Author Topic: A second attempt at a Nieuport  (Read 5779 times)

Offline DaddyO

A second attempt at a Nieuport
« on: June 26, 2022, 07:28:18 PM »
Following on from the Tripe I've got a couple of things on the bench at the moment.

First of these is a second attempt at Eduard's lovely little 72nd Nieuport (The first one I tried ended up being a bit of a test piece for getting to grips with modelling again so I was feeling guilty and thought I'd have another go)

For this one I've been practicing with brass for replacing the struts although I chickened out of the main ones and ended up sanding the details off these and thinning them down. Here are a few pics of progress so far.

The engine looked a bit undersize compared to pics so I wrapped the cylinders for a bit of added bulk (although most of it isn't going to be seen anyway

Cheers
Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline WD

Re: A second attempt at a Nieuport
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 11:48:33 PM »
Looks great DaddyO!  No such thing as too many Nieuports.  8)

WD

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 12:02:43 AM »

WD

Cheers WD

I obviously think the same since after this one there's still a dual boxing of the 17 version on the shelf  ;D  I may change one into the SS1 though (which was a pretty close German copy of the Nieuport  ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 05:14:51 PM by DaddyO »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 12:05:59 AM »
Nice start. Those struts in particular look good.

Steve

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 08:19:37 AM »
I agree with Steve, those struts look fantastic!

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 05:16:08 PM »
Nice start. Those struts in particular look good.

Steve

I agree with Steve, those struts look fantastic!

Thanks Kiwi & Zac  ;D

All I have to do now is build the rest of the thing up to the same standard . . .

Offline WD

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 01:51:16 AM »

WD

Cheers WD

I obviously think the same since after this one there's still a dual boxing of the 17 version on the shelf  ;D  I may change one into the SS1 though (which was a pretty close German copy of the Nieuport  ;)

At one time I believe I had the old Meikraft kit of the SS D.I, but I believe I sold it.  You should be able to pull it off.

WD

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 03:07:43 AM »
Nice work on dressing her up  :) I like the effect on the cylinders , much better !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2022, 03:15:58 AM »
Nice work on dressing her up  :) I like the effect on the cylinders , much better !

Alexis
Thanks Alexis
Bit of recent progress on this bird.

Reading through an old issue of Windsock I came across an interesting article about the way 'clear doped' fabric changed colour when the factory started adding aluminium powder to the dope given rise to a range of shades that I wouldn't have chosen (and probably explains the reference to 'sail' colour in the Eduard instructions. Anyway I mixed up something suitable in Vallejo air paint and sprayed the under surfaces. (Just for fun I used a lighter shade first and then masked off the rib positions)

If you click on the image you'll see the colour swatch I was trying to match
 Next up camo  ;D

Paul

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2022, 11:03:11 PM »
Very impressive work all around! The interior looks Fantastic as does the cut out in the upper wing. I Love the Fabric color on the lower side!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2022, 11:12:21 PM »
Very impressive work all around! The interior looks Fantastic as does the cut out in the upper wing. I Love the Fabric color on the lower side!
RAGIII

Cheers RAGIII. I've knocked the rib tapes back a bit on the lower wing with a light overspray now so it looks a bit less like paper wrapping  ;)

Not sure about the decals to cover the wing centre section, but presumably they'll look okay?

Cheers
Paul

Offline WD

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2022, 02:01:43 AM »
RAGIII

Cheers RAGIII. I've knocked the rib tapes back a bit on the lower wing with a light overspray now so it looks a bit less like paper wrapping  ;)

Not sure about the decals to cover the wing centre section, but presumably they'll look okay?

Paul,
        I've pondered a bit about those "clear" decals that are supposed to go over that center section. Not sure how I'm going to approach it, and I'm sure interested to see how you're going to do it since my Nieuport builds are what's going to get resurrected after I'm done with my current projects on the bench.
I think the rib tapes look great!  What scheme/whose crate are you recreating?

WD

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2022, 03:53:49 AM »
RAGIII

Paul,
        I've pondered a bit about those "clear" decals that are supposed to go over that center section. Not sure how I'm going to approach it, and I'm sure interested to see how you're going to do it since my Nieuport builds are what's going to get resurrected after I'm done with my current projects on the bench.
I think the rib tapes look great!  What scheme/whose crate are you recreating?

WD

Crash test dummy eh?  ;D LOL
Well I'll give em a go WD and take a pic so you can see the effect.
If they don't quite work I've got some clear mylar laying around from my Freeflight days (I suppose cellophane wrapping would be similar, but you can shrink the mylar tight after gluing in place with a bit of heat which might be useful. The trick I think is going to be disguising the edges so that it looks neat. I'll try the decals first and then use one of the spare wings to see what else I have that might work.

I eventually chose Adjudant Pierre Penderies because I wanted one that wasn't an obvious choice and thought the camo finish looked a bit different on a Nieuport. I'll probably do a silver one to keep it company at some point.
Although there's a nice piece of etch for the Lewis support I've ordered some very fine brass wire which I'll try instead first (My record with folding etched brass is quite poor) :P

I'm just waiting for the top to dry after spraying the green/brown. Brown looking a bit dark, but I should be able to pull it back with some careful weathering. There's also a bit of touching up needed which is a nuisance, but there you go.

Cheers
Paul

ps - Anyone have a good match for the French blue colour used on the decals for touching up?

Offline WD

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2022, 09:14:55 AM »

The trick I think is going to be disguising the edges so that it looks neat.
[/quote]

Aye, there's the rub.

The blue used on the center of French roundels was a nice, dark ultramarine (not that "powder blue" you see used for some roundel centers from other manufacturers) while the blue used for outlining was closer, at least from what I remember people posting about a match years ago, to the paint used to paint French Adrian helmets and other equipment when they went over to horizon blue for their uniforms.

Bottom line: it doesn't have to be an exact match since it wasn't then.

Just my two kopecks,

WD

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 03:51:16 PM »
Okay slight hiccup in the progress on this one  :-[

Added the kit decals and was trying to decide how best to make the very light blue a bit darker and I spotted that the red outer ring had a slight misprint (Looks like there is a double print of the red for density and one layer was out of line) Difficult to see in photos, but much more apparent to the naked eye especially on the camouflaged surface)
No problem I thought I'll whip them off since they'd only been on a few hours. Tried softening with water, then micro sol and even tried pulling them off with masking and scotch tape, but apart from some slight damage they were down for good  ???

I eventually resorted to scraping with the inevitable damage to the paint. When I'd stopped weeping and swearing I looked at the top wing and decided it would be better to start afresh with the spare one from the box so that's what I'll be up to for the next few days . . .

I also tried the transparent decals for the centre section without any success.

All in all a bit of a hiccup  :P
Paul