already scratch built an Otto Doppeldekker and Ago CII and was aware of the Dornier V1 - the latter is on my "to scratch build" list! According to M. Schmeelke Zeppelin-Lindau Aircraft of WW1 the test pilot managed to tip the machine onto its nose during taxiing trials and then failed to appear for the first test flight. The substitute pilot, von Haller was killed after takeoff when the machine abruptly stalled and crashed. Not a successful design...

Stephen.

Offline enathan

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 07:19:35 AM »
Yep, a perfect subject for modelling Stephen  ;)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 09:42:52 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this one, Stephen.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 10:09:33 PM »
REAL modelling!

Great progress so far, Stephen. I only knew this machine from one sole picture in the Putnam German WWI book so I'll be interested to see what the 'trellis tail' looks like on completion.
Sandy

Offline IanB

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 02:22:53 AM »
I've never heard of this type before, it certainly has a few areas that resemble a Vickers Gunbus. Should be interesting to watch this come together.

I hope the shoulder eases up.
BTW are you going to Telford this year?

Ian

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 04:18:20 AM »
Lovely start Stephen! Another neat machine to watch.

As sorry as I am to hear of your troubles on the BE I'm more concerned to hear about your shoulder issues. I hope they're diagnosed soon and a suitable treatment found.
Zac in NZ

Offline RichieW

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 03:19:56 AM »
Hi Stephen, apologies for the extended absence. You've certainly made a cracking start on this one despite the shoulder problems. I hope you are recovering and able to resume the sanding and filing without any pain.

Best wishes
Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2022, 06:34:29 AM »
Evening All,

Thank you Ken, Sandy, Ian, Zac and Richie for dropping by and leaving such kind comments. They are much appreciated.

The wings are now pretty much finished - the ribs have been rubbed down and primed to make sure that all is ready for painting later. I have not taken pictures as there is little to show.

I have carved a male mould for the fuselage nacelle from balsa. I used plywood for the female mould (basically a hole cut to the shape of the side profile), and made the nacelle halves from 30 thou Evergreen sheet styrene:

As the shape is simple it did not hurt my shoulder too much! In the above image I have cut one half of the fuselage from the sheet - the other has still to be cut out. You can see that it is very much like a vacuform and requires similar techniques to cut out. After sanding the edges of the halves I was able to achieve an acceptable pair of nacelle halves:

The second image shows that the joint underneath is good enough and will only need a small amount of filling and filing. The cockpit interior was basic as I have no details of what it was like - it is loosely based on an Albatros CI from which the nacelle was probably derived. Everything was made from card. The interior of the cockpits was painted in brown as the nacelle was made from wood, the rear was black because the engine will occupy that space and nothing much will be seen. The cockpit openings were cut with a knife and finished with a round file. The small pieces of plastic on the bottom are to help join the nacelle halves and fill the minor gap in that area:

I have also scratch built the cylinders for the engine and added a valve cover on the top, and cut an exhaust mainfold from card:

The next steps will be to assemble the nacelle and clean it up, instal the engine and fit the lower wings to the nacelle.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 06:39:03 AM by lone modeller »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2022, 08:19:13 AM »
As the shape is simple it did not hurt my shoulder too much!
As excited as I am to see this build progressing (very!) I'm glad to hear it's not a painful experience for you, Stephen.
Zac in NZ

Offline RichieW

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2022, 11:02:27 PM »
Lovely job moulding the nacelle Stephen. That exhaust manifold looks perfect too. Very heartening to see you back at the bench, even more so to hear your shoulder isn't giving you so much grief.

Richie