Author Topic: 1/32 BE2c  (Read 31264 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: 1/32 BE2c
« Reply #165 on: January 01, 2023, 08:45:34 PM »
Many thanks Stephen, I was toying with the idea of leaving some of the fuselage uncovered but the  main aim of this one is to achieve a translucent model. I will do a partial strip down model, possibly a Brisfit after the one in the RAF. museum.
Mrs W is still having violent coughing fits even after basking  in the Spanish sun since boxing day. She's definitely on the mend though.

Hi Willem, many thanks for dropping by and leaving such kind feedback. I had a bit of time on my hands and managed to press on a little. I'm hoping to get to the engine again soon, if I can get that done I think I will have done most of the hardest part and be able to see the finish line. Reaching it will be another matter entirely though!

Happy new year everybody, I wish you all the best of health, happiness and continued enjoyment of our lovely hobby.

Richie

Offline FAf

« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2023, 07:41:01 AM »
You've managed some fantastic things here, since I last commented on your build. It sure looks like you're moving on towards that finish line.

Did you get any of the Spanish sun as well?
/Fredrik

Offline RichieW

« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2023, 08:16:07 AM »
You've managed some fantastic things here, since I last commented on your build. It sure looks like you're moving on towards that finish line.

Did you get any of the Spanish sun as well?
/Fredrik

Many thanks Fredrik, I had a bit of time on my hands up to Christmas. Yes, we had a week in Malaga from Boxing Day. It was odd wandering around in shorts and a T Shirt while shops were playing things like Walking In a Winter Wonderland and White Christmas on their sound systems!

Richie

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2023, 07:23:51 AM »
It was odd wandering around in shorts and a T Shirt while shops were playing things like Walking In a Winter Wonderland and White Christmas on their sound systems!
Now you know a bit of what my life is like - summer Christmas with so, so many American songs about snow and cold!
Zac in NZ

Offline William Adair

« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2023, 09:06:47 AM »
Wow Richie, you are absolutely zooming along.  It is very inspiring and the glimpse inside the cockpit is superb!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2023, 03:22:55 AM »
It was odd wandering around in shorts and a T Shirt while shops were playing things like Walking In a Winter Wonderland and White Christmas on their sound systems!
Now you know a bit of what my life is like - summer Christmas with so, so many American songs about snow and cold!

There's an open market for a Kiwi Christmas Song just waiting to be exploited. All those songs about snow and reindeer must get very annoying for you!

Wow Richie, you are absolutely zooming along.  It is very inspiring and the glimpse inside the cockpit is superb!

Thanks William, I'm making it a goal to get as much detail into it as you manage to cram into your 1/144 builds! Circumstances mean I will have to slow down to my usual slower than treacle tempo for a month or so but I am hopeful of finishing this by Easter.

Well here is my first update update of the year, the seating arrangements have been sorted out and IP and other bulkheads are glued in place;

20230105_161426 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The seat belts were made from wine bottle foil and Tamiya tape. I took a photo etch fret from a Wingnut Wings Sopwith Pup in my stash and used it emboss the bels onto the foil. This was then reinforced with Tamiya tape backing and more tape was used to cover the leather portions. Nice and easy and feels like cheating, I like this method! The resulting belts are far from perfect but certainly good enough, I might give them an oil wash but not sure I can be bothered.

The forward bulkhead has a little storage space with a latch and hinges. I scribed the outline and added the hinges and latch with brass coloured foil that is on the back of a new scalpel blade packet. The hinges were bent over brass rod to give them the right shape. I don't think they will be visible but it was only a five minute job.

20230105_162634 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Has anyone noticed the elephant in the room yet?

The wicker seat was made using the method Hendie suggested when I was making my Bristol Scout, this time I measured a lot more carefully to ensure it would fit. The pilot's seat was made last year from folded aluminium sheet, I forgot to allow for the width of the aluminium supports that hold it to the fuselage so it had to be unfolded and given a little trim but all's well that ends well. I blame the kit designer, he clearly doesn't have much of a clue! The elephants is still there though, have you seen him yet? 🙄

20230105_161902 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

There are a few wires and odds and ends still to add to the cockpit before I add the last cell that holds the engine.

Thanks for looking in, best wishes all for a happy, healthy 2023.

Richie

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2023, 03:33:10 AM »
Well,

Good progress again Richie. Neat work all along. I like your method for making the seatbelts.

Could the elephant have something to do with finding back the first version of the instrument panel?  ;)

Willem

Offline RichieW

« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2023, 03:38:20 AM »
Thanks Willem, I was pleased with the seat belts. I once spent a couple of days making a Tamiya tape 1/32 Sutton harness for a Spitfire. This method took less than 20 minutes.

Your powers of observation mean the elephant has been spotted and I have to make another BE2c, doh!

Richie

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2023, 04:52:35 AM »
You're welcome   ;D

Online RAGIII

« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2023, 09:37:05 AM »
Other than saying your work is Superb this whole build is beyond Me! I also think that the Elephant is the original IP.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2023, 08:39:25 AM »
There's an open market for a Kiwi Christmas Song just waiting to be exploited. All those songs about snow and reindeer must get very annoying for you!
Oh we have plenty of them, they just don't get airtime like the US and British ones do both on the radio and in shops!
Zac in NZ

Offline DaveB

« Reply #176 on: January 09, 2023, 10:05:31 PM »
Great stuff, Richie!

Your interior looks superb - you could be fooled into thinking this is an actual kit

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2023, 12:43:10 AM »
Oh we have plenty of them, they just don't get airtime like the US and British ones do both on the radio and in shops!

I feel your pain!

Many thanks Rick and Dave, your generosity is much appreciated.

I have very little time for modelling at the moment but I have made a small step forward. The turtle deck was made in the Harry Woodman style by embossing the stringers onto thin card with a biro.

The rear part of the cockpit coaming behind the pilot's seat is an extra layer of styrene. I was going to just simulate this by masking and adding several layers of paint. I so wish I did because a lot of sanding and fettling was needed. I wasn't thinking very clearly at the time.

Turtle deck on. by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The coaming is just sitting in place at the moment. The 0.5mm brass prongs are glued into holes drilled right down into the fuselage frame uprights, the cabanes will be a slide fit in the same way I made the undercarriage legs. Hopefully this will simplify things later.

You may notice a clear piece of plastic sitting on the prongs, this is a rather crude jig I made so I can position the mounting holes in the top wing and the frame so they all line up accurately.

I may put this aside for a few weeks and dig a nice simple kit out of the stash so I don't rush things in the little time I have available for the next moth or so. Many thanks for your continued support, I will be back to it soon.

Richie

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2023, 04:52:36 AM »
Stunning work!  A real pleasure to watch your progress.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2023, 04:27:05 AM »
This is continuing to be quite an Impressive build! Lovely work on the turtledeck. The strut mounts should make it very sturdy!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler