Author Topic: Fokker Triplane Orlik 1/33rd Scale  (Read 10270 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Fokker Triplane Orlik 1/33rd Scale
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2022, 02:21:41 AM »
Marvellous work Dan, I look forward to seeing the new and improved MG mounts.
Zac in NZ

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2022, 10:25:19 AM »
Wow Dan , this one is turning out to be very impressive so far .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2022, 03:21:48 PM »
Thank you, Zac and Alexis!  Just trying to emulate the great models seen here on a daily basis.  :)

Only a tiny update.  I got the stab struts completed and installed the tail skid.  Next I WILL start the machine guns.  ;D

Dan

Online RAGIII

« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2022, 12:19:07 AM »
The skid and struts look great in place Dan. I must comment again on how much I love the streaking!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2022, 04:41:54 AM »
Thanks, Rick...I must say the streaking turned out better than I expected.  I saw a Meng 1/24th Triplane write-up where the fellow used decals for the streaking that looked great!  But I was pleased that my painting job looked dang close.  I'll use this method again!

Cheers,
Dan

Online RAGIII

« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2022, 06:51:52 AM »
Thanks, Rick...I must say the streaking turned out better than I expected.  I saw a Meng 1/24th Triplane write-up where the fellow used decals for the streaking that looked great!  But I was pleased that my painting job looked dang close.  I'll use this method again!

Cheers,
Dan

Feel Free to add photos and description of your process in the Fokker Streaking, Show us your Method thread in the Hints and tips section  ;D
RAGIII

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2022, 03:57:04 AM »
Thank you, Zac and Alexis!  Just trying to emulate the great models seen here on a daily basis.  :)
I daresay she'd fit in perfectly with photos of 1/32 injected kits and that many folk will be hard-pressed to tell the difference!
Zac in NZ

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2022, 10:50:02 PM »
Looking just wonderful, Dan!  Looking forward to the finished Dreidecker.

Rick, check out Dan’s YouTube build videos on this project for a detailed demonstration of his Fokker streaking.  It’s really good, and you can see it happening!  I think there’s a link earlier in this thread.

Best regards,

Bob

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2022, 03:55:20 PM »
Thank you Rick, Zac and Bob!  Really made some headway today...

I tried making the guns with the paper jackets and attempted to slot them.  It was ok, but the rest of the plane is turning out so nicely, I figured I'd splurge and use photo-etch from an old WNW kit.  I do like the look of actually seeing the cooling part of the cooling jackets!  Kind of cheating, but I won't tell anyone.

I also reconfigured the ammo feeds as they were very simplified and totally inaccurate in the kit.  Mine are not perfect either, but a bit closer to the real thing.  I still need to add a cross member under the gun butts and add the gun butt pads as well.  The paper gun breaches and components looks great with some black paint and a bit o' dry brushing with silver.

I was sort of on a roll, I'd been test fitting the top wing on the I-struts and just committed some glue et voila!  Top wing is partially on and dang if it isn't straight.  I've never put a plastic triplane together that came out this straight on the first go.  Double dang.  Next hurdle will be the cabanes which I hope will go together with little drama.

Cool beans.  Man...this is a nice model and does look every inch a
Fokker Dr. I.  My complements to the designer!

Dan

Offline Radarman

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2022, 12:01:47 AM »
Dan,
That's a very impressive looking Tri-plane. You'll soon have this one finished; what could be next?

Kevin (Some where between the GH and the PO) 
We are all victims of history!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2022, 02:18:35 AM »
I figured I'd splurge and use photo-etch from an old WNW kit.  I do like the look of actually seeing the cooling part of the cooling jackets!  Kind of cheating, but I won't tell anyone.
Dan, by that rationale using PE, resin or vac parts on an injected kit is cheating! I think you're totally justified  8)
Zac in NZ

Online RAGIII

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2022, 04:31:58 AM »
The Spandaus look great !  With the upper wing in place it really looks awesome!
RAGIII

« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2022, 05:56:01 AM »
Thanks Kevin, Zac and Rick!

Zac:  I'm not losing any sleep over it!  I agree with you.  I was just going for some purity but what the heck?  Looks much nicer this way.

Kevin:  I was out in PO yesterday with my daughter looking for motorcycle helmets.  She wants her bike endorsement.  We ate at a taco/bar place overlooking the base and water right by the foot ferry.  Beautiful day for it.  Plus...we stopped at a chocolate shop and got some goodies.  You live in a fun place!

Now on to the Dr. I!

I got the cabanes and subwing with associated landing gear struts installed.  I may work on the wheels/tires today.  Or do a bit of rigging.  Almost there.  Only huge thing left is the ol' engine!

Dan

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2022, 03:57:47 PM »
Got a bit more done.  The tires/wheels are part paper and part sandwiched balsa.  I tried painting the typical Fokker swirl with some success.  I may redo those.  We'll see.  Looks nice on it's own wheels.  The cowling is just tacked on so we can see the overall look.  My only concern now is that I think the landing gear leg attachments to the lower fuselage are too close together.  The angle made by those and the subwing look too acute. 

Oh well...maybe next time.  Overall, looking nice.  Some bits of rigging next and then the engine and a couple of details and she'll be done.

Cheers,
Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2022, 03:04:46 AM »
She's looking great Dan! Being unfamiliar with paper/card kits (the below aside) I'm curious to see how you tackle the whirly noisy bit.

Zac:  I'm not losing any sleep over it!  I agree with you.  I was just going for some purity but what the heck?  Looks much nicer this way.
My thinking exactly - make it Look Good! 8)
Zac in NZ