Author Topic: Websites vs social media  (Read 5273 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Websites vs social media
« on: August 01, 2021, 07:39:10 PM »
Which has more influence for your hobby involvement- website model groups or social media platforms?

Every so often a member suggests we create a Facebook group to promote the Forum's interests so I would like to hear from members on how you regard social media groups and whether they influence your model buying or building?

This is not a preliminary to us announcing a Forum Facebook group - that is not planned because I don't think a social media group would bring any more value to our Forum and, frankly, we don't have the time or resources to try and run two parallel model groups.

There's also the issue of Facebook's sometimes weird interpretation of historical imagery - try uploading a photo of a German aircraft with a swastika on it and see your group placed in Facebook prison!

However I'm aware of a manufacturer or two now which do most of their promotion via Facebook groups and gauge likely sales from the number of "Likes" their posts attract. Is this the new face of market research?

How many of our members also follow social media groups ( I do), but do they influence what you build or will buy?

How many of us are on social media at all?

So how important is a website hobby group to you in providing information and helping in your kit buying, or do you prefer the social media platforms now?

Cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline macsporran

Re: Websites vs social media
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 08:02:43 PM »
An interesting question, Dave, and certainly very relevant.
FWIW I visit both fairly regularly : here and Britmodeller for websites and WNW Fans, Airfix, Revell and LSP on social on FB. However on Fb I adopt a nom de plume (Sam Spade) as I'm also a member of various local social media sites and the vitriol that is thrown around is quite staggering - issues like Scottish Independence bring out the very worst in my fellow citizens, and anonymity is worth preserving!

Probably due to the well run ownership of the websites, they tend to be very civilised fora, whereas FB can be a bit of a bearpit and some members seem to feel they have to post boring lengthy novels about why they are right and others wrong. However FB allows 'likes' or emogees to be posted against entries which guage public opinion pretty quickly.
I'm a bit of a joker and find FB great for a quick funny reply or picture which usually goes down well, but the swastika ban etc is annoying (although probably understandable).
Also some sites are run by very intolerant administrators with 'ban-hammers' being wielded against anything that doesn't fit their own particular world view.
I see a place for both: if an FB site closed I'd find another, if this website closed I'd be distraught 😩
Sandy

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 08:34:49 PM »
There are two reasons I joined this forum:

- there is no annoying advertising or need to choose "cookie-options" and as I stated before elsewhere on this forum,

- everybody is absolutely  civil.

In a world where everything evolves around making money (through "personalised" advertising) it is an absolute relief the our site is doing very well without.

I do have a Facebook account, but I only use it to "follow" both my daughters.

That being said, I am more than happy to pay money to keep this site and forum as it is.

Willem

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 09:52:01 PM »
I dumped my facebook + Whatsapp and instagram accounts  5 months ago.
I prefer coming to this forum direct...but! I do understand those who want a one-place-fits-all approach. I'm not one of them.

Keep up the great work, Dave.

Bob  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 12:24:44 AM »
Your question can clearly be answered: I will never join those companies like Facebook!
I find the openness of the internet most important! With the open protocols everyone can join, get and put information without control by someone else. That's why we have places like this.
Facebook and the other asocial media try to lock-in the users to their platform, hide information from others, try to get control and make money from the content of their users. So I will never support such business models!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 12:49:18 AM »
Forums!

Facebook does my head in - I've no idea how I could follow a build thread on there

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 12:53:33 AM »
Exactly, Frank...Facebook...Twitter...etc....all have morphed into something rather insidious...and speaking of insidious, this cancel culture thing?...little more than  peer pressure on steroids turned all the way up to eleven....I completely understand where you're coming from, Dave, you seek ways to improve the site but I vote nay.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline enathan

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 02:00:03 AM »
I'm very active on Facebook, I even administer a Facebook group devoted to my line of interest which is also my business/career (Irish & Celtic music), and I say NO. Let manufacturers do what they must do to keep their business going, I will keep my activities there strictly to my business. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 02:06:20 AM by enathan »

Offline ermeio

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 02:19:24 AM »
Forum, forever
social media have turned into a pot of hate and rage,
even if there are some well administered groups about ww1 aircraft models
but moderating them is a nightmare, I can imagine
er me

Offline crouthaj

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 03:08:37 AM »
Please, keep the Forum. I'm not on any social media, and I don't plan to join any social media.

Thanks!
Jason

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 03:10:14 AM »
Agree with the others . I just don't do social media at all want nothing to do with it . Don't have facebook , just don't see the reason behind it being plugged to it 24/7 , but that's how they take our money and keep us trapped by telling us what to say and think and spread the hate .

Have enough troubles in this world being a woman and don't want to get bombard buy nothing but dating and gross sex stuff .

I come here to get away for that toxic environment to share builds with friends developed over the years . I only post my builds here and the only other site which I post on is for woman were we share our lives  and have a good time chatting without getting harassed . Same as it is here , no adds and I love it .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2021, 04:38:11 AM »
Interesting responses here and I sense a feeling that this forum is a great go-to place - and very different in many ways to other social media.... and I must say social media is great for club activities and general international info... but, and big but, faar too much social angst and criticism involved, very strict and intensive moderation needed and very poor research potential (everything relevant just gets lost down the thread). So I admit this Forum is my happy place, there may not be frenetic activity that social media provides, but it is understanding, relevant and intuitive... and most members know why they are here! So I think concentrate on what we do best and enjoy the ride.... All the Best to you great folks here! Regards, Marc.

Offline Edo

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 02:46:58 PM »
agree with all the others.
I don’t even have a ‘social’ life whatsoever, so I really won’t know where to star from either.
ciao
edo

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 03:46:59 PM »
An interesting question, Dave, and certainly very relevant.
FWIW I visit both fairly regularly : here and Britmodeller for websites and WNW Fans, Airfix, Revell and LSP on social on FB. However on Fb I adopt a nom de plume (Sam Spade) as I'm also a member of various local social media sites and the vitriol that is thrown around is quite staggering - issues like Scottish Independence bring out the very worst in my fellow citizens, and anonymity is worth preserving!

Probably due to the well run ownership of the websites, they tend to be very civilised fora, whereas FB can be a bit of a bearpit and some members seem to feel they have to post boring lengthy novels about why they are right and others wrong. However FB allows 'likes' or emogees to be posted against entries which guage public opinion pretty quickly.
I'm a bit of a joker and find FB great for a quick funny reply or picture which usually goes down well, but the swastika ban etc is annoying (although probably understandable).
Also some sites are run by very intolerant administrators with 'ban-hammers' being wielded against anything that doesn't fit their own particular world view.
I see a place for both: if an FB site closed I'd find another, if this website closed I'd be distraught 😩
Sandy

Your words are mine, Sandy!

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 05:17:38 PM »
Agree with the others, stick to the website.

I'm on social media but that is for my political and union activities. It can be an absolute sewer and bare knuckle cage fight.

This forum is a breath of fresh air - calm, relaxing, informative and interesting.

Wouldn't want it any other way!!!
Eternal Apprentice