Author Topic: Special Hobby Giveaway Fokker B.II 1/48  (Read 5311 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Special Hobby Giveaway Fokker B.II 1/48
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2022, 10:45:03 AM »
It's definitely taking shape!!

Steve

Online Dirigible-Al

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2022, 02:08:02 AM »
Cheers Steve,
L.M. - the hi tech rig has just got more tech!
There is a thread on this site that warns us of the longevity of EZline (which I saw after committing myself to it on this) but I have discovered another great use for it. I made two cardboard posts and glued them either side of the wings and stretched some Ezline between them. The line was set to the correct height of the top wing and represented the positions of the four forward attachment points for the struts. This was then moved back to get the position of the rear cabane struts (inter wing ones were already done). It was just so easy to glue the cabane struts up to the EZline.
Top wing is not on yet but the test fitting shows no problems. I just need to clean up a bit of battle damage before it is glued in place.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2022, 12:57:26 AM »
Looking Fantastic. Very clever idea to use the wire to get the struts lined up!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Dirigible-Al

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2023, 01:15:43 AM »
Cheers RAGIII
Top wing is on. I used a mix of mono and EZLine for rigging, the reason for using the EZline is because I decided to use thier turnbuckles and felt it would be harder to use them with the stiffer mono. To make the turnbuckles more three dimensional I put a blob of thick paint on each side of them using Tamiya gold acrylic (although I have since noticed in the photos I missed the two buckles between the cabane struts).
    For the undercarriage I sanded the wheel struts thinner then drilled and fixed pins into them. For the pins I used broken 0.3mm drill bits cut down. Thier holes in the fuselage were 0.5mm to give a bit of wriggle room which I filled with epoxy resin. The colours I am not sure of. I went with the kit instructions and painted the metal parts silver/aluminium, I also saw other modellers had done the same but I have a niggly feeling that they should be black. Right or wrong they will now have to remain silver because the cabane struts are coloured the same and they would now be too hard to rectify. I did not like the axle just being glued to the struts so I added bungee cords using cotton thread soaked in superglue, now they are not going anywhere.
    For the rear skid apparatus I discarded the kit parts and used copper wire. This is because I just prefer to burry their ends into the fuselage for strength (plus it saves me standing them down). The skid itself is stretched sprue and I wanted this to go into the fuselage too. I noticed on a photo a strap of some sorts going horizontally across so this was added using metal foil. There is also a vertical rod linking the skid to the very rear of the fuselage, I will add this later.
    Nearly there now.
Alan.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 01:22:55 AM by Dirigible-Al »
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Online FAf

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2023, 02:06:09 AM »
That is good progress! And isn't it nice to really secure parts that otherwise would be really flimsy?! 😀 Good work on that landing skid.
/Fredrik

Offline RichieW

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2023, 05:58:45 AM »
Fantastic, the undercarriage and tail skid look so delicate and detailed.

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2023, 04:21:17 AM »
Excellent progress. The rigging looks great and just in case I failed to comment before the Squiggles on the Cowling are Awesome!
RAGIII

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2023, 12:22:35 PM »
Taking great shape. Looking forward to your rigging

Online Dirigible-Al

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2023, 08:25:58 AM »
Cheers Fredrik, Richie, RAGIII and Tim for your nice comments but I have made a boob.
I noticed on  a Fokker Eindecker the tail skid does not have the metal brace I put on mine (the perils of looking at black and white archive photos), it is in fact bungee chords and the wooden skid does not go inside the fuselage. I have rectified as best I can this by putting in the bungee chords and filling in the hole I made in the fuselage. As seen from the side you would not know the difference, you can only spot the error when looking at it upside down. As this will be in a diorama this angle will never be seen so I can live with it. One bonus is, because my own skid still goes into the fuselage it is a lot stronger. as it turns out the kit tail skid would have been better to use in the first place because it has a hook at the end which I thought was an error on their part but it was in fact the attachment for the bungee chords. That's Karma paying me back for saying earlier I would build it mostly out the box and then succumbing to AMS. Otherwise most of the decals are on and this is nearly done now.
Alan

Online Dirigible-Al

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2023, 06:41:01 AM »
End of the day report after some sparodic building.
All the major bits are now on. Just the control wire rigging left to do which will be done with fuse wire. Next job will be the cock up covering operations and general tidying up. Hopefully the next post will be to show the finished thing.
Alan.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2023, 08:50:17 AM »
Wow, well I am very much looking forward to seeing the finished item. LOTS of photos please Al, it already looks amazing!

