Author Topic: This getting old thing....  (Read 2702 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
This getting old thing....
« on: May 22, 2022, 11:49:45 PM »
Getting old sure isn't for sissies!! Lets see....after a failed eye surgery I went in for another more invasive procedure - all done with only local anesthetic - in which a surgical tube was implanted to reduce eye pressure. Various drops and pills followed for six weeks with follow up appointments an hour and half from home every week. As of two weeks ago pressure hadn't reduced much so to encourage the process the suture was removed - again with just freezing drops prior to - forceps, tweezers and a hook to remove the stitch. Before starting the doctor said " The eye is very vascular right now" which meant - the initial incision resulted in so much bleeding she couldn't see the suture...didn't matter I passed out.....She had to wait then, when I felt up to it, complete the procedure. Anyone's legs jelly or sqwidgy yet? All of this to maintain about 10% vision in my left eye. To top it off the pills I was taking gave me a kidney stone which had me in pain til I passed it. This Friday coming up - colonoscopy - if it's not one end it's the other.......

Steve
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 10:02:42 AM by pepperman42 »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: This getting old thing....
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 07:17:15 AM »
When I turn 35 in August and my wife weeps at how "old" I am, I'll show her this. I really feel for you Steve, what a series of awfulness!

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 09:55:16 AM »
Steve

If it helps, I cringed when I read your post so your writing rather accurately conveyed how you feel about these procedures.

You have my complete and total sympathy. As one who is also currently a work in progress by various hospital folk practicing medical procedures they learnt on YouTube or Google ( it feels like it some days) I completely sympathise with you.

So I go to the model bench to seek solace in the comfort of starting a new build... and a small part immediately pings off the bench on to the floor, never to be seen again.

best wishes for your recovery!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 10:04:47 AM »
Thanks KZ and Dave, that part will reappear when you least expect it.

Steve

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 04:15:28 PM »
Wish you all the best for your recovery.
Giuseppe

Offline macsporran

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 06:14:57 PM »
You sail along oblivious don't you, until you reach a certain age - and then everything starts to fall to bits. Eyesight, stamina, bladder, muscle tone, sex, indeed anything physical.
As Shakespeare says in the Seven Ages speech-
  - sans eyes, sans teeth, sans everything.
Still it's better than the alternative.
Sandy

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 08:04:11 PM »
Steve,

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems.

There is a saying: "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug". There seems to be a lot of "bug" going on in your life right lately.

And especially, when our hobby, that we need to forget all the troubles that we face on a daily basis, is impeded by physical discomforts, it strikes a hard blow.

I wish you well!

Willem

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 11:30:38 PM »
    Well Steve, I gotta say your present load of health problems certainly exceeds mine, and I gather from other's comments here I'm no worse off then the rest of the pack! I've frankly been feeling sorry for myself recently, as a good friend once stated, "I'm running short of usable body parts"! Sharing our problems is good therapy such as here, and if nothing else is helpful to ward off depression. I completely agree with Sandy, despite the hassle, pain, and just plain frustration with the inevitable it beats the hell out of the alternative! I lost a very close friend of some 40 years this past Monday and though it hurts I feel very fortunate to be the lucky one, it's all relative.
     These things seem to ebb and flow of their own volition but the intervals between are not so bad. I hope your bad "run" is near finished for a good long time and recovery is fast.
All the best and hang in there!
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2022, 05:34:44 AM »
Steve, all the best for a speedy recovery on this one problem and no new ones on the other side!
With 10% on the eye I guess you lost the 3D view? That is a terrible imagination ...

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 07:50:04 AM »
As my late, (disabled), father used to say: "Old age never comes alone".

Like you Steve, I am beginning to feel my age in all sorts of ways, but so far I have been spared experiences like yours. I hope that things will improve in the near and longer term, and that you will be able to enjoy better health. In the meantime try to follow Dave's advice and enjoy as much as you can of your hobby: at least it will distract you even for short periods.

Stephen.

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 10:50:15 PM »
Thanks all, and yes Frank depth perception has become a challenge. Being left handed and my left eye being the damaged one makes things interesting. Only the other day I was putting a general colour coat on a fairly large part and I was wondering, as I steadied it with my right hand, why the paint wasn't laying down. Oh it was laying down just fine and I have the RLM 76 light blue right thumb nail to prove it. That AK Real paint is tough!!! No more 3D movies and those 3D images in the Fokker Dr1 book are now worthless...all well the rest of the book is awesome...always look on the bright side of life (whistle here)

Steve   

Offline DeLano80

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2022, 10:21:30 AM »
My eyes suck and my hands shake  :'(

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2022, 11:18:49 PM »
A brief update - no kidney damage, clean bill of colon health and the eye pressure is down enough to require only one trip to Toronto a month. Still can't go to fighter pilot school though....unless the bad guys agree to only attack from the right.

Steve

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2022, 06:28:47 AM »
Hi Steve - getting old is one of those things that I am thankful for - I can say 'at least I made it this far...' (and then adding... 'now I can't get out of this chair...').  My mother had exactly the same eye surgery as you, so I know what you're talking about and how distressing it can be. Great to hear the eye pressure is at least manageable now.

Cheers,

BC

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2022, 08:39:14 AM »
A brief update - no kidney damage, clean bill of colon health and the eye pressure is down enough to require only one trip to Toronto a month. Still can't go to fighter pilot school though....unless the bad guys agree to only attack from the right.

Steve

That is great news, Steve!
Keep on keeping on  ;)

Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith