Author Topic: Special Hobby Giveaway Fokker B.II 1/48  (Read 5219 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Special Hobby Giveaway Fokker B.II 1/48
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 07:23:00 AM »
Nice work on the Engine!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2022, 12:27:09 AM »
Thanks for your comments Steve, Dave, Alex, LM and RAG.III
Weather is still nice so progress is slow. Managed to paint the wings though. The ribs on the tops of the wings look a bit heavy but I thought I would use this to my advantage. Using acrylic paints as that had gone past their usable quality as filler I plastered enormous amounts over the rib detail first in silver, then yellow then beige. Using the file stick I sanded down to the rib detail. I then used wet and dry paper of a very high grade to sand over the whole thing. What I finished up with was a gentle version of starved cow ribs with the actual ribs being far less prominent. I have done this before but by using copper wire glued over a smooth surface and that technique hasn't let me down yet. I was happy how this one turned out. On the bottom I just shaved the ribs down a bit. Next I pencilled in the wing structure that can often be seen from underneath and drew two crosses. With beige/brown acrylic thinned with Klear I brushed several coats over the pencil marks until the detail looked right. All ribs top and bottom were coloured with light beige artists pencils and a little bit of shading was also done between them and the spars. This was then covered with Matt varnish. Although I am happy with the result my frustration boiled over today when I tried to photograph it. You unfortunately just have to trust me that all the ribs are a lighter shade and the spars and crosses are just visible underneath. The coloured pencil also worked well doing the lighter shades between the other detail but this can hardly be seen in the pictures.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 05:04:30 AM by Dirigible-Al »
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2022, 12:29:27 AM »
Here are the final pics of the wings. The fuselage will now get the same treatment.
Thanks for looking in, Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2022, 07:25:48 AM »
Looking great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2022, 02:43:07 AM »
Cheers RAGIII

I have moved it on a bit more. The fuselage had the same treatment as the wings. I painted heavily over the raised detail and sanded back. Once painted over with dark beige I pencilled over where the detail was and brush painted several layers of watered down beige until it could just be seen like a shadow. The engine cowlings went on fine though they needed a fair bit of thinning on the inside. The machine effect was done by drawing squiggles with a black Sharpie then once again brush painting with thinned down acrylic silver several times until I was happy (though looking at the pictures which show more than the eyes there are a few small spots that need another coat). There is a PE strap that goes around the cowling and the instructions tell you to paint it black. On looking at archive pictures the outside of the strap appeard metallic and the inside a darker colour except for one where it appears white. I took a punt and ran a black Sharpie down the middle and painted the raised edges and buckles in silver. If anyone thinks this is wrong please let me know.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2022, 03:43:00 AM »
Wow , that is looking really nice so far Alan , nice work on the metal paneling  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2022, 04:37:01 AM »
Excellent start Alan. Looking very nice!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2022, 08:08:39 AM »
Lovely work Alan, I'm watching excitedly yet patiently.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2022, 04:14:47 AM »
Thank you Alexis, Tim and KiwiZac for you nice comments.

I will be off the workbench for about three weeks now, on the holiday I tried to have three years ago. Thought I would do just one small update. Managed to do the prop. The propeller S.H. tell you to use has no boss on it, the other one has quite a nice one cast on it. I first looked in the PE spares box but there were none there. Rather than scratch build it I decided to save time and I carefully cut the cast boss off the unused prop and glue it on the other one. Prop was painted white then I ran a brown marker pen along it for the darker stripes. It was finished off by putting several layers of acrylic ochre, orange and tan all diluted heavily with Klear.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2022, 08:13:14 AM »
Have fun on your holiday Alan, and what a great note to leave on - lovely prop job!

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2022, 02:01:40 PM »
Very nice progress Alan. I really like the turned metal cowling.  I’ll have to try this if I can find a marker small enough for 1/72.  Your prop looks great as well. 

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2022, 11:04:37 PM »
Cheers KiwiZac.
Tim - I think a Sharpie would be fine enough but if it is not, one thing I have done in the past is trim the end of a permanent marker with a scalpel to suit the size or shape needed.
Alan.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2022, 11:53:00 PM »
Nice work!! Your rib reduction process made me a bit nervous but it turned out perfect!!

Steve

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2022, 04:03:50 AM »
Cheers Steve
I had a go at moving this on this weekend and today. I hoped to get the top wing on today but this will have to wait until the next session. On putting one of the seatbelts in it fell inside the fuselage and I couldn't get it out. Fortunately it cannot be seen. I made a replacement out of masking tape and silver foil. The overlapped foil seen on the pic was tucked behind the tape. Other than getting the holes in the end bit a little skew wiff due to poor eyesight I am happy with the result. Special Hobby provide a windscreen. I modified the shape a little by putting a round edge file to it's base thus making it sit at a more sloped angle. Thin strips of sticky backed foil ( lightly sanded to make it less shiny) were stuck around it. Having done this I have noticed ( on the archive photo) it is a split windscreen so I have missed a bit, just as well the top wing isn't on! A couple of other things I noticed on archive pictures is that the shape of the metal sheet behind the cowling is different from the trainer to the fighter version. Having seen other people shave a little off the rear bottom edge of this i was myself all prepared to copy this but luckily noticed that on the training machines it does in fact curve in an arc just like the S.H. kit. No alteration needed here. I believe the top wing is also correct for the version I am building, again another thing I have seen others change for the fighter version. The rigging instructions are correct for the fighter version but not the trainer. Once again looking at archive pictures there's an extra wire running from the fuselage to the top wing, this forms an 'X' shape with the forward wire which exits the metal plate behind the cowling (on the fighter it doesn't exit the metal plate because as mentioned earlier this doesn't curve back, it exits just behind that). For the training version this needs to be added, that said there is normally a wire there on other biplanes and mirrors the Rumpler C.I which also crosses 'X' style. I came to a difficult decision on the struts. There are 4 bands around them which I guessed were metal. Although I said earlier I want to make this as close as possible OTB I decided to make the cabane struts out of copper wire. This will not only look better but will be easier to fit anyway. I made this decision when I test fitted the top wing and saw them sat on the forward fuselage. Bottom wings were just glued straight onto the fuselage with polystyrene cement. Gaps were then filled with super glue, I did it this way because I am impatient. The best way to attach the bottom wings is to copy Macsporran and use a metal rod or styrene strip to bridge them and then slot this into a pre made groove ( https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13387.0 ) There are guide marks on the fuselage sides but these are out slightly as the leading edge is lower and the trailing edge like most biplanes drops noticibly below the fuselage. This actually gave another reason to use copper wire for the cabane struts because the different position of the lower wings put them out enough to warrant them altered. With cabane struts made and cotton thread glued to them so they don't fall inside the fuselage like the seatbelt the top wing is ready to go on. Rigging is part done in prep using a mix of ezline and monofilament.
Thanks for looking in. Alan.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 04:56:50 AM by Dirigible-Al »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2022, 09:05:16 AM »
Good progress here Alan, this is really taking shape now. BTW I do like your high tech jigs!

Stephen.