Author Topic: Special Hobby Giveaway Fokker B.II 1/48  (Read 5321 times)

Offline Dirigible-Al

Special Hobby Giveaway Fokker B.II 1/48
« on: July 11, 2022, 05:12:30 AM »
HURRAR!!  The Special Hobby Fokker B.II has arrived.

Firstly a big thanks to Special Hobby for giving this kit to our forum and of course another big thank you to Dave for nominating me to build it and mailing it from the Gold Coast. I intend to build this as close to OTB as possible because I think it would be unfair to Special Hobby if I did something wierd with their kit (plus it would be a lot quicker to make) so no AMS. On inspection the kit appears to be well cast and crisp. There are also resin parts for the interior and a PE fret. The kit has two build options, a trainer and a fighter. I will most probably go with the trainer version because I think most people will build the fighter plus the trainer version would be a more plausible option for a diorama I plan to build. The Special Hobby Giveaway also included two tools. I have never had a razor saw but have seen them used often on other people's builds so I will be looking forward to using it. I didn't care much about the sanding stick because I have a lot of nail files in the tool box but when I saw it I was pleasantly surprised, it has four different grades of cut on it so I can see myself using this as well.

I will get started later this week, this looks like it will be an enjoyable build.

Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Special Hobby Giveaway Fokker B.II 1/48
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 08:21:19 AM »
Congratulations again Alan, I'm excited to follow along with your build! I know precious little about Fokkers other than The Big Four so I'm keen to learn as well as enjoy your model.
Zac in NZ

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 01:57:28 AM »
Cheers KiwiZac
Sorry there had been a bit of a delay, I had intended to push ahead with this but just after the last post we were hit with some really nice weather and I made the most of that. I have now done the interior and closed the fuselage halves, a milestone I enjoy getting to. I removed the detail inside the halves because this is replicated on the resin parts provided. I have on my workbench a pane of glass with various grades of sandpaper stuck to it. I used that to take off the excess resin on the two interior side walls and they then fitted fine (I broke the end off one by mistake but did not bother to repair it as it cannot be seen). Other parts were a bit fiddly but I got around this with my old trick of sticking plasticine on the side of a mug of tea so it is nearly
Iiquid then using it to hold the bits in place. It goes stiff quite quick I made some paper supports for the chair. I have a lot of shrunken pictures of dials made on a photographer, I cut a couple of them out for a couple of the dials. I will put three of the four seatbelts in later and hope I haven't given myself an impossible task for later. On seeing a couple of other builds a copper wire runs from one of the starboard dials towards the stern. I copied this on a whim but wish now I didn't because now the fuselage is closed it gives an optical illusion that the gap between the seat and the side is narrower there. I might mask this later with one of the seatbelts. Internal wires were just drawn on with a pencil and I am glad I did it that way because you can't see them now the halves are closed. All paint used was acrylics, Citadel grey and silver. Tamiya gold mixed with Citadel bronze for the tank. Wood effect was many thin layers of paint mixed with Klear. For the linen I mixed paint from about four or five different pots, my understanding of German linen is it is a bit darker and a little greyer than British and French aircraft but if I am wrong it is a bit late to change this now.
Thanks for looking in, Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 07:14:45 AM »
Excellent progress Alan, she's shaping up very nicely!

Sorry there had been a bit of a delay, I had intended to push ahead with this but just after the last post we were hit with some really nice weather and I made the most of that.
And you call yourself a modeller?!  ;D
Zac in NZ

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 11:41:56 PM »
Congrats and wow great start!!

Steve

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 01:34:01 AM »
Cheers Steve
KiwiZac - A while ago I did try to do both but never again. If you think the carpet monster is evil the grass monster is in another league! It also has some sort of arrangement with the wind monster.
Alan.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 07:48:22 AM »
KiwiZac - A while ago I did try to do both but never again. If you think the carpet monster is evil the grass monster is in another league! It also has some sort of arrangement with the wind monster.
;D Oh dear!! I'd never dream of it!
Zac in NZ

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 06:01:13 PM »
Looking great Alan!

Cheers,

BC

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 11:04:10 PM »
Excellent interior work. I look forward to the next update. Hopefully you will have Lousy Weather  :o
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FAf

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 04:33:22 AM »
Looking good! I'm awaiting mine, but there is some sort of customs related issue for the time being, so it's good to see you build yours!

/F

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 11:39:33 PM »
Thank you Brad and RAGIII and Faf for your kind words.
Faf - I hope you get yours soon, customs can be annoying as I found out a while ago after buying a low value item online which they held.
Another nice sunny day today but I got some work in. I hoped to finish the wings today and post them but I brushed the last but one layer on and the paint reacted with the layer underneath so I have had to start the painting again. My fault for letting it dry but not letting it cure.
In order to get something done I put the engine together. The kit has a nice resin cast engine which went together fine. Although I said earlier I will try and make this out the box I decided not to use the kit's PE rods because I felt it would be easier to drill 7 holes and slide 7 lengths of copper wire down them. I also added short lengths of copper wire to the spark plugs though they probably won't be seen once in the cowling. It was painted with Citadel Silver then a thin wash of Citadel gunmetal was added, then a thin wash of blackboard paint.
Thanks for looking in. Alan.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 11:54:11 PM by Dirigible-Al »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 11:59:48 PM »
Nice work!! You're shaming me into starting my forum win....

Steve

Offline DaveB

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 02:31:35 AM »
Lovely work and great start - I have thought about this kit myself from time to time so will follow with interest

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 10:57:53 AM »
Alan , you are rocking this build so far , a pleasure to follow along .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 06:38:53 AM »
A very good start Alan: I have much respect for those who can work with resin kits and parts - I do use some parts occasionally but generally I avoid the stuff. Looking forward to further progress.

Stephen.