Author Topic: WNW DH2: J.T.B. McCudden 29 Squadron: Plus Albatros  (Read 29663 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: WNW DH2: J.T.B. McCudden 29 Squadron
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2021, 02:39:32 AM »
Your a building machine Rick and will follow along like always . Nice choice of subject as well , not a type we see often built .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2021, 03:55:21 AM »
This will be a fantastic build to follow. I've got the model in my stash, but it's not really at the top. Maybe you'll change that?!
/Fredrik

Thanks Fredrick. I think I am going to need to PM you about some serial # stencils  ::)
RAGIII

I'm sure you'll do this justice. 
BTW, what engine is used in this bird?

I hope so Ken  ;D  As far as I know the "Standard" engine is the 100HP Gnome MONOSOUPAPE  8)
RAGIII

Your a building machine Rick and will follow along like always . Nice choice of subject as well , not a type we see often built .

Alexis

Thanks Alexis. Maybe you will Get Pushy and work on your Roden build  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FAf

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2021, 06:00:16 AM »

Thanks Fredrick. I think I am going to need to PM you about some serial # stencils  ::)
RAGIII

Absolutely! Whenever you need them.
/F

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2021, 02:07:30 AM »
Not much of an update but I have begun to clean up the major parts. I do have a couple of questions.
1. Looking at the Vast Number of holes to be drilled I think I need to order some quality drill bits. That being said what are the recommended sizes from Drill Bits Unlimited that match a #80 and #79?

2. The Tail skid and rudder attachment looks like an accident waiting to happen. Just curious if anyone who has built this had any issues with breakage? If so what did you do to fix the part?

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2021, 07:13:06 AM »
Rick , my goal is to be back to building by Dec .

Yes , my stalled build . I'm planning on replacing the booms with metal rod . After thinking about just feel it is a better way to go . But then my FE 8 has plastic rod and is still holding strong .

Can pins be added ?

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline petrov27

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2021, 07:33:12 AM »
Not much of an update but I have begun to clean up the major parts. I do have a couple of questions.
1. Looking at the Vast Number of holes to be drilled I think I need to order some quality drill bits. That being said what are the recommended sizes from Drill Bits Unlimited that match a #80 and #79?

Hiya RAGIII - maybe I am misunderstanding what you need, but Drill Bits Unlimited lists drills #80 and #79 in various flute lengths both new bits and re-sharpened
https://drillbitsunlimited.com/Drill-Sizes-0035-to-037-P5632942.aspx

Highly recommend Drill Bits Unlimited - my current (non WW1, non Aircraft) project I am drilling a couple hundred holes in white metal - I am going through bits at a terrible rate lol
-Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2021, 12:36:15 PM »

Hiya RAGIII - maybe I am misunderstanding what you need, but Drill Bits Unlimited lists drills #80 and #79 in various flute lengths both new bits and re-sharpened
https://drillbitsunlimited.com/Drill-Sizes-0035-to-037-P5632942.aspx

Highly recommend Drill Bits Unlimited - my current (non WW1, non Aircraft) project I am drilling a couple hundred holes in white metal - I am going through bits at a terrible rate lol

I Think I am Metrically Challenged. I see tins like .o73 and have No Idea how that translates to #80  :-[ So that is what I need to know. Wha  .o whatever is the equivalent?
RAGIII

Offline petrov27

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2021, 01:42:01 PM »
In the drop down on the page I linked it shows the drill bit #, the metric size in mm and the site in inches:

-Patrick

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2021, 11:22:43 PM »
Hi Rick.
#80 = 0.0135"
#79 = 0.0145"

I would order more than one of each size.  I ordered some from them recently and a few of them were so dull they could not be used.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2021, 12:37:44 AM »
In the drop down on the page I linked it shows the drill bit #, the metric size in mm and the site in inches:

Thanks  ;D
RAGIII

Hi Rick.
#80 = 0.0135"
#79 = 0.0145"

I would order more than one of each size.  I ordered some from them recently and a few of them were so dull they could not be used.

Thanks  for clearing that up Ken. I will follow your advice and order multiples  8)
RAGIII!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2021, 01:30:01 AM »
I'd be tempted to tape cardboard either side of the tail skid to protect it. I'd probably still find a way to break it though.

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2021, 01:14:53 AM »
I'd be tempted to tape cardboard either side of the tail skid to protect it. I'd probably still find a way to break it though.

Richie

Not a bad idea Richie. On the other hand knowing My luck I would break it while tapiing the cardboard on  ;D
RAGIII

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2021, 03:12:28 AM »
Hi Rich,
Interesting profiles of his DH.2, both for No.29 Squadron but with different serial numbers,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2021, 03:48:15 AM »
Hi Rich,
Interesting profiles of his DH.2, both for No.29 Squadron but with different serial numbers,

Mike

Both are supposed to be aircraft flown By McCudden. It is possible He did indeed  fly both. That being said since Bob Pearsons conjectural scheme is based on Research from Alex Revell I do tend to trust it just a bit more than the Osprey book  :o  Still not decided on which one I will use but as both have the same basic traits as far as details I have a little while to make the decision  8)
RAGIII
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 04:16:36 AM by RAGIII »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2021, 02:44:27 AM »
Another Minor update: I have painted a basic beige color on  the interior. The wood framework will be darkened with Tamiya clear orange then covered with grey. I hope to do a bit of chipping and wear showing the wood peaking through  8) The fabric sides will get some weathering also.
RAGIII