Author Topic: LVA Fokker D.VII from Wingnut Wings  (Read 27305 times)

Offline IvotB

Re: LVA Fokker D.VII from Wingnut Wings
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2013, 07:41:18 AM »
Haven't started with the tires yet. But the light pin wash is the first method I am going to try as it seems less destructive as my idea.

Some small last items before it is finished:

Rigging between the stabiliser and the fin.

Finally I could connect the control cables for the ailerons. It is not easy to connect the two correctly, but this one is reasonable. On the other side one wire just doesn't want to stay where it belongs.

Then finally I had to do the prop. I have been thinking of an easy way to mark the different laminations, but I just didn't find an easy way. In the end I used the milling machine again and used the accuracy of the compound table:

I clamped the propeller in the table and decided to scratch the propellor from the centre to the tip with 0,65mm in between with which I would achieve 7 laminations that I counted on pictures.

This is what it looks like after scratching. It looks more dramatic than it is due to the enlargement in the picture. After that I started working with pencils to fill in the layers and trying to sketch some woodgrain into it. I used  Faber-Castell Polychromos color pencils.

I don't like the colors yet and the contrast maybe too much, but the layers are correct, especially when checked from the side.

The colors will improve when there are a number of layers of clear cote on top.

I am open to suggestions (apart from scrapping this prop and buying a laminated wooden prop, which ofcourse is another solution  ;) )

regards,
Ivo

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2013, 08:28:12 AM »
Ivo,

Impressive!

I think your prop looks pretty good as it is actually.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2013, 12:05:28 PM »
Ivo , that's exactly how I marked my Alby prop, except I chucked up a sewing needle, and just kind of barely scratched the base coat, worked pretty well..

Offline IvotB

« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2013, 09:23:08 PM »
A sewing needle! Once again a good and simple suggestion to be reminded. I tried to fit an exacto blade, which didn't work, I considered clamping in a 0,5mm pencil lead, but in the end I just used a small milling bit.

Next time I'll use a sewing needle of which I have an ample supply now after the tip with the clipped needle for CA glue.

Now I am going for Tamiya clear orange, although the color frightens me a bit. I don't want an orange propellor. I did think I was missing some reddish tint, but orange may do the trick. I hope the Tamiya will set nicely on the pencils and Humbrol base.
I tried to fill in the lighter parts with an orange pencil, but that color didn't appeal to me there.

regards,
Ivo

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2013, 11:36:21 PM »
Interesting and effective process. Im looking forward to the next update.

Steve

Offline mgunns

« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2013, 12:33:20 AM »
Hello Ivo:

I think your prop looks fine.  I like your method of marking it as well.  As someone mentioned, a coat of Tamiya clear Orange and you can call it good.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline IvotB

« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2013, 12:44:17 AM »
Well, I do have now Tamiya clear orange and Tamiya clear yellow (somewhere I read about using clear yellow, although I'll have a go with orange first).

I liked these colors from Bo:

Maybe orange will achieve this.

I also liked the colors realised with a Humbrol light wood covered with burnt omber oils, but that will be difficult here.

regards,
Ivo

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2013, 12:45:31 PM »
yup, that's clear orange over desert yellow base and assorted brown and red colored pencil

cheers

Offline IvotB

« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2013, 11:20:34 PM »
Well, Red Baron, Tamiya clear orange did the trick.

Last night was spent to draw the laminations on the second front and backsides of the prop. Then a cote of clear orange was sprayed and I am satisfied with the result:

In today's feeble sun light

In the shadow

And on the back.

Now on with some more details and the D.VII will be finished.

regards,
Ivo
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:28:27 PM by IvotB »

Offline michael

« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2013, 11:41:21 PM »
Brilliant work on the prop Ivo, bet your pleased with that !

michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2013, 03:26:31 AM »
Looks great, well done

Offline mgunns

« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2013, 05:00:52 AM »
Prop turned out great Ivo.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Todd Holaday

« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2013, 07:04:42 AM »
I like the milling machine idea for scribing the lamination lines.  I don't have one, but it gave an idea for clamping the prop on my drafting table and floating my pencil over it.  Thanks for the idea.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2013, 08:32:23 AM »
  Ivo,
Absolutely brilliant technique for scribing your laminations my friend. The end product is one outstanding prop. Honestly if I hadn't known this was the kit supplied prop it could have easily been misatken for an aftermarket wooden prop. Well Done!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline IvotB

« Reply #149 on: March 01, 2013, 09:35:28 AM »
Thanks a lot for the compliments on the prop. I more or less followed your suggestions and decided to try a little extra technique.

More small detailling:

Prop nut (nonsense to paint by the way, because this side will be completely hidden)

And the general impression. Finally the filling cap is located on the radiator too and given some brass paint.

Perhaps a question. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the WNW manual, but I painted the filling tube and support LVA khaki, just like the radiator housing itself. It could have been another color like black for instance, but I see no mention of another color.

Started working on the wheel texts too. These are the first steps: letters marked with white and corrections painted around in tire color. Now next step is the pin wash:

regards,
Ivo