Author Topic: Missing in action  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Stuart Malone

Missing in action
« on: June 24, 2022, 04:36:36 AM »
Fellow modelers,

I haven't been able to participate as much as I would like the past six weeks.  My father had quadruple bypass surgery.  He is the care giver for my mother.  My sister who lives 200 miles east of them and myself, living 200 miles south of them, have had to do some planning and coordination to be there to take care of both of them.  With a lot of sympathy and empathy for both our parents through the surgery, hospitalization, pacemaker, afib zap, special care, we got my father back home.  He's been on quite the journey but is now almost back to normal.

During this, I took a break from my usual 1/72 WWI aircraft to do two sci-fi models, one of them is part of a group build, the other for my son's armada of Star Wars ships.  I started them mainly so I had something to take my mind off everything going on.  Just a little bit of escapism a couple of nights a week.

I have been watching the in progress and finished builds, and to all who have posted during the month of May, they all were quite calming for me.  I took great pleasure in seeing your work.  Wonderful stuff, thank you for posting.

Stuart Malone

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Missing in action
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 09:49:04 PM »
Glad your father is on the mend. Make sure you take care of yourself too. Sounds like therapy is at hand ;)

Steve

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 10:09:18 PM »
Hi Stuart

It's good to hear your father's health is improving and I agree with Steve, you need to take care of yourself too. Model making is splendid therapy!

best regards

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 10:59:38 PM »
Nice to see you back again Stuart

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 09:10:30 AM »
I can only echo what the others have said, Stuart - in fact I must have become part of the mod team after your father's surgery, so that explains why I'd not seen much of you.

I'm glad to hear things are working out for your father and that you have some self-care for yourself sorted. This Star Wars fan is quietly in awe of anyone who can paint models from that Galaxy!

Offline WD

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 12:13:28 AM »
Stuart,
           So sorry you're having to go through this. Been there, done that with both of my parents in my early/mid-20's, and now SWMBO and I are having to do it with her folks. It isn't easy, and the caretakers such as you and your sister often get the short end. Take care of yourself mentally and physically, but you already know that. I'll keep y'all in my prayers.

WD

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 07:09:05 AM »
Thank you all.  It's much appreciated.  My sister made her last trip to Des Moines, IA this past weekend.  She's moved out of her house, so will be living at my parents' house until she finds one to buy in Lincoln, NE where my parents are living.  So, I will be able to stay home over the long Independence Day weekend.  I may get to spend some time at the bench!

Stuart Malone

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 03:06:08 AM »
Stuart,

This forum is definitely a therapeutic  place. I have not been able to do a lot of work on my model I was encouraged by all the beautiful build logs and the respect and helpfulness by the members of this forum.

Since December last year my workspace had to make room for a hospitalbed. My wife suffered a stroke and has since been unable to get upstairs. Things are getting better and she's able to move around the house (downstairs at least) and within a few weeks a stair lift will be installed so everything will be back to some sence of normality.

Even though it isn't always easy it is also very rewarding that we can be there for our loved ones.

After all, it's "for better and for worse" isn't it?  :)

Willem

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 04:37:43 AM »
Sorry to read of your father's illness Stuart, but pleased to read that he is making a good recovery - I hope it continues.

As others have written, many of us have been in a similar position with close members of our families - in my case many years ago, but I was away form modelling at the time. However any form of distraction is essential to allow you to maintain a sense of proportion and give you a mental break. Looking after yourself is the first priority when looking after others - otherwise you will become a casualty too.

Looking forward to your return to the forum when time and energy allow.

Stephen.

Offline WD

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 11:47:33 PM »
After all, it's "for better and for worse" isn't it?  :)

Exactly. I haven't been able to make much time for the bench in over ten years. On my current build, someone said they couldn't understand why I couldn't make progress on it over the last few years. What he didn't know was that my wife, who started to have some serious health issues ten years ago or more, was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2015. Doctor said she'd had it for over 20 years, and that she had lesions all up and down her spine and on her brain. Ever since then, I lose a little piece of her here and there each month. One day I'll come home from work and she'll be laying the floor and will only be able to blink her eyes. With that in mind, I try to grab every moment I can with her. I have returned to the modeling bench this year, because I have to take care of my mental health too.

WD