Author Topic: Fokker Triplane Orlik 1/33rd Scale  (Read 9987 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Fokker Triplane Orlik 1/33rd Scale
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2022, 10:19:55 AM »
Wonderful stuff Dan , man she looks really good !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2022, 01:58:51 PM »
Thanks Zac and Alexis!  You guys looking at the progress really helps this along.

Today I finished the wheels and I also repositioned the rear landing gear legs further back under the wing.  I think the angle between the legs is much better.  As designed in the model, it just seems funny and pinched.  Now, it looks more like the real machine.

Next will be lots of little details like gun butt pads, cockpit edging, foot steps, rigging and control cables.  I also need to still add at least one cross member in the cockpit and also a gauge on the top forward fuselage between the guns.  The last thing will be the engine. I want to make it spin so that will be fun.  I'll also try to use the kit prop, but I have a nice plastic one if it doesn't turn out looking nice.

Thanks for looking,
Dan

Offline Radarman

« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2022, 11:47:48 PM »
Hello Dan,
I'm glad you made it over to this side of the Narrows" for a day. Funny thing, I was over on your side at "Skyway" wondering if
I'd run in to you. Anyway, I think you've got the angel of the landing gear struts just right. On paper it looks like this plane might fly.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2022, 03:30:57 AM »
That gear position looks right to my eye, well done Dan!
TThe last thing will be the engine. I want to make it spin so that will be fun.
When I build a model of a rotary-powered machine I like the engine to spin so 1) I can show people why they're called rotaries and b) it's a lot more fun to play with  ;D

« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2022, 07:11:30 AM »
When I build a model of a rotary-powered machine I like the engine to spin so 1) I can show people why they're called rotaries and b) it's a lot more fun to play with  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2022, 08:47:06 AM »
All,
Here's the beginning of the engine.  More to go, but you get the idea!

Thanks for looking...Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2022, 02:21:01 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D , do you make the engine noise as well Zac ? ....I do .... ;)

Really nice start on the rotary Dan !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2022, 04:26:19 PM »
Thanks, Alexis.  Much appreciated.

I got the main parts done.  I still need to add the spark plugs, wires and some fiddly bits on the ends but it looks cool and spins like a top. I also tried an experiment using some flexible, brown plastic tubing folks use for tying flies when fishing for the intakes.  They look fine and were easy to install.

Making rotary engine noises right now...
Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2022, 02:42:37 AM »
Great work Dan! It looks repetitive but rewarding.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D , do you make the engine noise as well Zac ? ....I do .... ;)
Of course!  ;D 8)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2022, 04:41:20 AM »
The engine looks great Dan. I am still amazed that parts like this come from a flat printed piece of card
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2022, 03:39:00 PM »
Thanks Zac and Rick!

Here is the next to last post.  I got the engine and cowling on and the engine does spin...just not as freely as I'd have liked.  It was just too close to the inner cowling if all the little valve bits were added but it still looks nice.  I also added some details like the rigging, aileron cables, wing skids and the plastic prop I painted to look like laminated wood.  Finally, I got the gun butt pads installed too.  Those have been bugging me for a while.

Lots of little things to do as far as final details, but the finish line is really close.

More soon in the completed section...Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2022, 01:15:26 AM »
Your DR1 is Fabulous Dan! That prop is gorgeous! I am really looking forward to the "Final" post
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2022, 01:33:57 PM »
Really outstanding Dan and like Rick , looking forward to the final pic's of this beauty !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline PetworthPilot

« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2022, 02:58:05 PM »
Dan, your work and videos of your work on YouTube are joys to watch. Thanks for shooting and sharing.
Fan of scale models either static, RC, or rubber powered.

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2022, 08:18:24 AM »
Super build Dan!  I just found this and read it through the entirety.  Ii May just have to try one of these paper kits.  What would you suggest for a beginner WWI build?