Author Topic: This getting old thing....  (Read 2701 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: This getting old thing....
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2022, 08:44:24 AM »
Thanks, I'm feeling better every day. Summer weather helps too.

Steve

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2022, 04:10:03 PM »
Steve, I am feeling with you - and all of us here! Every now and then parts of my body start to hurt me, but still I am lucky, as either its getting better after a while, or I am getting accustomed to it. What helps me suppressing depression is slipping into good memories, like me as a boy modeling together with two mates of mine (both gone west long ago) on a rainy day, listening to The Beatles from my cassette-recorder and my mother coming down the stairs, inviting us boys to some sandwiches… I then feel good. The only thing I am afraid of is dementia getting me sone day…

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2022, 10:02:23 PM »
Ah yes  - nostalgia aint what it used to be ;) Music plays a big part in my life. Pink Floyd was the band of my youth and then a 180 degree turn to the Pistols and Stranglers (then back again). Music gets me through a lot. My struggle is with life related math - my good friend Ron Lowry, a father figure and mentor, was a fit 72+ years old who suddenly got very ill and was gone before he was 74. The math - I have 11 years....As much as I try to avoid that type of calculation it comes up more and more. All we can do is enjoy the moment I suppose. As I look at our 14 year old cat I kind of envy not knowing your own mortality....k happy thoughts - going to work on a model today!!

Steve

Offline ermeio

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2022, 02:12:45 AM »
Sorry to hear about that - all of us are getting old and yes, eyes are one of those parts that are most useful and most prone to fail early.

Have a speedy way back to health
er me

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2022, 12:29:09 PM »
So I hit the big four-oh last year (ok, it was a big deal for me) and it got me thinking of the same things that rhwinter talks about.

Firstly, I wondered where the last 10 years had gone (certainly not prolifically building models, that's for sure), and secondly, it made me think about the good times I had back in the 90s as a kid just building for fun. I went and searched out and bought a few of the kits that I remember particularly fondly. Some I remember building with (likewise) a good friend of mine. I now have these kits out on display in my nerd-cave. I did the same with some of the modelling magazines I used to own. I see them and indeed it reminds me of simpler times. It makes me feel good.

So I know that even when my hands fail, or my eyesight diminishes, that i'll at least still be able to look at or think of these things, and reflect on how much models and the act of simply creating something has been so rewarding over my lifetime.

Now, time to just sit in the nerd-cave and reflect...  ;D

(PS - if you want to see some of the things I am talking about that are particularly special to me, see here - https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11373.0)

Cheers,

BC 

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2022, 06:51:42 AM »
Great news Steve! I'm so pleased for you!

Still can't go to fighter pilot school though....unless the bad guys agree to only attack from the right.
Get into flying warbirds and they'll make that happen  8)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2022, 12:02:51 PM »
Steve,
    IIRC you were a ground Controller at Pearson? If that's the case the Fighter Pilot School you mention would be a breeze! ( and you're right, they always come from the right!) Hang in there and believe me when I say "you ain't done yet!" I have a really good friend here who used to fly 104's and had a stroke 8 years back, he never stopped modelling despite the unremarkable results and last weekend had a sneezing fit after which he realized he had recovered feeling in his right leg and hand after all of that time ...... never give up!

Cheers,
Lance

A brief update - no kidney damage, clean bill of colon health and the eye pressure is down enough to require only one trip to Toronto a month. Still can't go to fighter pilot school though....unless the bad guys agree to only attack from the right.

Steve

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2022, 06:44:43 AM »
Wow!! I'm going to start sneezing!!

Steve

Offline WD

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2022, 06:39:23 AM »
Steve,
          Just now saw this and I want to extend my sympathies. I hit 61 this year, and I'm really feeling it, especially in my teaching field (teaching kids how to operate heavy equipment). I hope things continue to improve for you. You're right, getting old isn't for sissies.

WD

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2022, 12:59:04 AM »
I turned 62 in January, but sometimes I feel like 82.

I work in a service department for healthcare workers. They can call with problems about programs, iPads, smartphones, printers. The average age of my colleagues is 31. I spend most of the day on the phone. People are constantly queuing, so there is never a moment of rest. Every day I run into the fact that I can't keep up with technical developments. It's all getting too complicated for me, everything has to be done quickly and it's very busy.

If all goes well, I will soon have a new position within the same company with less stress and colleagues my own age.

Due to a late diagnosis of neglected bronchitis, I am now a COPD patient. I suffer from atrial fibrillation, high blood pressure and I wear hearing aids. Luckily my eyes don't bother me much. I've had the same perscription for my lenses for years.

Some days I suffer from osteoarthritis more than other days, but it is especially annoying in the fingers.

I consider myself lucky that I can still use them though  :D

In March 2021 I contracted Covid 19. Although I have not been very ill in that time, I still experience the consequences in the form of Long COVID. It affects my stamina, memory and concentration. But those are also things you learn to live with.
Unfortunately, my wife Karin suffered a stroke in October 2021, which has turned our world upside down again. Fortunately she is back home and can handle herself well if I work at the office 2 days a week, but she still needs a lot of help with certain things. She is paralyzed on the left side, but she can walk short distances with aids. Unfortunately she can no longer use her arm, but she manages well and is admirably positive.

So, I am now a provider, carer and maid. I actually have three jobs, pity I just get payed for one...  ;)

I have to keep a lot of balls in the air, but I get used to that too. The only thing is that some nights I am so tired, a fall asleep on the couch at 9.

With all that is going on in the world around us, I sometimes feel the need to retreat to my man cave, where I keep my 80's stereo set (still working brilliantly by the way), old vinyl records, my cd's, my books, modeling tools and kit stash.

Surrounded by good memories and listening to the music that I played as a dj from my 22nd to my 26th. It was the age of punk, new wave and synthesizer music. I still have most of it on vinyl, mostly on 12” singles. Simpleminds, U2, Ultravox, XTC (the band), New Order, but also Randy Newman, Ry Cooder and Tod Rundgren. Indeed, from present day's perspective, everything was simple.

In that respect I am completely emphatic to what Brad posted.

To sum it all up, although our health is not 100%, we are (mostly) in good spirits, and we enjoy every day we can spend together. We just keep plodding on, one day at the time.

Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield.

Chest out, chin up!

Willem
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 08:28:45 AM by Rookie »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2022, 07:53:04 AM »
To sum it all up, although our health is not 100%, we are (mostly) in good spirits, and we enjoy every day we can spend together. We just keep plodding on, one day at the time.

Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield.
That sums it all up rather nicely  :)

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2022, 09:59:02 AM »
Hang in Rookie!!  I will too. No need to mention its XTC the band, Andy Partridge and company have long been a favourite - smart lyrics!!

Steve