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2023, 09:57:06 AM »
Beutiful work on your  Fokker!
AGIII

Offline Flamingo

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2023, 02:49:51 AM »
Hi Alan,

your Fokker has turned out nicely! When will kit manufacturers visit museums to study fabric covered surfaces?

Your remedies are really good, but unfortunately necessary. Will try to machine like you did.

Joachim

Online Dirigible-Al

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2023, 03:33:17 AM »
Cheers Richie, RAGIII and Joachim
Since the last post the only bit left to do was put on the two pulleys that carry the wing warping control cable. The instructions show they go on the rear centre of the top wing but are quite vague as to what possition they should be in. Assuming that they just attached to the top wing I left them till last for fear of knocking them off. They actually don't attach to the wing, they are attached to a horizontal metal tube that in turn is attached to the two rear cabane struts. At this stage of the build this presented quite a problem. I tried to cut the centre section of the wing as far back as the cabane struts but had to stop part way because of damage I was accidentally inflicting on other parts of the plane. I think I did enough so much to say that only a modelling critic with acute AMS would  notice this. I drilled holes in either side of the opening and put a length of copper wire in. Attached to the copper wire are the two PE pulleys, the pulleys were housed in spare PE from the engine rather than the PE supplied for the job because it was sturdier.
    Weathering was done with coloured pencils, I am happy with the wings but the method was not so effective on the fuselage. Exhaust and oil stains were done with kiddies water colours because I didn't want to cock this up and ruin the machined metal effect already made. The beauty of watercolours is it doesn't cure so i can just wash it off at any time. The crosses on the wings have an enormous amount of carrier film which for the first time ever I managed to remove with a scalpel. I have however reached the point where I undo as much work as I do on this so now is the time to stop before I bugger something up I can't fix.
    Now to list the mistakes. The worst one is with the paint. I mixed in an empty pot what was supposed to be a 'cardboard brown' colour to replicate Central Powers doped linen. After it was applied to the Fokker it somehow morphed into a slightly green version of what I wanted. To my frustration the paint still in the pot is the same colour I made. In future I will not mix paint but just use or buy a manufactures one closest to what I need. Another was the error I made with the tail skid mentioned in the earlier post (although this was a happy accident as it will not be noticed and is sturdier). I am still unsure of the colour of the steel tubing used in the undercarriage and cabane struts. In archive pictures some look black and in other pictures they appear to be a lighter colour. I do know the undercarriage of the eindeckers are black so maybe I should have gone with that but instead I copied what most of the other modellers did and painted them silver.
    The kit has marked where the lower wings should be but this is slightly out. Admittedly the possition suggested is easier because more of the wing is in contact with the fuselage but looking at archive photos both the leading and trailing edges are below the fuselage. There is a recessed panel line on the panel behind the engine cowl that should be filled.  This same line continues raised along the length of the fuselage and needs to be removed. It is worth noting that the rigging diagram in the kit instructions is correct for the fighter version but not for the trainer. To the contrary the metal panel aft of the cowling is cast correct for the trainer, it's training edge forms an arc, but on the fighter it is more straight and a little surgery is needed for this version.
    To sum up the SH Fokker B.II kit this was a nice one to build. The shortcomings mentioned can be easily overcome and the only difficulty I had was due to my own making or lack of forward planning. With no AMS you could actually make this out the box. The best thing about the kit was the fact that all the parts went together well. The suprise was the PE turnbuckles. I thought these were too 2 dimensional but used them anyway. With just a dab of gold paint on each side they looked the business. This was my first Special Hobby build but I look forward to building the SH Lloyd C.V I have in my stash.
    I apologize for the crappy fotos, I tried both indoors and outdoors to take them yet they still don't show the weathering and other details (through at least you can't see the mistakes so well). I just need more light and hope to rig something up for the completed models section. Thanks to all that followed my build.
Alan

Online Dirigible-Al

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2023, 03:34:08 AM »
More
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 03:45:36 AM by Dirigible-Al »