Author Topic: 'Tis Albatrii Season...! Another 1/48 Albatros DVa  (Read 3772 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
'Tis Albatrii Season...! Another 1/48 Albatros DVa
« on: September 04, 2022, 06:35:55 PM »
Hi all - well, it certainly is the season for Albatrii!

Bertl's amazing 1/32 triple build continues to dazzle - https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13288.0
Chad's fantastic 1/48 build of the classic Eduard DVa is looking wonderful - https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13307.0
And i'm making a hack of the new 1/48 8113 re-release of the classic 1/48 Eduard kit -  https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13255.0

This just tells me... who doesn't love an Albatros? 

As I have found with my recent Fokker Dr1 builds, I am more productive when I do dual builds... accordingly, I have decided to start another 1/48 DVa. This time, I have gone with the Revell boxing, which is a re-box of the Eduard kit. Revell have moulded this kit in a very light grey and slightly brittle plastic.

Reflecting upon the fact that a tightly cowled Albie hides all of its secrets, I decided to bite the bullet and tackle something that i've wanted to do for a while; an un-cowled DVa.

The first thing to do, unsurprisingly, was cut off the kit cowls, and thin down the fuselage sidewalls. I sanded off all of the interior detail, and thinned down the interior of the nose section with a dremel:

Now, the real challenge... how do deal with those curves, and build all of the distinctive formers? Having sanded the fuselage, it was now not simply a round symmetrical section that I could use. I also really didn't want to make up each frame painstakingly by hand. I decided that I would use my Silhouette Portrait cutter to cut the formers from thin plastic. That would also allow me to design the lightening holes and have them cut out cleanly.

To do this, the first thing I did was roughly get the shape of each frame using thin plastic. Some of the shapes were going to be a bit 'odd', due to the way that the plastic had been sanded, creating shapes / contours that weren't quite oval (mainly at the point of the firewall, as you can see I needed a slightly odd shape here):

This then allowed me to scan the shapes into the Silhouette drawing program, and trace out each shape. The appropriate details were then added:

I then used the Shilhouette Portrait cutter to cut the shapes from 0.010" plastic. I had to use this plastic thickness as anything thicker would have been too hard to cut. This plastic was too thin in and of itself for each frame, so in order to provide some rigidity I cut two pieces for each frame and glued them together:

I then had the frames I needed to create the main structural elements:

Next was re-adding the structural detail in the fuselage halves:

And here it all is, VERY roughly placed within the fuselage. It may need a couple of adjustments here and there, but I think it will all work.

And proof the fuselage halves still come together...  ;D

I now have the basis to commence the rest of the interior. Phew...!  :o

Happy to take comments, tips and feedback.

Cheers again!

BC

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: 'Tis Albatrii Season...! Another 1/48 Albatros DVa
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 07:32:16 AM »
Wow Brad, this 1/48 kit looks more like a 1/32 WnW.  Always amazed by your modeling.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 09:11:16 AM »
Happy to take comments, tips and feedback.
- I'm enjoying this build
- you could offer the frame templates for sale
- more photos and soon!  ;D

Beautiful work Brad, what a terrific start!
Zac in NZ

Offline Luftace

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 11:09:55 AM »
What an excellent start so far, Brad! Very cool idea with using the cutting machine to make the framing. I should invest in one of those as it sure would come in handy for things like this and making custom paint masks. Will be tagging along on this one too.

Chad

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 03:51:38 PM »
Beautiful work Brad. Great idea with the framework !

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 05:29:28 PM »
Thumbs up Brad !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline DaveB

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 06:26:11 PM »
Incredible detail work, Brad

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Online DaddyO

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 06:47:09 PM »
Tips ? :o
Err perhaps take up microsurgery as a bit of relaxation from this sort of detail work  ;D

Just fabulous so far, can hardly wait for the next update

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 07:44:11 PM »
Many thanks  all!  :D

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 09:32:50 PM »
Always an interesting build when Brads in town.I have to admit that I gave a slight yawn hearing another DVa build but this ones bit me!

Offline FAf

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 12:29:15 AM »
Fascinating Brad! Very, very well done so far, and the rest too I expect.

The results using the Silhuette are inspiring. Could you perhaps say something more about the settings you used when cutting the plastic and did you use the cutting mat?

/Fredrik

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 06:48:20 PM »
Fascinating Brad! Very, very well done so far, and the rest too I expect.

The results using the Silhuette are inspiring. Could you perhaps say something more about the settings you used when cutting the plastic and did you use the cutting mat?

/Fredrik

Hi Fredrik - many thanks! I set up my own settings after some testing and adjusting to cut through the 10 thou plastic, as below:

3 or 4 passes will work, depending on how fine and how clean you want the detail. And yes, I used the hard plastic cutting matt that came with the Silhouette.

Thanks!

BC

Offline FAf

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2022, 08:02:36 PM »
Great! Thanks!
I did experiment with this when I first got my Silhouette, but this is good to know for future tries.

/Fredrik

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2022, 10:16:32 PM »
Stunning work Brad and I'm already pretty stunned :o  I didn't know these cutters had this ability. I had eyed a Cricut for cutting stencils but this adds a whole new dimension.

Steve

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2022, 09:31:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing your Silhouette cutter settings, Brad. 
How did you create the interior cutout shapes?  Drew them by hand using the software?