Author Topic: Kotare's Spitfire  (Read 3092 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Kotare's Spitfire
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2021, 06:34:07 AM »
Jeroen , Yes Dragon/DML under the cyber hobby label released a 32 scale 109e 4-7 but I don't recall any earlier version released by them .

I have that kit in my stash and is far better then Eduards kit , not sure if Eduard has updated their tooling or have a new kit out but I will stick with the DML kit , price was 50 bucks CDN at the time I pick it up and for the level of detail it is farhead of the eduard kit .

Alexis

Yep, the Cyber Hobby 109 is the best of the 1/32nd E Model versions. I have built two of the Eduard kits with some corrections but someday might try to acquire the DML/Cyber Hobby kit. As for the Spitfire, I think doing a "New Tool" Mk.1a is a good choice for a new company. I might get one to do in 19 squadron markings. ( As it is Next year who knows if I will still be around and breathing  ;D) The Hurricane is also a good idea although Fly and PCM both did one they were not great as far as I have read fit wise. I wish Kotare the best of luck but as it is not WW1 I am not sure I will get one of the SPits. Really depends on the price for this retired guy  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2021, 01:58:36 PM »
Don't discount the WWI possibility - half the WNW crew is involved in Kotare

Steve

Offline jamieg

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2021, 12:11:40 PM »
Don't discount the WWI possibility - half the WNW crew is involved in Kotare

Steve

I am not discounting the possibility of them doing WWI subjects. But I am approaching my 67th birthday. I don't know how much longer I will be building models, though I continue to buy. A simple statement from the company as to its focus would be useful. I am perfectly content with the WNW approach of not always revealing specific subjects, but even they gave a sort of mission statement at the start to let us know what they were about. I actually delighted in the consternation that WNW release announcements produced in the community, as the 'profit must dictate' folks were thrown for  loops by kits of unusual aircraft announced from left field. A Spitfire is completely out of my ballpark though...

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2021, 05:23:06 PM »
If they’re the quality of Wingnuts then it’s got to be a positive whatever the subject.

If I was picking a first subject to get the company up and running, a Spit Mk1 would be a logical choice. I’m not sure Wingnuts were ever in it to make money, but this group would obviously need to. I don’t blame them.

It would be great to see it in the flesh. Maybe even the Lancaster could be resurrected?

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2021, 11:00:08 PM »
Definitely the safe route to an extent. I will gladly buy one. My hope is, with the staff they have, the know how to access the WNW best sellers may be there. I wouldn't expect a grand slam of kits all at once but if they are successful enough to continue on maybe a sprinkling of DVII's, and Alby's (insert your favs here) might be a possibility. To me a Spitfire is a bit of a mission statement - a conservative, safe route. I would suspect a Hurricane 1 would be the next safe bet using the philosophy they seem to currently have - well known subjects that have been slightly ignored by the mainstream. Jamieg - you have a solid 33 years left to build models - at least that's what people say when they see my stash "Geez Steve you'd have to live to a hundred to build all these"....not enough 0's says I........

Pipe Dreamin' Steve 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 11:07:53 PM by pepperman42 »

Offline jamieg

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2021, 06:44:30 AM »
Definitely the safe route to an extent. I will gladly buy one. My hope is, with the staff they have, the know how to access the WNW best sellers may be there. I wouldn't expect a grand slam of kits all at once but if they are successful enough to continue on maybe a sprinkling of DVII's, and Alby's (insert your favs here) might be a possibility. To me a Spitfire is a bit of a mission statement - a conservative, safe route. I would suspect a Hurricane 1 would be the next safe bet using the philosophy they seem to currently have - well known subjects that have been slightly ignored by the mainstream. Jamieg - you have a solid 33 years left to build models - at least that's what people say when they see my stash "Geez Steve you'd have to live to a hundred to build all these"....not enough 0's says I........

Pipe Dreamin' Steve

My eyesight is getting worse, I injured my dominant hand in May and now I've acquired lower back pain. At this rate, I won't be able to build in the very near future. ;-) You know when the leader yells "Do you want to live forever?" in all the heroic movies? Right now, I would probably jump right up and join him/her/it.

Jamie

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2021, 12:50:32 PM »
Jamie,
    I'm approaching my 78th and without going into a whining session let's just say my health is not very good and not great to support fine work and model building in general. Having said that I believe it's all about the fun of the hobby for me; as long as I enjoy it I'll keep plugging away at my stash and like Steve assume I'll still be doing so at 100! (Ya gotta believe!!)
    Keep at it as long as you can, it's good for the soul!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline loopyloop

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2021, 07:15:56 PM »
Dead right Lance' keep plugging along' though at 68 I do need magic glasses and at the start of the corvid crisis I , crashed running for the tram and broke my arm. So notwithstanding I built a Roden 1/32 Seimens with one arm( the wrong one) and haven't looked back.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2021, 06:33:22 PM »
I'll go against the general hobby trend these days and say I would be happy with a quality but simple kit without the over-engineered teeny tiny details that cost an arm and a leg and just dilute the model building experience.

Whatever Kotare do will depend entirely on what budget the company's owner allocates to the staff. The fact the staff includes some Wingnuts DNA does not mean the business has Sir Peter Jackson's budget. He has no connection with Kotare and that's official.

We can be assured the Kotare Spitfire will be stunning but I hope it's affordable and a straightforward build.

And for Gisbod - Guy I am told the ex Wingnuts Lancaster tooling has been sold to a company in China which is now preparing to produce it, but first has to create an instructions booklet from the parts. The sale of the tooling did not include the instructions.

There's no word on whether any other Wingnut moulds have been sold or licensed to other companies but I suspect not.

But don't expect Wingnut kits under the Kotare brand. Sir Peter Jackson owns all the copyrights of the Wingnuts catalogue.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ThePenguin

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2021, 01:57:44 PM »
I'll go against the general hobby trend these days and say I would be happy with a quality but simple kit without the over-engineered teeny tiny details that cost an arm and a leg and just dilute the model building experience.

Whatever Kotare do will depend entirely on what budget the company's owner allocates to the staff. The fact the staff includes some Wingnuts DNA does not mean the business has Sir Peter Jackson's budget. He has no connection with Kotare and that's official.

We can be assured the Kotare Spitfire will be stunning but I hope it's affordable and a straightforward build.

And for Gisbod - Guy I am told the ex Wingnuts Lancaster tooling has been sold to a company in China which is now preparing to produce it, but first has to create an instructions booklet from the parts. The sale of the tooling did not include the instructions.

There's no word on whether any other Wingnut moulds have been sold or licensed to other companies but I suspect not.

But don't expect Wingnut kits under the Kotare brand. Sir Peter Jackson owns all the copyrights of the Wingnuts catalogue.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

I got impatient and bought the HKM Lanc, oh well...I'd imagine the HP's would be a harder sale, large and complicated with less of an appeal to people than a Lancaster (at least outside of this forum and interest area), but digits crossed. I suspect Kotare will likely focus on bread and butter models to bring in the cash, and we can't get more bread and butter than a Spitfire :).

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2021, 06:19:32 PM »
Jamie,
    I'm approaching my 78th

Well, your body is anyway. Your online presence is far, far younger than that

Must be all that model building...

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2021, 11:02:05 PM »
    Thank you for that Richard! As John Denver sang, "Some days are diamonds, some days are stones" ......  ;)
Cheers!
Lance

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2021, 12:09:35 AM »

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Ah thanks Dave, that’s great to know, I hope they don’t dumb it down too much and keep the quality, but bound to be pricey for sure!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941