Author Topic: WNW DH2: J.T.B. McCudden 29 Squadron: Plus Albatros  (Read 29819 times)

Bughunter

Re: WNW DH2: J.T.B. McCudden 29 Squadron
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2021, 03:28:23 AM »
You are working hard to convert a WNW kit into a nice model!

If you need good drill I can recommend micro drills with cobalt. Cobalt makes them a bit flexible so they are breaking not that fast as normal ones.
Only the price is higher, but I found some unused older sets down to 0.22mm a while ago.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2021, 07:36:58 AM »
You are working hard to convert a WNW kit into a nice model!

If you need good drill I can recommend micro drills with cobalt. Cobalt makes them a bit flexible so they are breaking not that fast as normal ones.
Only the price is higher, but I found some unused older sets down to 0.22mm a while ago.

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks Frank. I will keep the info on Drill Bits in Mund! So a small update. Painting and weathering has begun on the interior. My Lousy photo doesn't show it all  :-[
RAGIII

"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2021, 09:47:38 PM »
I, too have found that the camera hides weathering, but shows the mistakes in glaring clarity!  I like the tonal variation on your inside surfaces.  Some paint chipping should look awesome.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2021, 11:49:32 PM »
The subtle colour shades look beautiful Rick. I absolutely love these pushers. I have the Roden version and I am already taking notes.

Take your time Rick, and this will be another great addition to your already great collection.

Willem

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2021, 01:32:11 AM »
Nice choice, D.H.2 is one of my favourite WWI subjects, the top one for a long time. Looking forward to another great build.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2021, 06:41:53 AM »
I, too have found that the camera hides weathering, but shows the mistakes in glaring clarity!  I like the tonal variation on your inside surfaces.  Some paint chipping should look awesome.

Thanks for the comments Ken. Your comment about showing the errors made Me take another look  ;D I noticed that the mold release sink holes that I thought were out of sight were in fact visible:
RAGIII

So I went back and filed and sanded:

.....then a re-paint:

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2021, 06:43:20 AM »
The subtle colour shades look beautiful Rick. I absolutely love these pushers. I have the Roden version and I am already taking notes.

Take your time Rick, and this will be another great addition to your already great collection.

Willem

Thanks Willem! I will go as slow as I can  :o
RAGIII

Nice choice, D.H.2 is one of my favourite WWI subjects, the top one for a long time. Looking forward to another great build.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe!
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2021, 08:06:11 AM »
Ah with those sink holes filled that looks much better Rick - ie up to your usual standard.

PS funny how lots of people suddenly like pushers - but we do not seem to see many on this forum!

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2021, 11:52:50 PM »
Ah with those sink holes filled that looks much better Rick - ie up to your usual standard.

PS funny how lots of people suddenly like pushers - but we do not seem to see many on this forum!

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen. I have to admit that it does look better  ;D
RAGIII

Offline FAf

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2021, 07:25:13 PM »
Thanks for the comments Ken. Your comment about showing the errors made Me take another look  ;D I noticed that the mold release sink holes that I thought were out of sight were in fact visible:
RAGIII

So I went back and filed and sanded...

Isn't it great how good this will make you feel whenever you look back on this model from now on?! A small thing but oh so important.

Take care!
Fredrik

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2021, 10:10:24 PM »
Hi Rick
When I made the comment, I didn't mean to imply that you had errors in your build - it was just a general comment while thinking about my past builds!
Anyway, take pride in the fact that you have gone back and improved your model.

On another subject, I used a soldering iron to tighten up some monofilament rigging.  Worked well, but I had to turn the heat up to full power.  Don't touch the rigging! but get the iron close.  Thanks for the info.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2021, 02:49:18 AM »
RAGIII

So I went back and filed and sanded...

Isn't it great how good this will make you feel whenever you look back on this model from now on?! A small thing but oh so important.

Take care!
Fredrik

I do in Fact feel better about fixing the sink Holes   8)
RAGIII

Hi Rick
When I made the comment, I didn't mean to imply that you had errors in your build - it was just a general comment while thinking about my past builds!
Anyway, take pride in the fact that you have gone back and improved your model.

On another subject, I used a soldering iron to tighten up some monofilament rigging.  Worked well, but I had to turn the heat up to full power.  Don't touch the rigging! but get the iron close.  Thanks for the info.

No worries Ken. I really didn't think you were calling Me Out on the Sink Holes  ;D That being said if anyone sees Me doing something stupid and knows it is in My skill set to fix, Let Me Know! Use a PM if you are not comfortable Doing it on the thread  8) I am glad the Soldering Iron worked! Probably More control than a burning smoking Incense stick  ::)
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2021, 01:01:24 AM »
I finished off the interior...except for a few things to touch up. I added the bracing and control wires using HSS. The Tub was painted with a Polyscale grey mixed with a bit of Valejo light grey. The PC 10 is Valejo Olive green and brown mixed together. I also used lighter and darker mixes blended in to give all a worn look. Finally an oil wash was applied.

RAGIII

PS: I Lost the PE seat belt for the left side. ( The good News is that while searching for the belt I found the pilots step for the SPAD I had dropped days earlier.) So I had to make My own belt from paper and wire:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 01:12:27 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2021, 01:36:46 AM »
This is looking so good already Rick. Beautiful weathering!

Willem

Offline RichieW

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2021, 04:50:01 AM »
Great stuff Rick, your interior looks amazing and your scratch built seat belt is fantastic. I think it looks more realistic than photo etch so possibly a lucky accident. Especially when you factor in finding the Spad pilot's step. This looks like a fun project for you. :)

Richie