Author Topic: Absence  (Read 3002 times)

Offline WD

Re: Absence
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2021, 04:47:45 AM »
Such sad, terrible news, I just now saw this. My prayers and best wishes for your wife, and for you as her caregiver.

WD

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2022, 06:25:20 AM »
Hello dear friends,

Here’s a little update.

First of all, thank you all for your kind, warm words and sympathy. They are very much appreciated. As time progresses, we slowly accept and adapt to the things as they are now. Lives can change in a mere second and turn your world upside down. We have learned that much.

I'm happy to tell that Karin was discharged from the care center on January 6th.

In the last weeks there, together with the physiotherapists we have learned and practiced persistently to walk with a four-legged cane. She even learned to walk a flight of steps! Sadly, her left arm still isn’t functioning at all, but Karin is dealing with all of this admirably well. Happily, her cognitive functioning has not been affected and her speech is normal again.

So, just before she returned home I moved furniture around, sold some and bought some new and we had a banister installed on the right hand side of our stairs. Progress is slow but steady, and we have good hopes that she can move around in the house on her own in the months to come. Fortunately I can work from home, so that is reassuring.

When she is able to get upstairs, we can return the rental hospital bed, which is now halfway between the living room and the kitchen. Once it’s gone, the table where I worked on can be put back again, and I’ll be able to slowly pick up working on the V/1500 again, although time will be limited obviously, because there are still a lot of things she needs help with.

And although I am now provider, carer and domestic help, I’m glad we can be together again and we will be back to some kind of “normal”.

Willem
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 04:26:48 PM by Rookie »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2022, 05:57:12 AM »
Willem

This is really good news which I am very happy to read. Healing is a process not an event so clearly things will take time to heal and for you both to adjust to the new "normal." Incremental progress is always better than none at all: I for one will be willing Karin on.

You will both be in my thoughts in future and be assured I will be ready to read about progress on your V 1500 when you are ready to start again.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2022, 03:30:39 AM »
Willem, I'd like to echo Stephen's thoughts. As excited as I am to see the V/1500 progress I'm far happier to hear of Karin's progress and imminent return home. That's wonderful news! All my best from NZ :D

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2022, 05:33:07 PM »
I’m so glad we can be together again and we will be back to some kind of “normal”.

Hi Willem,

I'm happy for you too, and also happy for Karin's recovery, even if slow, if it's going in the right direction that's good news! :)

Jeroen

Offline DaveB

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2022, 07:46:07 PM »
Hello, Willem -

Good news - pleased to see you have some kind of normal back.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2022, 08:46:17 PM »
Good news Willem, I feel really happy for you both and wish a safe path towards an acceptable "normality" as fast as possible